PDA

View Full Version : Big Lamp

Claw Hama
16th September 2008, 12:20 AM
This should have been in the turning forum but it's big. I am making a floor lamp for a new cafe/restaurant, it's oversize. It will stand over 2m high and the turned stem will be up to about 190mm in dia and in modules up to 400 long they basicly will look like oversize finshing floats threaded onto the stem with an oversize lamp shade on top. So I needed a quick 190dia log with a 27mm hole up the middle for the steel spine and electrical cable. Also had to be cheap and soft easy tuning. All the floats will be painted and stained to look like floats and cork etc. Wish me luck. Some of the jobs I get??:doh:

tea lady
16th September 2008, 12:24 AM
:2tsup: Break a chisel. (As in break a leg and don't mention the "Scottish play" only for wood turning.:D)

prozac
16th September 2008, 09:34 PM
Yes good luck CH. Can't wait to see how these turn out.

Claw Hama
16th September 2008, 10:51 PM
Thanks for that touch of forum luck guys:;, it can only help. Next couple of photo installments blanks have now been cut to length ready for turning.

Lumber Bunker
17th September 2008, 12:03 AM
You need way more clamps than that!
and a bigger drop saw!

Claw Hama
17th September 2008, 12:19 AM
Hi Steve, it all hinges on the size of the shed untill it gets bigger I'm snookered. You can never have enough clamps it's a written law isn't it? and the saw worked well I just had to rotate the little work piece 3 times to get all the way through. (Was surprisingly quick and effective though) Oh, what's that you say? you are going to send me half a dozen complimentary clamps, thanks mate.

WoodworkLady
17th September 2008, 03:13 PM
This should have been in the turning forum but it's big. I am making a floor lamp for a new cafe/restaurant, it's oversize. It will stand over 2m high and the turned stem will be up to about 190mm in dia and in modules up to 400 long they basicly will look like oversize finshing floats threaded onto the stem with an oversize lamp shade on top. So I needed a quick 190dia log with a 27mm hole up the middle for the steel spine and electrical cable. Also had to be cheap and soft easy tuning. All the floats will be painted and stained to look like floats and cork etc. Wish me luck. Some of the jobs I get??:doh:

Hey it's a challenge!! From the way you describe it, it sounds it will turn out really great. Can't wait to see what the finished project will look like!! I would wish you 'good luck', but it doesn't look like you will need it. What I will wish you instead is 'have lots of fun!!":2tsup:

Woodwould
17th September 2008, 03:54 PM
Will the lamp be painted or have a clear finish?

Claw Hama
17th September 2008, 04:48 PM
Hi Guys & GIrls, yes Woodwould it will be lightly painted (if that makes sense) which is why I was happy to use Pinus Crapus. It's, so far so good, I will put some more pics up tonight and show the progress.
Woodworklady, it,s all fun, this was a lifestyle change for me, so far the money is only ordinary but looking better but the work is just fantastic fun.

Claw Hama
17th September 2008, 10:57 PM
Got 6 out of the 7 floats turned and sanded today in amongst the phone calls, visitors, quotes etc etc here are the first 3. Quite nice plane forms on their own.

fozz
19th September 2008, 12:58 AM
Looks really good so far claw, really good!!!

Claw Hama
19th September 2008, 10:31 PM
UPDATE, added another couple of pods to extend it to a full 2m high. Cut and rounded up the base which is 4 layers of 18mm ply glued together with recesses for the electrical, the top layer is loose and will be screwed down once the 3 bottom layers have been bolted to the floor. Being in a public area the base will be bolted to the floor on installation so climbing rodents don''t knok it over:aro-u:.
Pods undercoated, probably one more coat of undercoat before the colours start going on. Looks like I will also have to make the shade now too as we cannot buy one large enough for it. Photo of the base on the lathe (only an MC1100 but it does quite well) with my nephew "gee it's smooth uncle Claw".:U

Claw Hama
20th September 2008, 10:43 PM
Almost finished, just have to recover this lamp shade and install it at the restaurant. It's been a fun little project. I will have to put something in the next shot to show the scale if this thing.:D

joe greiner
20th September 2008, 11:05 PM
The chairs in the background provide a pretty good sense of scale. I didn't realise it was going to be THIS big. Very well done, mate.:2tsup:

What, if anything, is the meaning of the lettering on the largest float?

Joe

Claw Hama
20th September 2008, 11:39 PM
Hi Joe, the bobbley elements of the lamp are simulated fishing net floats so license numbers or the like. The design is loosely based on something my partner saw in a magazine and she adapted it to use on this project.

Ad de Crom
21st September 2008, 01:40 AM
Claw, I followed this project with great interest.
I love lamp making, and have plans for making a floor lamp for our own, guess that will take a time, depends of the wood I have for doing this job.
I like it very much what I saw till now, it looks stunning, my compliments !!!
Ad :2tsup:

Claw Hama
21st September 2008, 08:20 AM
Thanks Ad, it will look better once the lamp shade has it's new cover and it is put in place at the restaurant. I will take a new better photo and put up then.

Woodwould
21st September 2008, 09:56 AM
Excellent job Claw! It's quite unique so I'm guessing the lamp is destined for a marina or seafood restaurant.

Claw Hama
21st September 2008, 10:16 AM
Thanks Wouldwod.That would be a good guess but with architects you just never can tell, its actually going in a cafe/restaurant that sells cakes and the usual salads and light meals called Sweet Poison "cakes to die for". When you see it in real life it doesn't look all the fishy.

Christos
27th September 2008, 11:13 PM
It looks pretty good. I like it.

Claw Hama
27th September 2008, 11:16 PM
Will have some better photos soon guys showing it in the restaurant and I now have to make a second one.