PDA

View Full Version : Router Mounts

Ch4iS
11th September 2008, 04:32 PM
I've been trying to find a easy program that will export as dxf or eps as I can send it stright to the plastic mob and they can make up the mounts for me.

I have already made the mount in google sketchup

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/7603/hdperoutermountyo2.th.jpg (http://img374.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hdperoutermountyo2.jpg)

Any software recomendations for the idiot :P, took me long enough to use sketchup

snowyskiesau
11th September 2008, 04:59 PM
I've just downloaded a free 2D package called cadX11 (http://www.graytechsoftware.com/products/cadx11/index.asp).
There is an upgrade available ($29.95) that provides 3D features.

I've no idea whether it's any good as I've never used a CAD/drawing package before.
All I've done so far is import some DXF files.
Still getting to grips with Sketchup too.

Greolt
11th September 2008, 05:03 PM
What part of the country are you located BlueRay?

I could probably cut them for you.

Greg (Geelong)

Ch4iS
11th September 2008, 09:48 PM
What part of the country are you located BlueRay?

I could probably cut them for you.

Greg (Geelong)

NSW

Quoted estimate was $22 for each mount like that (20mm HDPE), as a user offered to convert to DXF for free I would rather learn myself as I plan to purchase more perspex/HDPE ect. and it would be good if I can learn how to make them in DXF format.

NP ill give the software a go snowyskiesau (http://www.woodworkforums.com/member.php?u=11607) Thanks :)

Greolt
17th September 2008, 09:26 PM
Got your PM BlueRay

I have redrawn the bracket. The clamping tab was a bit flimsy.

See if this will suit your needs. Most dimensions are as you supplied.

Do you want one or two? Can you send me the material?

Greg

kmthor
18th September 2008, 12:13 AM
you can export to a DXF file from SU

km

Ch4iS
18th September 2008, 01:17 AM
Got your PM BlueRay

I have redrawn the bracket. The clamping tab was a bit flimsy.

See if this will suit your needs. Most dimensions are as you supplied.

Do you want one or two? Can you send me the material?

Greg

nice. what did you use to make that drawing?

I wanted to get 2 pcs incase I stuff one up.

The perspex mob was backlogged so I dont think I can get anything without the wait.

BTW thanks for the dxf will make things alot easier if you are unable to cut it for me :D

Ch4iS
18th September 2008, 01:18 AM
you can export to a DXF file from SU

km

It has the option but it is not selectable. maby cause of the way I was using it as a 3d object?

Greolt
18th September 2008, 08:51 AM
what did you use to make that drawing?

Progecad 2008 Smart is pretty much the same as Autocad Light except that it is free for private use.

http://www.progecad.com/compra/index.asp?left=progecad2008smart&lang=eng

Solid Edge also has a free 2D program. A9cad and AllyCad are others. Look around there are plenty of free options in 2D

Greg

Greolt
18th September 2008, 06:05 PM
BlueRay

If I get your postal address before 5:45 PM I will send these tonight.

See PM.

Greg

Ch4iS
19th September 2008, 12:06 AM
BlueRay

If I get your postal address before 5:45 PM I will send these tonight.

See PM.

Greg

Greolt what a legend, made the mounts for me :D

and the build continues . . . . . . .

rodm
19th September 2008, 12:21 AM
He certainly is and you are by no means the first person he has helped. He would even be a decent bloke if he didn't follow red and black. :D

crocky
19th September 2008, 09:36 AM
He certainly is and you are by no means the first person he has helped. He would even be a decent bloke if he didn't follow red and black. :D

What he said :D

Ch4iS
19th September 2008, 02:36 PM
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/1094/s6300275vs5.th.jpg (http://img401.imageshack.us/my.php?image=s6300275vs5.jpg)

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/3291/s6300276uq2.th.jpg (http://img227.imageshack.us/my.php?image=s6300276uq2.jpg)

Got the mounts today :)

Just looking and thinking, would it be wise to add a support at the top of the router as the aluminium is only like 10mm thick. would it bend under the stress of the router at the very end?

Greolt
19th September 2008, 03:33 PM
Not because the al plate will flex but maybe because the HDPE will a whisker.

If I had realised this was not an MDF Z axis I would have made the mount out of Al.

I would leave it for now and see how it goes.

If a top support looks like it would help it won't need to be much. Even a half bracket and cable tie.

That is a nice Z axis. Do you have any travel to spare? Could you possibly move the bottom bearing down 10 or 15mm?

Just to spread them a bit would improve it's inherent rigidity.

I know....... I am a bit anal about keeping every thing rigid and close. :)

Greg

Ch4iS
19th September 2008, 04:07 PM
I spent a fortune on the Z axis for my next build so its not a permament solution for this build I was going to use it to build its own z axis.

It is unmovable unless I drill into the plate which I am too scared of stuffing up :p

I'll leave it for now and just use the single bracket and once up and running I will first make a bracket for the top out of MDF.

If it looks like things might snap/bend I will add a brace for the top but I have to find someone who can supply me with the right screws as I found out the 3/16 from bunnings is not the right thread. Any online recomendations?

Greolt
19th September 2008, 06:28 PM
Need to go to a bolt shop like Coventry Fasteners. There is one in Minto.

Bunnings is only for house wives.:)

Greg

Ch4iS
19th September 2008, 07:51 PM
Need to go to a bolt shop like Coventry Fasteners. There is one in Minto.

Bunnings is only for house wives.:)

Greg

Thanks once again :D, I'll see if I can get down there tommorow.

appiwood
19th September 2008, 09:32 PM
Hello Blueray

I would doubt you would bend the 10mm Al. section unless you had large motors on your X & Y that could drag the tool bit fast enough with the router stalled, I would guess ( from first hand experience ) that your motors would stall. If you are worried about the plate, can you bolt some stiffeners to the side of the plate, that would turn the flat section into a C channel and would greatly increase the strength.

Ed

Ch4iS
20th September 2008, 01:20 AM
Hello Blueray

I would doubt you would bend the 10mm Al. section unless you had large motors on your X & Y that could drag the tool bit fast enough with the router stalled, I would guess ( from first hand experience ) that your motors would stall. If you are worried about the plate, can you bolt some stiffeners to the side of the plate, that would turn the flat section into a C channel and would greatly increase the strength.

Ed

I had thought of 3 options before,

1. build a clamp for the top (my best option I think, neat and doesnt affect the X axis lenth)

2. Have a 100x130 20mm HDPE plate that screws to the 10mm alu plate and then the mount screws to the HDPE.

3. Do what you said. There was not 20mm clearance so it would involve a thinner material + it would affect the airflow of the router.

I am running 269 motors but I have a 5:1 ratio (might change) the belts started to slip before the motor started to stall. (building a new clamp now which will not slip at all) so im not sure what will happen if the router goes out or something. I recon if I sat on the gantry the motor would not stall, I have yet to try :U

All should be good with just the single mount, I just would not run the machine very fast when I get it up and running.

appiwood
20th September 2008, 07:59 AM
Hello Blueray

I had another look at your photo, if you fix a section of 25mm by 5mm steel to each side of the 10mm plate you shouldn't loose and capacity as the steel shouldn't extend out past the bearing blocks, the air flow shouldn't be impeded by a small section like that.

With you belts slipping, do you have a flat on the shaft for the grub screw to tighten against, is the belt/s slipping or jumping teeth?

Can you post some photos of your machine, you show me yours, I'll show you mine. 8-))

Ed

crocky
20th September 2008, 11:01 AM
Hello Blueray

Can you post some photos of your machine, you show me yours, I'll show you mine. 8-))

Ed

That sounds like a good idea :)

Ch4iS
20th September 2008, 01:00 PM
Hello Blueray

I had another look at your photo, if you fix a section of 25mm by 5mm steel to each side of the 10mm plate you shouldn't loose and capacity as the steel shouldn't extend out past the bearing blocks, the air flow shouldn't be impeded by a small section like that.

With you belts slipping, do you have a flat on the shaft for the grub screw to tighten against, is the belt/s slipping or jumping teeth?

Ed

currently its in pieces being painted, reason is it was starting to rust.

I will post up picks. When its back together which wont be for some time cause each layer of paint takes 6-8 hours to dry :(

The Belts were slipping with my homemade belt clamps which are attached to the X axis, I was at the time trying to see if the motors would stall so the grantry was pushing me, kinda hard to explain.

25x5mm? do you mean a flat bar? If so that or angle would work just fine.

appiwood
20th September 2008, 06:46 PM
Hello blueray

Flat or angle would work but flat would ( IMO ) be easier to fit, tomorrow I have to do something like it to the Z of a machine I'm building, I haven't had any luck posting photos here but I'll work out something so you can see what I mean.

Ed

Ch4iS
20th September 2008, 07:15 PM
Hello blueray

Flat or angle would work but flat would ( IMO ) be easier to fit, tomorrow I have to do something like it to the Z of a machine I'm building, I haven't had any luck posting photos here but I'll work out something so you can see what I mean.

Ed

Re: photos just use imageshack.us it will provide a thumbnail and doesnt provide a oversized picture. If you do use it use the forum 1 code.

I will go to the steel mob on monday and will see what I can grab. Also just thinking, steel angle isnt all that accurate in terms of the inner angle normally with a curve. So i'll just get some bar.

Greolt
20th September 2008, 08:30 PM
BlueRay

I don't think you need to worry about the 10mm plate.

It is one of the stronger links in that chain.

If you find a need to beef it up look to the weaker links first. It will be fine.

Greg

appiwood
21st September 2008, 07:07 PM
Hello Blueray

Here are some photos as promised.

The yellow steel framed machine is the prototype of one that I am developing for sale, it is basically finished bau am now going to change the X & Y from ballscrew to belt, has a nominal 1000mm by 500mm by 100mm cutting area.

The other one is " my " machine, it is the 3rd re-build, belt on the X & Y and ballscrew on the Z, I have only really cut some foam nosecones for a bloke in Sydney, ( were about 1100mm long, 250mm wide and 90mm high, single pass with a 100mm foam cutter ). not sure what to do with it as I am planning a 3.6m by 1.6m new machine, will most likely " tidy it up " and try to sell it.

The box visible in the last photo is a 25mm thick MDF box with 2 doors / windows that are double glazed, with the Triton router going full tilt and the doors closed you can talk normally in the next room, outside the garage you can't hear the router, I bought two spindles, both are very quiet,better on the ears than the Triton - sure the neighbours like it to.

Your turn.

Ed

Zoot
21st September 2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the photo's ... just luuv photos ... lots of ideas ... keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Alan

rodm
22nd September 2008, 11:29 AM
Hi Ed,
You have been doing a lot of work. Nice machines :2tsup:

Ch4iS
22nd September 2008, 05:26 PM
Went down and got some screws :( gave me 5mm instead of 3/16

Tried it on one of the other holes, went in with little effort but stripped most of the thread on the way out. \

My fault, I should have said something when I know the whole design was in imperial measurements. All I did was give him one of the motor mount screws and asked for 35mm long ones.

Ch4iS
22nd September 2008, 06:54 PM
Went back down, and they gave me too long a screws this time but it clears everything, oh well. They had to do some looking around and I dont think they were overly excited that they had to do all that effort for 4 screws Min Order was $10 so I got a drill bit and just gave them the $10.

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/263/s6300287kb5.th.jpg (http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=s6300287kb5.jpg)http://img213.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif (http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php)

Its alot stronger than I was expecting.

Thanks for all your help with the mount greolt.

Greolt
22nd September 2008, 07:53 PM
The little extra length might allow you to put a nut on the back of the one with the damaged thread. :wink:

Greg

Ch4iS
22nd September 2008, 10:39 PM
The little extra length might allow you to put a nut on the back of the one with the damaged thread. :wink:

Greg

Its the inner bottom hole on the left, It will most likely be never used.

The Z axis looks so pretty now against the rest of my machine :P