PDA

View Full Version : where to get banksia nuts.

Jarrahrules
17th September 2008, 11:01 PM
Hi guys

where do i get Banksia nuts as i am in WA and looking for them. I think it is south of Perth.

JAMC

tea lady
17th September 2008, 11:44 PM
A couple on ebay at the moment.:)
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BANKSIA-PODS-964-Wood-Turning_W0QQitemZ380063753185QQihZ025QQcategoryZ84012QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Jarrahrules
18th September 2008, 12:33 AM
A couple on ebay at the moment.:)
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BANKSIA-PODS-964-Wood-Turning_W0QQitemZ380063753185QQihZ025QQcategoryZ84012QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I was hoping that someone would tell me if they are south of Perth or not as I am going that way and will keep an eye out if i need to.

JAMC

sfrew
18th September 2008, 01:10 AM
I believe Gingin is the best place for the largest nuts {around 300 mm long} That is north of Perth I worked up that way years ago and could not believe the size of them .Just drive out of town into the farming areas and the people up there will point you in the right direction:D Cheers Steve

HazzaB
18th September 2008, 02:22 AM
I was at Timbecon in Belmont a couple of weeks ago and they had boxes of them on the Floor, could be worth a call and see if they have any left.

HazzaB

Jack Plane
18th September 2008, 09:07 AM
1. Go South of Perth
2. Find Banksia Tree
3. Look at tree
4. Voila!! NUTS

BobL
18th September 2008, 09:52 AM
I believe Gingin is the best place for the largest nuts {around 300 mm long} That is north of Perth I worked up that way years ago and could not believe the size of them .Just drive out of town into the farming areas and the people up there will point you in the right direction:D Cheers Steve

Gingin, yep I'll second that - I've seen some rippers alongside the road on the way to the Gravity Wave Discovery Centre - which is worth a visit in itself. Also on the drive up to the Pinacles.

Jarrahrules
18th September 2008, 11:27 AM
Wouldn't that rot your socks.Wecame from that area. we didn't have internet service so i didn't know. I was told south of perth so i didn't really look.

Bob we went to the gravity discovery centre and spend 3 hours there, loved it.

JAMC

timberbits
18th September 2008, 11:51 AM
Is there much Banksia nuts around the Sydney area? Within 2 hours drive? Do they appear much in national parks? and if they do, are you allowed to take them home?

Sprog
18th September 2008, 02:02 PM
You do know it is illegal to collect Bansia nuts in WA?
Huge fines if you are caught.

Jarrahrules
19th September 2008, 01:41 AM
You do know it is illegal to collect Bansia nuts in WA?
Huge fines if you are caught.

You have to be caught. And how can it be bad to collect a few nuts.

Sprog
19th September 2008, 02:16 PM
You have to be caught. .

Bit like any law really, you have to be caught for it to be wrong!!!

And how can it be bad to collect a few nuts.

It is the law, made to protect the flora and fauna.
Carries massive fines and there are rangers around. You want to take the risk, go ahead.

Jarrahrules
20th September 2008, 12:58 PM
Bit like any law really, you have to be caught for it to be wrong!!!

It is the law, made to protect the flora and fauna.
Carries massive fines and there are rangers around. You want to take the risk, go ahead.

Your right. i have a contact to get some timber on private property so i will have a look there.

Buzz
20th September 2008, 11:58 PM
There's a company down at Denmark that sells them. I got some several years ago, a 20 kg bag, and from memory they were pretty well priced. They were all graded (sized) and priced accordingly. 20 kg is the maximum package size that Australia Post will handle. A link to their web-site is provided below.

www.djarilmari.com