PDA

View Full Version : Ficus Root

wheelinround
11th September 2008, 07:39 PM
I have enjoyed turning this Ficus Root this is 2nd item a small Desk pen caddy for daughter at work.

I love the grain sanded to 600 finished with EEE & Shellawax

photo's dont do the grain justice

Ray

Sawdust Maker
11th September 2008, 08:28 PM
looks good
like the grain
wish I had a block of this ficus

might I suggest you don't use the camera flash and try natural lighting - but then if you have to take it after daylight hours do what you must :p

Ad de Crom
12th September 2008, 12:22 AM
Ray, very neat, you're right, very nice grain.
Always a fun to make useful stuff, isn't it.

Ad :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
12th September 2008, 12:43 AM
Nicely done Ray:2tsup:

How was the root for turning...easy or difficult?:?

Cheers,
Ed :D

Cliff Rogers
12th September 2008, 12:45 AM
Back up just a bit & take the pic without the flash, turn on plenty of other lights & try putting a lamp near it. :2tsup:

wheelinround
12th September 2008, 10:43 AM
Thank you all

Cliff yes indoors poor lighting :-

so here's new shots day light including the original root shots

Sawdust Maker I have 2 pieces left one a bit larger than this and the other is about 12in x 2" There maybe a larger piece I have stashed away.:rolleyes:

I know if I get the chance of some again I'd give it a go thank's goes to council footpath repairs outside my door :2tsup:

Ed the root was as light as could be almost same weight as Balsa Wood soft as blazes spur drive if not secure (like when first mounted it tear it to shreds). Hold well in chuck, turns well powdery only because its so damn dry, with this piece I used a Forstner bit to remove the core as much as I could then detail gouge. The outside a Skew and the detail gouge :2tsup: easy dig in's :roll:. Sanding is a dream I used water 250 down to 600 after rough sanding with 150.

I would love a trunk piece to see what the difference is.

munruben
12th September 2008, 10:49 AM
Very nice Ray. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

hughie
12th September 2008, 01:16 PM
nice one Ray, hmmm I always struggle with whats a good shape for a pen caddy.

Cliff Rogers
12th September 2008, 11:29 PM
Yup, that is better. :2tsup:

Hardenfast
14th September 2008, 06:33 PM
Nice job Ray. Was the ficus dead for a while and therefore already somewhat dried, or did you turn it green? Who'd have thought that sort of grain was in a boring old ficus?

I haven't been around for a while - nice to see everyone's busy!

Wayne

wheelinround
19th September 2008, 03:38 PM
Nice job Ray. Was the ficus dead for a while and therefore already somewhat dried, or did you turn it green? Who'd have thought that sort of grain was in a boring old ficus?

I haven't been around for a while - nice to see everyone's busy!

Wayne

No council just had to repair foot path lots of kids use it school close by.

It was very dry as I have had it for a year I'd love to see if the trunk produces the same grains.

ok last of the Ficus I think sorry about photo's

<title id="ridTitle">Blank</title><style type="text/css"> body { margin: 5px; font-size:12pt; font-family:"Arial"; color: black; scrollbar-base-color: #d4d4d4; scrollbar-arrow-color: #020202; scrollbar-darkshadow-color: #4f4f4f; scrollbar-face-color: #c2c2c2; scrollbar-highlight-color: #ececec; scrollbar-shadow-color: #878787; scrollbar-track-color: #d4d4d4;} ol { margin- 5px; margin-bottom: 5px;} ul { margin- 5px; margin-bottom: 5px;} blockquote { margin- 5px; margin-bottom: 5px;} </style>day in the garage turning another couple of ficus pieces
Jjust about ready to sand and it broke the neck of the vase shape one. Near gave up, brain wave had a piece which I attached to bottom of broken bit used epoxy glue, returned top bit sanded and then coated with the colour of my daughters Ford Focus had some touch up paint to highlight the grain gives it rustic copper sulphate colour in oepn grained areas. Some more sanding and final finish insert the vial as its a single rose vase.

and rewaxed the other one.

first attempt at egg shape

and the last bit more play time female shape grain gives a face and figure shape

off to garage again

Cliff Rogers
19th September 2008, 10:29 PM
Pssttt... Ray... take the cat/beer/forehead off the keyboard. :D

wheelinround
20th September 2008, 07:44 PM
Pssttt... Ray... take the cat/beer/forehead off the keyboard. :D

None of the above Cliff just cut and paste and to lazy to alter it.

OGYT
21st September 2008, 11:06 AM
Nice pen caddy, Ray. :)
Looks sorta like American Ash. Beautiful grain. She should be happy to get it.

Little Festo
21st September 2008, 12:16 PM
looks good
like the grain
wish I had a block of this ficus

might I suggest you don't use the camera flash and try natural lighting - but then if you have to take it after daylight hours do what you must :p

Sawdust Maker I have two good sized logs, feel free to collect:U. Not too bad to turn at all, have made some large textured pieces. Need to watch out for the borers though.

Peter