PDA

View Full Version : Melbouurne Show Confusion

waikune
17th September 2008, 09:12 PM
Jumped on the Web to find out the date of the Melbourne show in October. 2 sites say the show is at the exhibition building (as in previous years) and the DMG site refers to the Show Grounds. SO WHICH ONE IS IT?:((

Mentioned this to a mate and he thought it was still at the Exhibition Building also, and also mentioned DMG no longer run/own the show. Now I'm really confused.:?

I think he said the new owners of the show were something like EEE what ever that stands for. Can't find them / it on the web.:~

I just hope who ever is running the show, they get their act into gear and let the public like you and me know.

Appreciate if any one can clear up the above confusion:2tsup:

Gra
17th September 2008, 09:13 PM
Its at the showgrounds this year.

waikune
17th September 2008, 09:45 PM
Thanks Gra.........Who runs it?

ubeaut
17th September 2008, 11:00 PM
The Timber & Working With Wood Show IS at thee Royal Melbourne Show Grounds this year for the first time.

EEE isn't for our Ultra Shine polish but stands for Everything Exhibitions and Events Pty Ltd who have taken over the running of the show from DMG World Media.

Their contact info is as follows:

Everything Exhibitions and Events Pty Ltd

Elizabeth Falloon
Managing Director

Phone: 02 9974 1393
Fax: 02 9974 3426

Elizabeth was Managing Director of of DMG (someone will correct me if I'm wrong) up until she left a few years ago. About the time the shows began to go into a bit of a decline (my words not hers). Her family has had close ties with the T&WWW Shows for many years and it's good to see them up front at the helm.

After speaking to Elizabeth at length I'm definitely of the opinion they have the drive and determination to make these shows come to life again. They are listening to those who matter, the exhibitors and you the patrons. Not to overpaid marketing dopes who don't have a clue about what we the users of the shows want or need.

Liz has read the comments and recommendations from the Working With Wood Shows post (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=38485) at the top of this forum and has told me they will work towards implementing suggestions and are keen to listen and do whatever it takes to breathe new life into the shows and make them absolutely fantastic. (this won't happen overnight, but I'm convinced it will happen, so be a little patient)

There will once again be special discount prices for all forum members to all shows starting with the upcoming Melbourne show. Order forms for the discounted tickets will be on line here in the next few days. Might even be able to offer them for Adelaide if you get in quick with your orders.

There will also be space set aside for forum members to display their woodworking genius to the rest of the world (well the locals at least). :2tsup: Hopefully some new and vibrant demonstrators, and a whole lot more over the next year or so. http://www.ubeaut.biz/woohoo.gif

Hope this has answered a few questions and shone a bit of light on the upcoming revolution.

Cheers - Neil :U

Ron Dunn
17th September 2008, 11:43 PM
Showgrounds !?!?!? Ewwwww.

They should be paying us to go there.

I'm being serious. That is a low-class venue, which leaves you just one thing to do. It leaves country visitors in the middle of nowhere. It has nowhere to park partners and kids for a while, especially if they want to accompany you, but get bored half way through.

Big mistake in my (singular) opinion.

ubeaut
18th September 2008, 01:12 AM
Exactly my thoughts and those of the many, but the brains or lack of brains at DMG set this up over 12 mth ago and unfortunately the new owners are stuck with it. Personally as soon as I was told I was pretty sure it would be a bit of a fiasco and am glad I'm not the new owner.

Knowing what to expect 3 of us booked accommodation for the show last year to make sure we had something reasonably close. Bugger of a place all round in my opinion, but we just have to make the most of it and who knows. It could be fantastic.

Don't know how it will go, with no passing trade, no office workers dropping in for a long lunch or after an early knock off, nowhere for the family to go to get away from it, little to no accommodation near the venue, start of the Spring racing carnival, etc all makes for one massive challenge for the new owners of the show at this venue.

Personally for their sake and that of the exhibitors I hope it goes off brilliantly, because if it doesn't I fear for the whole event unless it is moved to a better venue. I've exhibited (demonstrated) at every show in Melbourne since day one and I for one would love to see it moved back to the Royal Exhibition Buildings where it all began some 20 odd years ago.

Geoff Dean
18th September 2008, 07:13 AM
Bugger of a place all round in my opinion, but we just have to make the most of it and who knows. It could be fantastic.

You're fantastic all the time Neil. :D:D

(Nice edit whomever did it. :D)

Jim Carroll
18th September 2008, 09:40 AM
The conflict between DMG and the managment of Jeffs shed is what started DMG looking for an alternative venue. The other problem is they are building the conference centre and this took away a lot of the parking so made it harded for you to get in and out of the place.

We like others are not overly pleased with the new set up but as all of us have not attended or done a show there it is hard to comment to the positive.

We do hope it goes well for all concerned but I like neil would like to see it go back to the old exhibition buildings. Not sure if the floor space would be big enough though.