PDA

View Full Version : spots on oak bowl

Daddy3x
15th September 2008, 01:25 PM
I green turned out an red oak bowl, approx 14" dia. I turned it to final with the intention of just letting it do what it wanted to, there has been very little warping, but I like the bit that has happened. I just checked on it and noticed very tiny specks, perhaps the size of a freckle on them, maybe 10 altogether, mainly on the inside (sorry no pics). the only thing I can think of is that maybe it's some mold? If so, a dab of bleach and a toothbrush should put this back under control I would think. If it isn't mold, I have no more guesses. Any ideas?

Gil Jones
15th September 2008, 03:20 PM
Sounds like mold. I just turned some green Sassafras, and it also has a few blackish spots on it that look like mold (it sat on the lathe a few days while I had a cold). I have not tried bleach, but that would kill any mold.

Alastair
15th September 2008, 03:40 PM
With Oak, and other tannin rich timbers, any stray iron, (filings from grinder etc) can cause black staining.

Don't know if bleach will remove this, but I believe dilute oxalic acid would.

Regards

Daddy3x
16th September 2008, 02:44 PM
Thanks to both of you. I have no idea which it is, but the tanin idea is one I never considered, even though my hands are usually almost black when I get done cutting these oak chunks. Maybe on the next I will be sure to quickly wipe off the edge before cutting again. The strange thing is that the spots showed up days later. Oh well, more character I suppose. BTW, is there street name or brand name for that acid you mentioned?

Gil Jones
16th September 2008, 03:03 PM
Not sure what it is called in Australia, but where we live it is "Wood Bleach". I have a 12oz tub of it made by The Savogran Co., which I think I purchased at Ace Hardware (??). It says that it will remove black spots and tannin stains. Have not used it yet so cannot say if any good.
http://www.savogran.com/Retail_Products/Repairing_Products/repairing_products.html