PDA

View Full Version : New picture taking thingy

ubeaut
11th September 2008, 09:16 AM
Did a bad thing, good thing, bad thing, no..... GOOD thing.

Purchased a new Nikon D200 Digital SLR with a 18mm - 200mm VR lens and a UV filter lens.

Now all I need to do is learn how to drive the beast. Oh yeah and beef up a bit to carry it around. Weighs half a tonne. I actually went to buy a little point n shoot pocket-rocket to take away with me and the boss said "You haven't been happy with the big Sony 8mp since it got drowned in sea water 2 years ago. Your old SLR got killed a few years ago and you've always wanted to replace it. I have the little 8mp Nikon no-brainer, so why not get what you want to replace the others."

Coulda knocked me over with a feather.

Looked at what was available and was ready to but a D80, but would you believe none of the Elizabeth street camera shops had one. When I decide to buy something it's then not a day, week or month later but there and then. So decided to go up a level or two and ended up with the D200 partly because I did a really good deal and it was aided by the $300 rebate on offer for it from Nikon. Saved almost $700 on the lens and body.

I've found the best thing I could possibly have found on the camera. It actually has a reset button. After my first hour or so of trying every button, dial, wheel, and all the hundreds and hundreds of settings, it said to me "You're an idiot, no one can possibly take a picture with these settings." Try as I may I couldn't get the camera to stop laughing at me. So I finally looked at the instructions and there it was something that everything in life should have... A reset button (well 2 actually) I pressed them and I'm sure I heard the camers say "aaaahhhhhhh".

Think I might take them up on their free classes. Might actually do a few lessons at the local TAFE as well.

Cheers - Neil :photo3:

wheelinround
11th September 2008, 11:57 AM
Neil great stuff

What no photo of it :p

:roll::D Trouble is forum size is still 100kb 800x600

fenderbelly
11th September 2008, 12:44 PM
you may get very frustrated learning how to use it but you will enjoy it anyway.

I dont think it's the actual learning to use it as much as not know what the different terminology actually means.

Cheers Fred

joe greiner
11th September 2008, 10:31 PM
Good luck on the learning curve, Neil. By the time you finish the last of the "instructions," you forget the first.

No photos, indeed. Let's see: Set up a bunch of mirrors, ...

Always, always, always, carry spare batteries. Bugs the daylights out of me when I've gotten everything set up just right, and it tells me, "I'm tired; I want a snack."

Cheers,
Joe

Sawdust Maker
13th September 2008, 12:07 AM
Neil
good stuff
should have bought the canon :D
I think the idea is to have a very good play with it, try various combinations over a few days and just get used to it.
I tend to mainly use the aperture priority setting, as I can dictate the depth of field. but the kids playing sport well thats something else agian

enjoy the toy :2tsup:
cheers
Nick

sawtooth
13th September 2008, 08:56 PM
Good camera Neil:2tsup:; I have one but sorry to say D200 has been around awhile which explains your discount. The best advice I could give is to it put on P [stands for professional; only joking] and just take photos, then start to explore the other settings. Also consider getting onto photography forums like http://www.photoforum.com.au/
http://www.photoforum.com.au/ and in no time you will taking photos like this one.

Cheers

Pops
13th September 2008, 11:41 PM
Hi Neil,

Well done. Good choice. :2tsup: Have been thinking of doing the same for a little while, but as is usual I am procrastinating.

I do like Nikon and have Nikon film cameras. You should be able to use any old manual focus Nikon lenses on your D200, (if you have any). You can get these cheap these days, compared to the new Digital Auto Focus ones. Many people use a 50mm f/1.8 (manual focus or Auto Focus version) on the Nikon DX Digital cameras for general shots. It gives you a digital focal length of about 72mm (Ithink) on the D200, and it is a very sharp and fast lens. 72mm is not bad for portrait shots.

Am sure you will love this camera.

Oh yes. One site I have been visiting for years learning about Nikon gear and digital cameras in general is Digital Photography Review, dpreview.com. Their reviews of cameras are very comprehensive. Phil Askey (dpreview) is well regarded internationally for his reviews as far as I can make out.

So for a great review, that explains the D200 features and menus etc. with hints and tips go here, it might be useful. Plenty of other information here too, forums for Nikon bodies and lenses.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond200/

Look forward to seeing some shots posted.

Cheers,
Pops

fenderbelly
14th September 2008, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the link Pops:2tsup:

dohboy
24th September 2008, 10:57 PM
Neil,

Great buying, and a damn fine choice. I purchased a D80 in mid July, and have clocked up 3600+ shots so far. Great choice in the VR lens, I have the non VR equivilant, but cant say I have seen any major issues. I am lucky enough to have access to a nice couple of 'higher end' lenses, and a nice 50mm macro lens would have to be my fav so far (other then the 18-200).

I have to agree with sawtooth...P in my books stands for 'P'retty impressive! Have tweeked the settings a little and now...wow...what a difference.

I too love the reset..my suggestion..Nikon should have it as a single top mounted button, about 100-125mm diameter with a red dome shaped top - marked PANIC.

Happy shooting!

Dohboy

Kaiser Soze
25th September 2008, 05:43 PM
This may have to be a new thread ... but what did you tweak on your Nikon to make the improvements?

dohboy
25th September 2008, 09:04 PM
I would love to tell you all how fantastic I am, and how the camera is just extension of the photographers obviously highly sensitive and finely tuned eye. I could then go on for hours about the months and months of expirementation, trial and error. But I am way too honest.....

....I just read this article:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d80/users-guide/index.htm

This guy puts it simply, and explains the changes. I think he has similar info for other camers too.

Well worth the read.

Dohboy

Kaiser Soze
26th September 2008, 01:42 PM
good site thankyou ... i'll stick to 'P' for Professional until I absorbe it though!