PDA

View Full Version : a couple o' mallets.

tea lady
11th September 2008, 10:52 PM
I am taking part in "dark side" furniture making" course at my Community woodies. First we have had to fix up the benches to be a bit more "dark side".:cool: One of the tasks was to make mallets. So off to the lathes did go the turners in the group. I noticed there was a slim version of this design the was use by the "carving" group. (Italics make then sound suss doesn't it.:D) I like the nob on the end off the handle. It seemed to give the hand a more secure feeling. I also wanted a more ergonomic handle. Others said that the mallets were only for hitting the back of a chisel. Knowing my hands are already sore from pottery, I was thinking that the more important business end was the bit the had to be held all day while you hit the chisel. Anyway, here are the ones I made. The teacher was so impressed with my design he decided he didn't have enough mallets in HIS tool box.:D:cool:

thefixer
11th September 2008, 11:16 PM
Nice looking mallets A M. I expect to see the darkside furniture you use these on in the funiture makers forum. BTW I incorporated the Tassie Blackwood you gave me into a box I am making for a friend. Will post pics when it is finished.

Cheers
Shorty

Cliff Rogers
11th September 2008, 11:25 PM
:2tsup:

Look good, I've made several similar ones, I'd have left the handle a bit thicker at the top near the head, yours look a bit dainty.... kinda like a 'girls' mallet. :D

Sawdust Maker
11th September 2008, 11:28 PM
tl

nice mallets
something I've been meaning to make
great effort

Tornatus
11th September 2008, 11:38 PM
:clap3: Very elegantly shaped mallets, Tea Lady (take no notice of that old unreconstructed MCP, Cliff).

BTW, there's a very rude joke evoked by the shape of your handles, but I wouldn't dare even hint at it in the presence of a lady of your refinement. I'm just glad you find them comfortable.

tea lady
11th September 2008, 11:41 PM
:2tsup:

Look good, I've made several similar ones, I'd have left the handle a bit thicker at the top near the head, yours look a bit dainty.... kinda like a 'girls' mallet. :D

Girl's mallets? Funny that. Another reason to make my own. (The teacher made off with the slightly bigger one. :rolleyes:) Biseps are big enough already.:D (Sculptor friend wants me to make him one a bit beefier .:cool: With a bigger handle to fit his hand.:2tsup:)

Waldo
12th September 2008, 12:02 AM
I like 'em Tea Lady, don't worry about the comments from the peanut gallery, they're just wishing they'd turned them - like me. :2tsup:

Novice turner indeed. :no:

DJ’s Timber
12th September 2008, 12:06 AM
Very nice, :whs: too about the others, ignore them :q

tea lady
12th September 2008, 12:20 AM
BTW, there's a very rude joke ....
:rolleyes: There usually is.:p Not sure I'd 'a' made 'em quite that shape for "other" uses though.:no: Might have better grip then a rolling pin though.:mwahaha:

Woodwould
12th September 2008, 12:20 AM
Me likee! :2tsup:

BobL
12th September 2008, 12:21 AM
turn-rific!

Ed Reiss
12th September 2008, 12:38 AM
Very nice TL!!!:2tsup:

.........and now you have something to bash Cliff with the next time you see him.:roll:

Cheers,

Ed :D

Cliff Rogers
12th September 2008, 12:43 AM
.........and now you something to bash Cliff with the next time you see him.

I wouldn't try that... the head would break off at that skinny bit in the handle. :D

Frank&Earnest
12th September 2008, 12:55 AM
I tried to keep my mouth shut but you are all bashing poor Cliff for being honest... shame on you!

Tea Lady, the turning is aesthetically wonderful, but has two practical weaknesses: what Cliff said and the protruding acute angle of the knob, which could be uncomfortable against the wrist.

Who said "The best friends are those who criticise you"? I must be everybody's best friend....:D

Waldo
12th September 2008, 12:59 AM
Cliff's old enough to know I'm having fun with him. :U

(nothing wrong at all with an honest critique)

Frank&Earnest
12th September 2008, 01:05 AM
Cliff's old enough to know I'm having fun with him. :U

(nothing wrong at all with an honest critique)

Of course, hope you took my comment the same way even though I forgot the :U...:wink:

prozac
12th September 2008, 01:40 AM
Nicely balanced appearance with functionality TL, and these are your first turnings?
Well done.

rodent
12th September 2008, 01:55 AM
So ok cliff ( hanger ) , thinks the head to handle sections to thin , but my question is . What's the wood .

Ed Reiss
12th September 2008, 06:08 AM
I wouldn't try that... the head would break off at that skinny bit in the handle. :D

Know what I like about this forum :? ....you guys have a great sense of humor and know how to take a joke!:2tsup:

Rum Pig
12th September 2008, 08:50 AM
I'm with Rodent it looks fine but what is that beautiful timber:?

if i was to has a guess I would say Iron wood:rolleyes:

Andy Mac
12th September 2008, 08:57 AM
Hi tea lady,
Very elegant looking mallets, well done!:2tsup:

Cheers,

oldiephred
12th September 2008, 09:13 AM
Delicate handles?, too thin? IMHO those commentators may not know how to use a carving mallet. They are used on sharp chesils and are not for pile driving. I think they are quite attractive and would make good decorations in the right place.
Well done

tea lady
12th September 2008, 10:36 AM
I tried to keep my mouth shut but you are all bashing poor Cliff for being honest... shame on you!

Tea Lady, the turning is aesthetically wonderful, but has two practical weaknesses: what Cliff said and the protruding acute angle of the knob, which could be uncomfortable against the wrist.

Who said "The best friends are those who criticise you"? I must be everybody's best friend....:D

You're prolly right about the acute angle on th nob. Looking at the other mallet that was my inspiration I noticed that its nob was a fair bit rounder.. My deign morphed in the execution into something that looked good on the lather. I will have to try using then and see if it it uncomfortable.:cool: As for the narrow bit, we'll be testing that too. How hard is it to break a bit of red gum? I don't know if I'll be able to hit something hard enough to do damage to it. We'll see how the teacher goes.:)

I'll turn the next one with a few modifications.:cool: Thanks for the thoughts guys.:2tsup:

Waldo
12th September 2008, 10:37 AM
We're a thoughtful bunch, if not a bit rough around the edges. :U

tea lady
12th September 2008, 10:46 AM
Nicely balanced appearance with functionality TL, and these are your first turnings?
Well done.Not my FIRST turnings. Beem turning since about April. (When was that Turnfest at Erns place?)

So ok cliff ( hanger ) , thinks the head to handle sections to thin , but my question is . What's the wood .

I'm with Rodent it looks fine but what is that beautiful timber:?

if i was to has a guess I would say Iron wood:rolleyes:
The timber is red gum. Was thinking about the thin bit as I was turning it but thought red gum might be able to take it. Just kept fiddling with the shape till it felt nice in my hand. My fingers are a bit athritic I think, from the pottery.:shrug: We'll see won't we. Finished with spray in satin varnish. Brought up the grain beautifully didn't it.:2tsup: (should I say sanded to 400 grit?:rolleyes:)

Old phart.....Make good decoration? :oo: Now I AM insulted.:C.........Just kidding.:D

Will turn another one for my freind with these modifications and post it next week.:2tsup:

wheelinround
12th September 2008, 10:50 AM
I Like the design no slip out of hand so easy :2tsup: not bad for an Old Old Tea Lady :p

tea lady
12th September 2008, 11:01 AM
I Like the design no slip out of hand so easy :2tsup: not bad for an Old Old Tea Lady :p

Few too many "old"s there I think!!!:oo::C

Gil Jones
12th September 2008, 12:05 PM
Hi Tea Lady,
Very nicely turned mallets!! I reckon it would be a toss-up about the handle end, but it would seem to me that it would not be as likely to pop out of my hand as it is. As for the neck thickness, well while it does seem a bit narrow for me to whack away with, it may be fine for your use of it. The form is fine, and the wood is grand looking.
After looking up Red Gum, we have one here called Sweet Gum that is supposed to be the same species (we shall see). Sweet Gum does grow here in southern Georgia, so I'll have to try some of it. Was your mallet wood billet dry, or green?
Cheers,

Woodwould
12th September 2008, 12:21 PM
My lathe bench was made from red gum simply because when I first arrived here, I went to Adams' and asked for the heaviest timber they had (to dampen some of the vibrations produced while turning). I never bothered to refine the surfaces other than plane them. I had no idea red gum could look so pleasant.

Is jarrah as heavy as red gum? Apparently it comes up quite nicely too.

Frank&Earnest
12th September 2008, 12:42 PM
Is jarrah as heavy as red gum? Apparently it comes up quite nicely too.

It is actually heavier (0.65-0.80 as compared to 0.52-0.60). Although many use it for mallets I find it a bit too splintery for the purpose. Same as red ironbark, which is even heavier, above 1.

Woodwould
12th September 2008, 12:57 PM
Very interesting, thanks. I seem to remember the red gum I bought for my bench had some huge voids in it (gum veins?), Does all red gum suffer from this, or are there furniture grades, or is it a case of pot luck?

tea lady
12th September 2008, 02:29 PM
Was your mallet wood billet dry, or green?
Cheers,
'twas an old fence post. Whether there are voids in it is a matter of pot luck. I've got another bit that is half turned into a candle holder. (A bit more modern that Woodwould's design!:D) It has pale sap wood AND a void. Sometimes you can be lucky.:cool::D

As regards splintery Jarrah , I've have two differant lots of Jarrah. One was splintery as all get out, and the other finished real nice.:U

Woodwould
12th September 2008, 05:07 PM
I like the bottom one (http://www.petermcbride.com/planemaking/mallets.htm), it looks a bit like some rosewoods.

http://www.petermcbride.com/planemaking/images/mallet4.jpg<O:p</O:p

tea lady
12th September 2008, 05:13 PM
I like the bottom one (http://www.petermcbride.com/planemaking/mallets.htm), it looks a bit like some rosewoods.

http://www.petermcbride.com/planemaking/images/mallet4.jpg<o>:p</o>:p
They look like boy's mallets.:p

Woodwould
12th September 2008, 05:27 PM

Indeed. Thet're not nearly as refined and feminine as yours. :;

Sawdust Maker
12th September 2008, 08:48 PM

given the previous comments
:rofl:

nalmo
12th September 2008, 09:04 PM
Lovely mallets - red gum turns up nicely, but due to it's short grain, may lack the strength required if the mallet is used aggressively. I'd thicken up the junction between the handle and head - we don't want it snapping off and flying across the workshop, do we.

joe greiner
13th September 2008, 12:23 AM
Hi Tea Lady,
Very nicely turned mallets!! I reckon it would be a toss-up about the handle end, but it would seem to me that it would not be as likely to pop out of my hand as it is. As for the neck thickness, well while it does seem a bit narrow for me to whack away with, it may be fine for your use of it. The form is fine, and the wood is grand looking.
After looking up Red Gum, we have one here called Sweet Gum that is supposed to be the same species (we shall see). Sweet Gum does grow here in southern Georgia, so I'll have to try some of it. Was your mallet wood billet dry, or green?
Cheers,

Might be only a variation of the same species, Gil. This was Sweet Gum: http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=49961
Also the finial on this one: http://n-fl-woodturners.org/images/2007-02/2007-02-15.jpg
Both of these were from small-diameter found wood. A larger tree might have red heartwood, though. The key identifier for my Sweet Gum tree(s) is a whole lot of fallen spiky gum balls, which aren't much fun to walk on barefoot. Is that a characteristic of the Ozzie Red Gum?

Joe

Bob38S
13th September 2008, 10:57 AM
Very nice indeed TL.

They almost look too good to use but as they are not supposed to be decorative I'm sure you will gain a lot of pleasure from their use.

Nice job.

tea lady
13th September 2008, 12:07 PM
Lovely mallets - red gum turns up nicely, but due to it's short grain, may lack the strength required if the mallet is used aggressively. I'd thicken up the junction between the handle and head - we don't want it snapping off and flying across the workshop, do we.
Forgot to say they are supposed too be for doing dovetails and mortice and tenons and stuff, rather than carving. I can imagine with carving wanting to give it a good wack to remove as much meat as possible. A more delicate touch might be in order for furniture making.:shrug:

Tornatus
15th September 2008, 12:53 AM
After looking up Red Gum, we have one here called Sweet Gum that is supposed to be the same species (we shall see).

G'day Gil

According to my botanical sources, your Sweet Gum is what we know as the exotic (ie not native) Liquidambar (Liquidambar styraciflua), and it has no relationship that I'm aware of to our native Eucalyptus species, of which there are a number known commonly as "Redgum". Our gumtrees certainly produce a sticky "gum" sap, but there the resemblance ends - eucalyptus oil extracted from the leaves has powerful medicinal and disinfectant properties, but I don't think I would try chewing the gum.

Redgum is bloody hard wood, and can be very cantankerous to turn, but it finishes beautifully. I have had a few struggles recently with a species called Blakely's Redgum (Eucalyptus blakelyi) which has superb colour and figure, and the added characteristic of being very attractive to a type of woodgrub - about 1 inch long and 1/2 inch in diameter - which leaves very interesting tunnels through your blanks. Often the perpetrators are found still in residence, despite the tree being felled long ago!

BobL
15th September 2008, 01:28 AM
Sweet gum has a Janka hardness of 3.8 kN which means it is a little harder than Pinus Radiata at 3.3 kN but "redgum" is about triple that in terms of hardness at 10 kN. This is a BIG difference.

Gil Jones
15th September 2008, 03:14 AM
Thanks for the wood species data.
It was not my intention to redirect Tea Lady's mallet posting.
Yer Red Gum and our Sweet Gum sound unrelated (or not), depending on who is speaking at the moment.

http://www.craftsman-style.info/finishing/065-gumwood.htm

http://www.woodfinder.com/woods/red_gum.php

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/gum.htm

Nuff said, I reckon,

tea lady
15th September 2008, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the wood species data.
It was not my intention to redirect Tea Lady's mallet posting.

NO NO! 'tis OK.. All good info.:2tsup: There is much confusion about names that change or stay the same n different parts of the world.:cool: