PDA

View Full Version : G'day from Upwey, Melbourne

geckoboy
12th September 2008, 10:46 PM
G'day all,
Figured it was about time I stopped lurking and started posting, so evening to you all. I'm Pete, from up in the Dandenongs.

Absolute beginner, but I'm getting into a bit of woodturning now, and figure it's time to upgrade my lathe (a cheap old Roval). Think I'll drop a Wanted post in the forum soon, but in the meantime, if anyone in Melbourne's got a Woodfast, Tough or similar going for less than a grand, let me know...

Cheers,
Pete

Mollywood
12th September 2008, 11:02 PM
Welcome Pete!

Haven't been here too long myself.
I'm a novice woodcarver up the road in Belgrave.
There's heaps of info and good humour in this forum, as I'm sure you've noticed if you've been lurking awhile.
Sorry, I don't have any lathes for sale, just wanted to say hello and welcome.
:U

tea lady
13th September 2008, 01:01 AM
:oo: How many of us are there up here? I hope you don't all live just up the road. We'll have to have a hills woddies drinky night or something.:cool:

Ad de Crom
13th September 2008, 02:13 AM
Pete, welcome, glad to welcome another woodturner from down under, so far away from Holland. I'm sure you''ll like it here.

Ad

tomartyr
13th September 2008, 11:10 AM
Hi Pete, and welcome from another new member. Although I'm a Kiwi (Go the All Blacks tonight!) I lived in Melbourne for many years and still have friends "up Upwey way" (yeah, I know, bad joke!). A beautiful part of the world is the Dandys.

Cheers, Keith

Ed Reiss
13th September 2008, 12:41 PM
Hi Pete...and welcome!

Brand new turner, eh? Hope your bank account is up to snuff for all the necessaries you'll need to do those gorgeous bowls!

Have fun with the forum.

Cheers,
Ed :D

munruben
14th September 2008, 02:35 PM
Hi and welcome Pete from up in the Dandenongs.:) Nice to have you here.

geckoboy
15th September 2008, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome, think I'm going to like it here...

As for the bank account required to get into turning, that's only part of my problem - you see, we've just had our first child (which isn't the problem at all, I'm loving it..), it's where I'm going to find the money for the new lathe I want, and the time to get on it. Wishful thinking on all accounts...

There's always the baby bonus, I suppose...

tea lady
15th September 2008, 07:58 PM
There's always the baby bonus, I suppose...

:rotfl:........There's always the Knox Community Woodworkers.. (I keep telling people.:D) There are currently 8 lathes there of varying sizes. (And lots of other tools.) $65 per year fees. (+ $50 joining fee the first year.:rolleyes:) A bit cheaper than a new lathe if you can't afford that at the mo...... That's where I go.:2tsup:...But don't let that put you off.:rolleyes: