PDA

View Full Version : Clever forum

Wongo
23rd March 2004, 12:19 PM
You know when you reply to a post. Forum will automatically generate an email to notify the members of the post. But when there are more than 1 reply to the same post, members would still receive 1 email only instead of many. Am I making any sense?

For example, when I open my mail box back in my office in the morning. I only get 1 email for a particular post even when there were multiple replies occurred over night. How clever?

Hmm, may be the web server is smart enough to work out whether the previous email has been read. If it so then send a new one. If not then don’t send one.

Anyone?

silentC
23rd March 2004, 12:23 PM
Wongo,

In the email it says:

"There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the board again."

So you see, it IS clever. Amazing what you can do with a computer ;)

Wongo
23rd March 2004, 12:32 PM
SilentC,

Funny I was 99% sure you would the first one to reply.

I want to know how it is done. (from a programmer or IT guru) Come on mate you can do better than that.

Scott

silentC
23rd March 2004, 12:38 PM
Here's a guess:

There's a database of members and in each record, a 'date of last visit' field which is updated each time you view a post. There's also a record for each thread you are subscribed to with a field for 'date last email sent'. When a new post arrives for a thread you are subscribed to, the system looks to see if 'date last email sent' is greater than 'date of last visit'. If it is, meaning you got an email for this thread already and you haven't visited the forum since, no email is sent.

When I say 'date' I mean 'date and time'.

Wongo
23rd March 2004, 01:17 PM
Thats more like it. Good boy. Remeber, as my father-in-law said "No one likes a clever d---"

It makes perfect sense to me.

Thanks

AlexS
23rd March 2004, 06:47 PM
This is indeed a clever BB.
My blind woodworker mate, who in real life consults on technical aids for disabled students, recently used this as an example of what a BB should be like for blindies to use.

Ben from Vic.
24th March 2004, 06:05 PM
If only we were so clever :confused:

Ben. :D ;)