PDA

View Full Version : Noise of Air Filter System (AFS)

Toasty
18th September 2008, 04:14 PM
Hi All,

Wanting to get some info from people who have had either the Jet (http://gpwoodturning.yahoostore.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107136735&product_id=1107219956) or Carbatec (http://www.carbatec.com.au/machinery-for-wood-and-metal-working/dust-extractors/room-air-filters/carba-tec-650cfm-room-air-filter) AFS systems. These are the ones which filter the fine particles from the air, not the bigger dust collectors.

Basically I am looking at getting one for my wife who does lampwork beading. She uses a dual fuel oxy/propane torch to melt glass to make jewellery. The intent of the AFS is to draw away the torch gas fumes from her workspace with it positioned between her and a window.

An AFS looks like it may fit the bill but I want to know how noisy they are, or aren't as the case may be. I know dust extractors (DCs) are pretty noisy, but they have 1hp+ blowers versus the 1/6hp of a smaller AFS. The AFS would be positioned directly in front of my wife and if it is too loud I would prefer using a portable DC that could be positioned OUTSIDE the window with tubes and a hood to draw away the gas.

Anyone have an opinion as to the noise levels?

DJ’s Timber
18th September 2008, 08:50 PM
They aren't loud at all, you can have a conversation next to it whilst it running at full speed but I must question the purpose for which you want to use it. You may be better off buying something like this (http://www.fanmaster.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=88) which is made for removing welding fumes but without having the blower right next to you.

The AFS would work but nowhere near as quick as what the other type would I reckon, try ringing a few welding suppliers up, there are quite a few different types out there.

Toasty
18th September 2008, 09:40 PM
G'day DJ,

Thanks so much for your reply, I really appreciate your opinion.

One of the units I was considering for the fume extraction was this little number (http://www.carbatec.com.au/machinery-for-wood-and-metal-working/dust-extractors/dust-extractors-1hp-to-2hp/carba-tec-34hp-under-bench-dust-extractor) from Carbatec. Jim from Carrol's Woodcraft Supplies made the point that the problem with units like that (and the one you have shown) is the suction is a lot more severe and if something leaves the bench such as gold or silver leaf foil, or molten glass when it shocks, it will probably get pulled straight into the unit.

I think Jim definitly has a point, but it is getting hard to convince the wifey of that as she likes the idea of the suction unit being OUTSIDE with hoses running to her workspace :roll: So in the end it may end up being a unit like the one I have linked, or the one you have linked, as opposed to an AFS. I'm about to order some extraction gear for myself (DC and an AFS) which will include the same model AFS, so it may be something which will help the little lady make up her mind...

Sawdust Maker
18th September 2008, 10:24 PM
Toasty
Not sure I'd like a unit which took the fumes from glass blowing etc using oxy/propane into a bag, As per the one you suggest.

DJ
Like your unit. t'would be good to dump fine sanding dust onto the neighbours place, especially when she comes outside for a fag :o

DJ’s Timber
18th September 2008, 10:52 PM
If you did go with a AFS system, I would remove the standard filters and replace it with some aluminium flyscreen or alternatively put some on the hood of the fume extraction hood. If the suction on the fume extraction was too powerful, you could probably lower it by inserting a y into the hose so that it is then drawing from 2 points rather than 1

Toasty
18th September 2008, 11:04 PM
Toasty
Not sure I'd like a unit which took the fumes from glass blowing etc using oxy/propane into a bag, As per the one you suggest.
Thanks SM,

The bag actually would be removed, all the unit would be used for is fume removal to outside of the house.

If you did go with a AFS system, I would remove the standard filters and replace it with some aluminium flyscreen or alternatively put some on the hood of the fume extraction hood. If the suction on the fume extraction was too powerful, you could probably lower it by inserting a y into the hose so that it is then drawing from 2 points rather than 1

Thanks DJ,

You have given me food for thought, and possibilities for an intake in front of the flame, and above...

Groggy
18th September 2008, 11:15 PM
Don't know if this (http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/portable-ventilator-10-metre-spiral-flexible-duct/)may help.

RETIRED
19th September 2008, 08:32 AM
Another thing to take into account is the "cooling effect" it has by drawing too much air across the work area.
A small draft is better than a hurricane and a normal extractor fan may be better for the job.

Toasty
19th September 2008, 10:31 AM
Thanks Groggy and .

Currently for extraction she has a normal household pedistal fan I got from Big W, and I then cut up the box it came in and fashioned a cowling around the fan to try and make more of a defined suction/draw point. This is between my wife and an open window blowing to the outside. It kinda of works (smoke tests etc) but it is a little noisy, does have a habit of lifting gold leaf foil from the desk if she's not careful and I don't believe it's as effective as it could be. Because her business has been growing I've been able to convince her to start spending money on the health and safety aspects instead of just toys - something I think most of us are guilty of in priority stakes...

Ed Reiss
19th September 2008, 12:34 PM
Hi Shorty...

I use a Jet filtration unit in my basement workshop...it runs continuously and it is barely noticeable noise wise.

I'd recommend it wholeheartedly!:2tsup:

Cheers,

Ed :D

Stuart
19th September 2008, 01:59 PM
There's a video on my Stu's Shed TV page - you can listen for yourself! (If you can hear it at all that is :) )

Toasty
21st September 2008, 01:17 PM
G'day Stu,

I've watched your review of the Carbatec AFS and it has helped.

I've also this week bought a Jet AFS1500 (and a DC unit) for my workshop - OK it's a garage - which should show up next week, so soon my wife will hear and see one firsthand, although the 1500 is a larger unit than I would use for her, if at all.

Have you had a chance to review that GMC portable dust extractor yet?

snapman007
21st September 2008, 02:38 PM
A desk fan pointing away from the work space will draw the fumes, they generally have 3 speeds - point it towards an open window.

A bathroom exhaust fan with some flexible ducting venting directly outside, can then be positioned exactly where it's needed.