PDA

View Full Version : Rolltop repairs

Gary Brabham
21st February 2000, 01:24 AM
I'm doing up an old English rolltop desk. Can anyone tell me if there any knacks to rebacking the rolltop with new canvas? Eg, what sort of glue to use - I am thinking of trying a contact adhesive, such as is used for Laminex. Also, is it necessary to have the canvas taught in a frame? Any hints much appreciated.
Gary Brabham
Mt Lawley WA

ubeaut
21st February 2000, 10:11 AM
Hi Garry

My students have made a number of roll top bits and pieces over the years and the method we have always found to work well is to just lay the canvas flat on a bench and glue the timber on with contact adhesive.

There is no need to stretch the canvas but if it has been rolled or folded for some time then it is a good idea to leave it on a flat surface for a few days to flatten out. You may even need to put a piece of chip board or similar over it to help with this.

Apply the adhesive to both surfaces (canvas & timber) and wait till it is touch dry, then place the timber struts onto the canvas, making sure to but them up tight against one another. Make sure you cut the canvas to the right width before gluing as it is a real bugger to trim off after it is glued.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Cheers
Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif
A once was Wemblyian