PDA

View Full Version : Show us you Mitre Saw Stands/Tables/Bench

Brisvegas
12th September 2008, 10:22 PM
Hi guys, The title says it all, Id love to see all the different designs out their.
Cheers.

timberbits
12th September 2008, 10:36 PM
I built a box around mine with the dust extractor connected, behind on the base of the box to suck up all the dust that the vacume that is connected to the saw missed.

Been pretty good so far. I switch on the dust extractor and give it a blast of compressed air every week or so. There is a triton prefilter before the vacume so I don't have to change bags all the time.

Brisvegas
12th September 2008, 10:43 PM
Are they all flatpak cupboards timberbits?

Honorary Bloke
12th September 2008, 10:53 PM
Not very exciting, I know. :- But very portable and I need to move it regularly.

Andy Mac
13th September 2008, 08:08 AM
But then you could also look at the lower end of the market!:p

Cheers

MICKYG
13th September 2008, 08:32 AM
You can see a scms saw table made of metal frame and ply wood which folds up and has wheels on it at this site under machinery.

http://gallery.groov-e.com

Regards Mike:2tsup:

Scribbly Gum
13th September 2008, 09:37 AM
Like almost everything in my shed, the mobile table for my SCMS is made of scavenged scraps of this and that.
The saw that I have is the Bosch GCM10SD, so the little brother of the 12 inch model.
This table is designed to be wheeled out and the front wheels locked when in use, and then pushed back against the wall when not needed.
I use those cheap roller supports that you get from Go-lo or Bunnies etc for about $15, for any long lengths.
I toyed with the idea of a longer fixed bench has for a while, then decided that the roller supports would be more useful, as I can use them with the table saw and the thicknesser as well. I bought 2.
This table is about as simple as they come - very useful though.
Regards from Tele Point
SG:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Brisvegas
13th September 2008, 10:01 AM
Scribbly Gum How do you find the cheap roller supports? Im seriously considering getting 2 then just mounting My saw on a Folding work bench or maybe something like yours.

Scribbly Gum
13th September 2008, 10:13 AM
Scribbly Gum How do you find the cheap roller supports? Im seriously considering getting 2 then just mounting My saw on a Folding work bench or maybe something like yours.
They used to be everywhere.
They are a folding inverted Y shaped square section metal tubed stand that has a metal roller on the top. The roller is about 300mm long. The stand is adjustable for height with a cheap plastic lever covered nut to tighten it in position. Folds up to lean against the wall when not in use.
Every hardware catalogue used to carry them and probably still do, I haven't been looking. Cost me $15 each at the time. I even saw them in Bi-Lo.
I find them very useful and versatile.
Regards from Tele Point
SG

Ps Oops ...I may have mis-read your post.
If you meant Are they any good?
Then yes - not heavy duty, and not made for tradesmen, but fine for a hobbyist like me.

Regards
SG

timberbits
13th September 2008, 04:26 PM
Are they all flatpak cupboards timberbits?

The top cupboards are flat-pack from Aldi which were on special over 3 years for $60 each it think. Because the sliding compound miter saw needs to be 890mm out from the wall, I couldn't get flat-pack for the base. I knew it would cost me way too much from a kitchen guy so I decided to make it my self. Took about 2 weeks worth but well worth it in the end. To get to the top cupboards I use a seat to get me up to the bench and walk on the bench.

Heep's of storage in the bench now. The draws are full extension.

Timberbits.

Chipman
13th September 2008, 06:07 PM
The top cupboards are flat-pack from Aldi which were on special over 3 years for $60 each it think. Because the sliding compound miter saw needs to be 890mm out from the wall, I couldn't get flat-pack for the base. I knew it would cost me way too much from a kitchen guy so I decided to make it my self. Took about 2 weeks worth but well worth it in the end. To get to the top cupboards I use a seat to get me up to the bench and walk on the bench.

Heep's of storage in the bench now. The draws are full extension.

Timberbits.

I like your setup TB...:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I am still trying to get my shed setup...currently have my dewalt setup on a Ryobi stand so I can use it while I am finishing off the shed. I am planning to have a fixed bench too so I will use yours as a guide (copying is the greatest form of flattery:rolleyes::rolleyes::D so they say)

Seriously very well done

Chipman

Wooden Ewe?
13th September 2008, 08:34 PM
Hi all, here are some pictures of some improvements I made to my Bosch 12'' Slide Saw. Set up includes- a zero clearance insert, inserts in either end of the bed, and an auxiliary fence. Simple stuff made out of pine but it all combines to make for a more accurate and easier cutting process.

Cheers, Matt

simso
13th September 2008, 08:47 PM
Room is always a problem,

This bench has starting on the left router with incra guide, extension table. circular under bench saw with incra guide, jigsaw table and then the drop saw followed by extraction fan all on a single rolling trolley, also underneath on a slide sytem beneath the extension table is a scroll saw which pulls out

Honorary Bloke
13th September 2008, 10:23 PM
Simso,

That is a very compact and efficient setup. I like it. :2tsup:

gidgee 1
13th September 2008, 10:25 PM
A few pictures of my miter saw table.
It helps to give more benchspace when not in use.:2tsup:

Pic 1 Just a workbench.
Pic 2 Lift the lid and open the doors.
Pic 3 Lift the saw and close the doors-ready to work.
Pic 4 Extension raised and Incra fence and stop fitted.

BrettC
13th September 2008, 11:29 PM
Like it Gidgee :2tsup:

timberbits
13th September 2008, 11:31 PM
I like your setup TB...:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I am still trying to get my shed setup...currently have my dewalt setup on a Ryobi stand so I can use it while I am finishing off the shed. I am planning to have a fixed bench too so I will use yours as a guide (copying is the greatest form of flattery:rolleyes::rolleyes::D so they say)

Seriously very well done

Chipman

Thanks for the kind words.

Just a few points that I highlight. If I had my time again. What I would change is as follows.

1. Instead of having a separate vacuum cleaner, I would of just split the 100mm hose and run the whole thing off the dust extractor.
2. Made a slight incline so that the back of the box ran down to the air intake to help drain the dust to the air intake.
3. I wouldn't of used a aluminum fence, I would of made a melamine or MDF fence. (but i was given a aluminum one so I forced myself to use it.)
4. Put a few power points at waist level (getting in an electrician to wire it correctly of course).

I hope you make a wonderful bench that your kids would fight over.

Woodlee
14th September 2008, 12:00 AM
Here's mine not as fancy as some ,but it works and is very accurate.
Mandraulicly operated so no need for lectrickery .

I do have a powered SCMS by the famous Ryobi but the Stanley craps all over it for accuracy.

Kev

Chipman
14th September 2008, 11:31 AM

I do have a powered SCMS by the famous Ryobi but the Stanley craps all over it for accuracy.

Kev

And you can use it any time of the day or night without annoying the neighbours:2tsup:

Chipman:)

timberbits
14th September 2008, 11:29 PM

Kev

I am keen on purchasing one of thoes. Is it still possiable to by a Stanley version? and how much would it approximatley cost?

Not for me, but a good tool to introduce to my son in the coming few years he is 5. Don't want him to loose any fingers yet.

Woodlee
15th September 2008, 12:29 AM
Not sure if Stanley still market a mitre box like this one .I think they have a plastic one like you would make your self from timber.
These turn up on Ebay occasionally , but usually are incomplete .I had to spend some time getting this one back to the condition it is in now.
I still need to make a board to mount it on with a bench hook ,it slides around on my bench some times.It is supposed to have screws with points in the feet to prevent slipping when using.

Kev.

David L
16th September 2008, 04:12 PM
Mine just sits on an old table. The box is made of s/h craftwood doors and I only remove the side if I wish to make an angle cut. The router table provides support on the in feed side and a roller stand on the out feed if necessary. The DC stands beside.

Claw Hama
16th September 2008, 11:40 PM
Made out of crap laying around the workshop, light, doesn't take up much space, cost 4 castors about $20

Brisvegas
13th October 2008, 06:52 PM
BUMP BUMP, Fellas id like some ideas for extensions, I built a table similar to Claw Hamas but im wondering what to do for extensions.

Johnnz
19th July 2011, 07:25 PM
3 years late to reply to a bump and in the face of an "old thread" warning, but here's photos of my new SCMS bench. I figure the more the merrier in this thread as I myself was trawling through this website just recently trying to find ideas for such a bench...

The plywood construction of the upper section is based on a design from an Aussie magazine's online article, and the lower section is just designed to suit out of the old kitchen from our house. Features include:

Sliding wings in the track fixed in with star knobs makes for easier handling of long stock.
Angled gaurds above rear castor wheels prevent the SCMS saw hitting the walls in any location when blade is closest in to saw fence.
Removable off-cut bin.
Upper plywood section is removable if neccessary to take out on site where it could be sat upon two saw horses.

Has anyone else got the same Hitachi C10FSH drop saw? It annoyed me that the cutting surface is not dead flat and even with carefully placed packers underneath to try and bend it back flat is still not perfect when bolted to the bench. Also, I had to pull apart the laser to find the hidden grub screws to realign the laser to be true 90 degrees. (ie not just the left right adjustment knob convieniently located on right hand side of laser).
Cheers!

EGG
20th July 2011, 12:20 AM
Removable off cut bin, genius! Sometimes the most obvious ideas are too hard to think of. :2tsup:

lionelo
20th July 2011, 11:33 AM
This is an old desk which has a motor to raise and lower it. (used for people in wheelchairs, I think)
It is handy because it can be levelled to match the surrounding benches height for long projects.
At lunchtime, it makes a good table.