PDA

View Full Version : Learning Restoration??? Need help!!

thebooss20
17th September 2008, 06:35 PM
Hi guys

I am only 16 and just joined today, I was wondering if any of you can lead me in the right direction. I am interested in doing a course on restorating antiques but i cant seem to find any in melbourne?? I live in Doncast and a short drive is ok. I would really appreciate any help :U.

Thanks
Nad

astrid
19th September 2008, 02:09 PM
dont think there's any such thing as a quick course in antique restoration theres too many different things to do.
If you really are interested find a good natured restorer (a good one) that will let you observe what they do.
and find yourself a bit of pre 1950's furniture to practice on and a few books from the library.
Anyone offering a three month course is probably a cowboy.

You could start by cleaning up something rather than attemping a full restoration.

thebooss20
19th September 2008, 09:23 PM
thankyou very much ill try to find someone in the area

Chikoroll
19th September 2008, 10:03 PM
you're young, get an apprenticeship

sure the money's lousy to start with, but you will start pulling cash jobs if you get into it, good money then:2tsup:

Woodwould
20th September 2008, 12:35 AM
I don't know if there are any grants available to you, but if you can attain one, you would do well to apprentice yourself to a top notch restorer.

Alternatively, if your family is wealthy, ask them to sponsor you in a debentured apprenticeship. It's the only way I would take on an apprentice these days.

astrid
20th September 2008, 01:18 AM
what interests you in antique restoration.
If you have a genuine interest in old stuff, it shouldn't be too hard to find a mentor.
mind you you wont get rich:D

I cant help cos 1 I'm self taught with mainly refinishing skills and 2 I'm in brighton:D
Are you looking for a trade? In which case i know a few good restorers I can ask around

thebooss20
20th September 2008, 11:10 PM
Thankyou guys very much

I am not really interested in antique restorations as a trade but after watching and reading for endless hours I became very interested in Antiques and antique restoration. I would like to be a hobby rather than a trade because i am still only 16.

thanks
nad

hcbph
18th October 2008, 08:15 AM
I'm going to chime in here for a moment. The same phrase can mean many things to many people, and they aren't necessarily the same.

To some people antiques means old furniture while to others it means valuable aged pieces of furniture. Restoring means to some stripping and refinishing or replacing parts while to others it means using comparable methods and materials to bring a piece back to original condition or to stabilize it in it's current condition.

Make sure whether which you're talking of when talking to people. If you tell someone you're going to restore an antique they may not get what they're expecting, especially if you strip off a shellac finish and put on a lacquer finish or replace a piece of an item with a new item.

I've done restoration and I've done repair, they are not interchangable. Nothing wrong with furniture repair, in fact you'll probably find alot more opportunities there than in antique restoration. Most people will have an older family piece that they want saved and aren't necessarily concerned what type of stain or fasteners are used in it as long as it's usable upon completion. Other situations, that's death to an antique. Personally I prefer repairing old family pieces over antiques. With antiques, many times there's no way to fix it without some loss of value and then you can have irate customers on your hands. With family pieces, they're happy you could save something handed down to them.

Whatever you're looking to do, in addition to training, consider if you can get an apprenticeship somewhere. If you want to pursue this, for the immediate future: think 2d hand. Many times you can buy 2d hand furniture cheap or even free. Get some experience there and see if it's of interest to you then go from there.

Whatever you do - good luck

Paul

ubeaut
21st October 2008, 09:51 PM
"A Polishers Handbook" http://www.ubeaut.com.au/book.html was written for Central Victorian School of Woodcrafts, restoration and polishing classes.

Contrary to what some people may think, not everyone who offers short term courses in restoration is a cowboy. Matter of fact most are dedicated hard working professionals with a desire to help.

Think you'll find Holmsglen college may have some short term courses (nights, weekend workshops, etc) give them a try, Also make enquiries with CAE (Council of Adult Education) they often offer short courses.

Many restorers, both professional and hobbiest started this way.

Cheers - Neil :U

Woodwould
21st October 2008, 11:14 PM
Contrary to what some people may think, not everyone who offers short term courses in restoration is a cowboy.

I don't think anyone was inferring any restorers were cowboys, rather, in terms of ability, there are restorers and then there are Restorers. Everyone does have to begin their journey from somewhere, but not all travelers reach their intended destination. :)

hcbph
21st October 2008, 11:47 PM
I don't think anyone was inferring any restorers were cowboys, rather, in terms of ability, there are restorers and then there are Restorers. Everyone does have to begin their journey from somewhere, but not all travelers reach their intended destination. :)

In addition to restorers vs Restorers, not everyone has the same abilities in all areas. The woodworking and repairs is what I specialize in, it's what I'm best at. I have a woman I use that has over 30 years of color matching experience. Even having done it for over 20 years, I can't even come close to her ability. Don't be afraid to ask others for help or tips, you can learn alot that way.

Always be willing to listen and learn from others. You'd be surprised what some people either do or have come up with that isn't in the books or classes. I've seen things that I didn't ever expect to use then years later a situation came up that was an exact match for that process and it fit perfectly there.

Paul

astrid
22nd October 2008, 06:18 PM
:U:U:U:U

hope we answered you question

rhancock
23rd October 2008, 08:41 AM
If nothing else, I think you've learned that whatever question you ask, you'll get a large number of different and contradictory answers. Life's like that.

Maybe have a think about the information you've been given here, and then try to work out some more specific questions.

And just for the sake of it, my advice is - just do it! Buy a cheap bit of furniture - one made of wood without any particle board, and have a go. You should be able to find cheap stuff at op shops, so just have a go. You'll find it easier to get answers to specific questions about a project than general ones.

rsser
31st December 2008, 04:42 PM
From time to time the the CAE organises workshops on furniture restoration. IIRC they may run these at Thornbury.

The deal is you take along a piece you want to restore and the teacher takes you through the steps.

Ah yes, here's the next one: http://www.cae.edu.au/?course=HVG065

CuriousBird
12th January 2009, 07:47 PM
Hi Nad,

It took me ages to find the right antique restoration course (or one at all!), but I will let you in on my secret...

Now, I regularly attend the Melbourne School of Fine Woodworking in Box Hill. I attend their one-day course (run most months) called 'Secrets of the Trade'. It's a small class run by an amazingly talented restoration professional. You bring along your pieces, have your own workbench and you get individual attention on how to fixer upper them. At $190 for the day (10 hours!) its an absolute bargain. I've learnt more here in a small amount of time than a Diploma course at TAFE.

Highly recommended, Melbournes best kept secret for WW courses!!

Rhi :)

MSFW is a not-for-profit organisation teaching fine furniture making to beginners and experienced woodworkers alike.

We conduct tutor groups - four terms annually - as well as one-day workshops and 3-5 day project-based courses. Our workshop and machine room are first-class, our collection of hand tools is the finest quality, and we place a strong emphasis on teaching traditional woodworking skills and techniques.

[email protected] web: www.msfw.org.au (http://www.msfw.org.au/)