PDA

View Full Version : Disapointing Dynalink lathe

munruben
13th September 2008, 10:41 PM
My son in law and daughter thought decided to surprise me for fathers day and bought me a Dynalink lathe off ebay. It looked ok until we assembled it and turned it on.. nothing happened, only a buzz from the motor. We took the cover off the back and surprise surprise alright, yes, you guessed it, the pulleys were stuffed. They just crumbled to the touch. Son in law tried to remove the pulleys so we could try and get replacements and in the process broke the flange that holds the spline bearing. you can see this in the picture.
anyway we contacted the guy who it was purchased from and he arranged to have parts that we needed shipped up to H&F for us to pick up. Parts arrived couple of days later but one of the parts was the wrong one so got to wait for replacement for that one. Hopefully Monday.
The guy who sold it to them said he would come down and fit the parts for us if we needed help so guess he sounds pretty honest. The lathe is new but been in box, old stock. discontinued by Dynalind apparently. Guyy said they have had this problem before and I have seen pics on the forum with same thing with Dynalink.
So thats my introduction to woodturning. Hope its not an omen. lol.
Anyway hope to get it up and running on Monday sometime and then will start practicing. Never done any turning before.
The lathe looks pretty good except for the problem of the pulleys. A bit rough round the edges but of course they are only a cheap lathe. Okay for a beginner I guess.

wheelinround
13th September 2008, 10:53 PM
:D better than that other one John at least its made from stronger stuff :rolleyes: I think

So whats planned for the first project

Sahme you didn't go to Get together could have got pointers

Cliff Rogers
13th September 2008, 10:54 PM
Bummer. :(

munruben
13th September 2008, 10:56 PM
Yeah, Cliff, was all convinced to buy the mini lathe from Carba-Tech what we talked about but son in law and daughter beat me to it with this one. i saw it on ebay myself but kept away from it. But they mean well. :)

munruben
13th September 2008, 11:03 PM
Oh btw, heres the lathe.

munruben
13th September 2008, 11:07 PM
:D better than that other one John at least its made from stronger stuff :rolleyes: I think

So whats planned for the first project

Sahme you didn't go to Get together could have got pointersNothing planned yet. thought you were coming up to show me how to use it. Didn't know the get together was on otherwise would have went.

joe greiner
14th September 2008, 12:51 AM
That's just about the sorriest excuse for quality control I've ever seen. But may "turn" out OK if the seller is willing to make it right. When he does, request a running demonstration of speed changes. (Must be done with it running.) Also, request demo of rotation and locking of the headstock - not running, of course.

What is the significance of the CarbaTec logo? On another piece of gear? Except for the wheels on the support, and the paint colour, it looks like a twin sister to the MC900 and Harbor Freight 34706. I've had the latter for a little over 2 years, and haven't been TOO seriously disappointed. I suggest you store the elbow contraption for the toolrest as deep as you can - it seems designed to shatter. Another suggestion or two or three:
* Get a spare drive belt, preferably from an auto parts shop (likely better quality).
* Get an extra handle or two for the toolrest clamp. The ribs on the clamping bolt get rounded off easily. I used a spanner for a while before I got a new handle from HF.
* Place some ballast on the lower shelf for stability. I use two buckets of railroad spikes (from a garage sale). Almost anything of about 75kg total is satisfactory.

Joe

munruben
14th September 2008, 09:14 AM
Thanks Joe.:2tsup:

Ed Reiss
14th September 2008, 12:14 PM
Hi John...

It appears that the opposing pulleys, which from all indications are cast pot metal, in the Reeve's drive are the weak link on this brand of lathe.

Pulleys made from steel might be available to fit the motor shaft...might be worth it to check around.

All in all, hope you get it running soon and start making some nice turnings!:2tsup:

Cheers,

Ed :D

munruben
16th September 2008, 02:42 PM
Hi John...

It appears that the opposing pulleys, which from all indications are cast pot metal, in the Reeve's drive are the weak link on this brand of lathe.

Pulleys made from steel might be available to fit the motor shaft...might be worth it to check around.

All in all, hope you get it running soon and start making some nice turnings!:2tsup:

Cheers,

Ed :DThanks Ed, Please to report that the lathe is now fixed for free so all's well that ends well. (I hope) :)
All I got to do now is learn how to use the darn thing.:D

wheelinround
16th September 2008, 10:23 PM
:2tsup: Great work John even though you may not realise it you have started to learn. Its all up hill from here.

At least now when we come to visit I'll have something to do:p

Ed Reiss
17th September 2008, 01:12 AM
Hey now...."FREE" is always tops in my view!!!!:kewl:
Don't think you'll have any problem with turning....seems to me that you have a bunch of friends on this forum that would be more than happy to help guide you to success!:2tsup:

Cheers,

Ed :D

Cliff Rogers
17th September 2008, 08:41 AM
.....seems to me that you have a bunch of friends on this forum that would be more than happy to help guide you ....

Yup, somebody will tell you where to go. :D

Rum Pig
17th September 2008, 08:57 AM
So thats my introduction to woodturning. Hope its not an omen. lol.

Free lathe, free repairs :rolleyes:

Sounds like a bloody good omen to me:D

Cant wait to see what you turn fist:) good luck.

munruben
17th September 2008, 09:11 PM
At least now when we come to visit I'll have something to do:pWhat you waiting for,? Get your butt up here.:)

munruben
17th September 2008, 09:17 PM
Unfortunately the saga is not over. The 2 chucks that they gave me with the lathe has got the wrong thread for the lathe and doesn't screw onto the threaded shaft. Is there any adapter or something like that to enable these chucks to fit or are they a dead loss.
The hole size is correct but the thread is finer than that of the thread on the end of the shaft in the headstock. Any advice.? Apparently these cannot be returned to the vendor .

Allan at Wallan
17th September 2008, 09:26 PM
Hi John,

Adaptors are readily available at good woodworking
suppliers for around the $30 mark.

Just quote your Dynalink lathe model and the model
of your chuck and they can usually assist on the spot.

Will wait with eagerness to see your first turning.

Allan

munruben
17th September 2008, 09:52 PM
Hi John,

Adaptors are readily available at good woodworking
suppliers for around the $30 mark.

Just quote your Dynalink lathe model and the model
of your chuck and they can usually assist on the spot.

Will wait with eagerness to see your first turning.

AllanThanks Allan, appreciate that. Will try and locate one. :2tsup: You wouldn't want to see my first attempts at turning I assure you.

DJ’s Timber
18th September 2008, 12:00 AM
What sort of chucks do you have and do they already have an insert in them? It might just be a matter of swapping the insert for the right one :shrug:

Can you put up a pic of the chucks, front and back

wheelinround
18th September 2008, 09:30 AM
Here they are DJ John sent me photo's the other day think he's working today if you call what he does working.:roll:

is it possible to have installed the shaft wrong way round when replacing it :p

DJ’s Timber
18th September 2008, 09:53 AM
Wouldn't even bother with the chuck from Ray's first 3 pics, looks like one of those GMC chucks or an engineering one of which each jaw moves independently but the last one looks to be scroll chuck so would be worth chasing an insert for it. Would just depend on what insert it has on the back.

wheelinround
18th September 2008, 10:09 AM
1st one is ebgineering chuck DJ and is self centering had to help John over the phone relocate jaws as they were all out of sync.

munruben
18th September 2008, 04:19 PM
Thanks DJ and Ray. I went to H&F today and the thread on the lathe spindle is 8tpi while the chucks are 10tpi (most popular size) and unfortunately anything with 8tpi thread on today is hard to find.
Although the lathe is "new" in a sense cos it has never been used, it is old stock and discontinued. The spindles on the new Carba-Tech and H&F lathes (which are pretty much identical to the Dynalink) are 10tpi threads so Grant at H&F suggested that I get a new spindle with the correct thread at a cost of just $45 shipped to me overnight.
I have pulled out the old spindle and now waiting for the replacement spindle which hopefully will arrive tomorrow and keeping my fingers crossed that it fits.

wheelinround
18th September 2008, 08:12 PM
Rippa Rita soon to be turning like a pro :D :2tsup:

munruben
19th September 2008, 10:48 AM
Rippa Rita soon to be turning like a pro :D :2tsup:Don't hold your breath Ray.:D

glynn.browne
18th August 2012, 10:03 PM
I have bought a dynalink wood lathe with the same problem as original post, could anyone tell me where I would find parts?

Christos
19th August 2012, 12:55 PM
I have bought a dynalink wood lathe with the same problem as original post, could anyone tell me where I would find parts?

Firstly welcome to the forum. Could be a bit of a problem with an old lathe but never know. I had an old lathe that needed a new pulley and was able to locate one from a company called Lewis Pulleys, in Alexandria, Sydney.

switt775
19th August 2012, 02:53 PM
This is a generic sort of lathe which was sold by many vendors, including Hare & Forbes and Carba-tec. If you can get the old pulleys off take them with you, otherwise measure the shaft size, this can vary between different versions.

munruben
22nd August 2012, 06:27 PM
This is a generic sort of lathe which was sold by many vendors, including Hare & Forbes and Carba-tec. If you can get the old pulleys off take them with you, otherwise measure the shaft size, this can vary between different versions.Yep, Hare and Forbes have the parts for them as you say, they are a generic make and parts are available for them. I got my parts from Hare and Forbes.
I have been turning ever since with the dynalink and no really problems so worth getting fixed if you can get it done cheaply enough. good luck with it. :2tsup:

ian thorn
27th August 2012, 10:57 PM
Hi John I had the mc900 which is the same setup for 12yrs and the only thing that went wrong in all that time was belts ,I screwed ply to the back and on the bottom rails this made the frame very ridgidnever had a cause to add wieght as to the plastic handels i remove mine and drilled the sharft and put a short piece of 6mm rod though and flatend the ends so it wouldnt come out. have fun:) and allways have the lathe runing befor trying to change speed in fact you should allways shift it back to slow before switching it of for saftynot nice to have an out of balance piece of woodflying around the workshop :no:

In regards to the insert you buy a blank that fits the chuck the have the insert theaded to your shaft sizeif you have a face plate take it with you
Cheers Ian