PDA

View Full Version : I think I need some help

munruben
17th September 2008, 09:24 PM
Okay, so I got a lathe. I get some wood and I got some cheap woodturning tools. Now I need to know what to do. or how to do it. I have had a quick go at turning between the centres and to be honest, I have no idea what I am doing. Is there anyone who lives close by who might be able to give me a few pointers or show me the basics of woodturning and point me in the right direction. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

thefixer
18th September 2008, 12:16 AM
G'day John

Just about everyone here will advise you to locate and join your local woodturners club. Bloody sound advice it is too. Personally, I have done it by the suck it and see method and by acquiring the knowledge from the very experienced people of this forum. Just about everything I have learned has come from trial and error and error and error and error but after only a couple of years turning it is starting to pay off. That is just my way of doing things coz I am a stubborn and persistant ba***rd. Not everyones cup of tea but it works for me. Take it one small step at a time and always consult the expertise of the forum members. And always remain safety concious, that lump of wood is spinning fast and you are its target I can certainly vouch for that:((

Cheers
Shorty

Cliff Rogers
18th September 2008, 12:28 AM
I have 4 lathes... I think I need help more than you do. :-

Ed Reiss
18th September 2008, 01:09 AM
Hi John...

Kinda' like Shorty, I used the "suck it and see" method also, but back then (1982) there were no forums...hell, there wasn't even a world wide web!:no:

....basically just started chunking "firewood" between centers and having at it, trying different angles of attack with a spindle gouge until I got it to cut instead of scraping! Wasted a lot of firewood that way but finally got the hang of it. Mainly it's a matter of keeping the bevel rubbing and then raising the handle slightly until it starts to cut. Don't try to get too fancy at first, just try to make plain cylinders. Guaranteed once you do a couple of hundred pieces you'll do great with coves and beads!

...and as Shorty said, safety is paramount - safety glasses for sure!!!:2tsup:

Recommend that you get Richard Raffan's video "Turning Wood" and also Del Stubb's "Bowl Turning". Both of those are great for the basics!
Cheers,

Ed :D

Ad de Crom
18th September 2008, 01:44 AM
Hi John, that's a good start having a lathe.
My advice practice first spindle turning with making a sqaire round, making V- cuts, beads, etc., than you get the right feeling with your tools and confidence.
Brian Clifford wrote articles about spindle turning, and how to do that.
You can find his articles on www.turningtools.co.uk (http://www.turningtools.co.uk) Very instructive.

Good luck.

Ad

Toasty
18th September 2008, 08:36 AM
Yup, try to get to a woodturners group if you can

If you can't, go to a large bookstore like Borders or a large Dymocks, go to their craft/hobbies section and look for a book on woodturning, most of them cover off the basics and have a number of beginner to intermediate projects. I've always liked "Woodturning: A Foundation Course by Keith Rowley" although any book by Richard Raffan and most others will be fine.

If you can't wait for that, the following pointers may assist:

Toolrest height - have the toolrest so the chisel will ultimatly meet the wood at the halfway point
Holding the chisel assuming you are right handed - your left hand holds the chisel on the toolrest, this is primarliy a fulcrum point. Your right hand should be at the back of the handle and have the handle against your hip if your stance allows. Woodturning can be a whole body movement, kinda like a sashaying dance sometimes :-
Chisel placement 1 2 3 - 1: always ensure the chisel is firmly on the toolrest before engaging the wood, 2: start with the tip very high so the BACK of the chisel is able to rub and bounce on top of the spinning wood without cutting, once you acheive that, 3: slowly pull the chisel back and down until the cutting edge finally comes into contact with the spinning wood
Sharp tools - tools need to be kept sharp for the best cutting. How long they stay sharp will depend on the wood you are attacking, but if you find you have some initial success which then seems to dissapear then you probably have blunt tools.

Hope that helps.

oldiephred
18th September 2008, 08:56 AM
Try this: Rob Wallace's Woodturning Links. Lots of guidance there.
Lots of luck. Until you learn a bit, please do not stand directly in front of a piece of spinning, unbalanced wood wear a face shield and I am a big fan of a foot switch although some don't like them at all.

hughie
18th September 2008, 09:18 AM
I have 4 lathes... I think I need help more than you do. :-

[/QUOTE]

Ho Ho you and me both. :U I have 3 and a fourth on the drawing board..:-

munruben
18th September 2008, 04:06 PM
Wow, thanks for all the advice guys. I dont know of a group that is close by but I will try to find out where the closest one is that I might be able to get to.
I have taken all the advice on board and will try to remember it all. :) Have noted all suggestion regarding reading material and such.
Looks like I got quite a learning curve ahead. Why did those guys make it look so easy at the show?.:(. Oh well Rome wasn't built in a day. But then again, I wasn't on that job.
Thanks again guys. I think it will be a while before I have anything to show on the forum but I wont give up so stay tuned.:)

BazzaDLB
18th September 2008, 05:01 PM
Hi John,
Join the club!!! They say you only learn by making mistakes but I think there are easier ways.

When I started, I joined the Woodturners Society of Qld at Greenslopes and picked the brain of a few of the members.

One of their members conducts classes at the club and I found it was worthwhile to do one of the courses.

He runs them over 5-6weeks normally on the weekends.

I have PM'ed his email address so you can contact him direct.

Hope this helps..

Pasho
18th September 2008, 07:02 PM
Hi John, I live just up the road Jimboomba and would like to get together with you and see what happens. The only problem is I am going on holidays tomorrow and won't be back until next Friday so I would make some time 27th or 28th. PM me.
Cheers David

weisyboy
18th September 2008, 07:09 PM
pitty you wern't a bit closer.

funkychicken
18th September 2008, 07:18 PM
If you're coming round my way anytime soon then feel free to drop in for some lessons

Pasho
18th September 2008, 07:25 PM
I travel to Jindalee every day and Brookfield is just up the road isn't it. What is an hours drive these days. :hpydans:
Cheers

weisyboy
18th September 2008, 07:34 PM
I travel to Jindalee every day and Brookfield is just up the road isn't it. What is an hours drive these days. :hpydans:
Cheers

not that far at all.

i travel to the coast very coupla weekends going down this weekend infact.

wheelinround
18th September 2008, 08:41 PM
you all deserve Greenies :2tsup:

munruben
18th September 2008, 11:21 PM
WOW! I am overwhelmed at the wonderful response I have received from everyone wanting to help me. This must be the most wonderful place on the net. I can't believe the kindness of the forumites and the willingness to help each other.

I can only echo the words of Jeff Fennech " I love you's all"

And a big big thank you to Neil for making this place available to us.:2tsup:

And a BIG BIG thank you to all the members who have been so helpful and kind to me since I joined. The help I have received here over that time has been immeasurable and I can never repay those people for their help.

skot
18th September 2008, 11:46 PM
John,
Like you, I only got my lathe about a month ago and never turned before. I have seen plenty of videos of ppl turning and spent the first weekend making some sawdust. I had a ball and thought I was doing fairly well. I then signed up for a spindle turning course wtith Rob McKee at the Queensland Woodturners Association in Brisbane. I have only done 2 lessons of the 6 lessons course but I have learnt a lot. Even in the first week I picked up at least 4 great tips.

Join a Club or sign up for lessons with someone. It's amazing what you'll learn.

jefferson
19th September 2008, 05:39 AM
John,

I've got some DVDs that will help - Mike Darlow and Richard Raffan. The styles are miles apart but I am sure you'll find them both interesting.

As a novice myself, there is nothing better than having someone stand over your shoulder and tell you what you are doing wrong.

got me cutting clean with the bowl gouge just by gently re-positioning the tool as the lathe was running. also gave me some lessons which were great! Watch that damn skew chisel though, it can be a real PITA.

I've also had Ern visit a couple of times and learnt heaps more. You'll be amazed how differently some turners turn.

So read all you can, but take lessons. Not all of us can nut it out alone.

And good luck!

With a few exceptions, my lathe has been the favoured machine in my shed for six or so months. It is addictive, so watch it. You just mightn't make any "real" furniture for a while.

Jeff

artme
20th September 2008, 04:48 AM
To far away to help directly old mate.

Try Woodturners Soc. of Queensland in Pine St., Greenslopes. They have a webb site you can look up.

Ed Reiss
20th September 2008, 07:52 AM
Watch that damn skew chisel though, it can be a real PITA.

John...the principle of using a skew chisel is the same as a gouge - Keep the bevel rubbing. It's not very difficult to master, and after some time practicing with a spindle gouge, the skew will seem easy...it's a great tool for spindle work!

Cheers,

Ed :D

Mobil Man
20th September 2008, 07:53 AM
John, for starters go to 'Woodcraft.com'. On the home page over on the right it shows a guy carving a horses head. Right at the nose you will see--How to videos--. That will give you hours of watching & how to use some of the turning tools. You'll have to scroll way down the list. Some of the tools aren't needed by a newbee for a long time. Also, Search "youtube' for 'woodturning'. A lot of info there. Another one is "Woodturningonline.com" Many projects. Have fun.
You're situation sounds like mine. I didn't know any turners within 125 miles & clubs out of town was out of the question. Just learned what I could from these videos. Then after a couple of years found this forum & the IAP forum. Great people & help. Still haven't seen another turner at work. Maybe will some day.

munruben
20th September 2008, 09:27 AM
To far away to help directly old mate.

Try Woodturners Soc. of Queensland in Pine St., Greenslopes. They have a webb site you can look up.Thanks Arthur, will explore their website. Hope you are enjoying your holiday, will catch up with you when you get back.

munruben
20th September 2008, 09:29 AM
John, for starters go to 'Woodcraft.com'. On the home page over on the right it shows a guy carving a horses head. Right at the nose you will see--How to videos--. That will give you hours of watching & how to use some of the turning tools. You'll have to scroll way down the list. Some of the tools aren't needed by a newbee for a long time. Also, Search "youtube' for 'woodturning'. A lot of info there. Another one is "Woodturningonline.com" Many projects. Have fun.
You're situation sounds like mine. I didn't know any turners within 125 miles & clubs out of town was out of the question. Just learned what I could from these videos. Then after a couple of years found this forum & the IAP forum. Great people & help. Still haven't seen another turner at work. Maybe will some day.Appreciate that my friend, thank you.:2tsup: