PDA

View Full Version : Critical Design Review Required

Manix77
13th September 2008, 12:45 AM
G'Day

I've been thinking about building myself a proper workbench for ... some time and thought it's about time I get started.

I've considered dozens of options when it comes to design and I've finally settled on this (see link, the .skp file was too big to upload).

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=3198eb8bd1bc862a244502d30d0d44cb&prevstart=0

My inspirations are the Festool MFT and the "Ultimate Tool Stand" found here

http://christophermerrill.net/ww/plans/UTS/Tool_Stand_1.html

The construction is mainly 19mm MDF with a 16mm MDF tortion box base. I've included an Incra "Super Track" across the rear of the bench with the intent of using this to support various jigs and guides. Standard T-Track runs across the bench at each end and along the supports either side of the centre section. This will be used to attach hold downs, fences and various jigs (that I haven't thought of yet). The centre section on the top of the bench houses an interchangeable module that will hold various tools and work surfaces. A number of modules have been considered. In the diagram I've included:

- Standard bench
- Router table
- Down draft sanding table

The modules are saved as complete groups so you can play around with changing them in the model. I intend to also add:

- Thicknesser module
- SCMS module
- Sanding station with a belt and disk sander

There are three sections under the bench. The left and centre section will house the interchangeable modules while the right section will house electrical connections, a mini cyclone, vacuum and various clamps and hold downs.

The bench will sit on wheels (probably lockable castors) and the bench height will be 900mm with wheels.

I know there are dozens, if not hundreds of threads on workbenches in the forum and I think I've read most of them. What I'm after now is the gross error check and finishing touches that will make this the (close to) perfect bench!

There are a couple of details with the model that I still have to polish off (right now there's nothing holding the outer bench sections up!) but most of the detail is complete. I started getting a little loose on the minor details when I realised that I needed to drill 322 20mm holes to make the bench!

Now I throw the design to the forum for comments and suggestions!

regards

Manix

BobL
13th September 2008, 01:03 AM
OK - you asked . . . so how can I put this simply . . . . . . how about it's just way too complicated.

I can't really work out what you are trying to do here. There is a difference between most tool stands and workbenchs. I guess it depends what you intend to make. IMHO 19 mm MDF with a torsion box would be OK as a tool stand but not for a serious workbench. You can put and use tools on a serious bench but construction on a 19mm MDF toolstand doesn't add up. I guess if you are making small toys it would be OK.

Modules that slide in and out also fit the notion of a tool stand but not a work bench. You will have to work out ways of locking the modules very firmly otherwise they will rattle and shake. Bench structures have to be solid so it stays level and square, and it should be able to take a beating - or at least be able to service my leakey chain saw on it.

Castors - I wouldn't put these on a serious work bench. If you need to move it consider a cantilever wheel system but the bench legs verticals should sit direct and hard on the floor.

Integrated sanding table - stuff will fall down the holes so you have to cover up so then you need to fix the cover firmly firmly so then . . . .

And anyone that has made a cyclone will tell you they can't be mini and effective.

For me work benches are primarily devices that support my vices, what do you have in mind in terms of a vice and how do you plan to connect it to 19 mm MDF?

BozInOz
13th September 2008, 11:03 AM
Love the idea. I do agree there may be some practical problems.

Interesting in the latest fine working mag there is a workbench which has 1 section removable and they have examples of a downdraft system and SCMS.

Have you got any further with your plans?

Manix77
13th September 2008, 04:01 PM
I did say critical design review so please don't hold back.

Bob,

I get what you mean by complicated. I have limited space and need something very versatile. I've been using a bodgy MDF topped bench for years now and after playing with the Festool MFT (with a 19mm MDF top) at the Canberra WWW Show I can't see myself needing anything more robust. I actually considered doing everything in 25mm MDF but thought that would be overkill.

I had a look at your bench and I can see why you'd think my idea is a bit light weight!

I like the idea of the cantilever wheel system, I'd been thinking about building something like that into the torsion box.

Point taken with the sanding module.

I haven't built the cyclone yet, I'm building one for my SCMS bench and I'll see hoe it works before going any further.

I intend to put one vice on the front left of the bench. The vice I have in mind is this one

http://www.carbatec.com.au/clamps-vises/bench-vises/carba-tec-quick-release-bench-vises

I haven't figured out the details yet but I'm guessing it will go against the MDF and use 19mm MDF for the faces.

Boz

I'll have to get the latest Fine Woodworking and get some more ideas! I haven't developed the plans any further yet but I plan to do some more fiddling tonight.

Thanks for the feedback so far, keep it coming!

regards

Manix

Pheonix
13th September 2008, 07:32 PM
I was looking ar a review of Fine Woodworking bench couple days ago,they have an instructional dvd etc Review is by the maker of the bench.It is on their website.

Ben from Vic.
23rd December 2008, 10:45 PM
Just came across this thread, I think that the work station would make a great partner to a more sturdy work bench (if you have the space).
I'm going to hang on to those plans as I think I may be able to fit one in.

I may not have been any help to you, but you've been helpful to me!

Thanks.

Ben.