PDA

View Full Version : 5th Wheelers any good?

Wild Dingo
18th September 2008, 10:46 PM
Im just starting to consider a mobile home as an alternative to a mortgage or renting and stumbled upon the so called 5th Wheeler design... so was wondering if anyone has one or knows of someone with one and whats the verdict on them?

Cheers
Shane

tea lady
18th September 2008, 10:49 PM
But if that's where the shed's going where are you gonna sleep? :?:D

BobR
18th September 2008, 11:01 PM
The smaller ones are comparable to a large caravan. When you start looking at the big ones, then its a different game - and big bucks ($500K - $750K). For people who are making it their real home, then a big 5th wheeler provides a lot of comfort and space. If you are travelling with it then caravan parks can be a problem. Many parks are old and were designed for a 15' van. Almost impossible for a 5th wheeler in; tough enough getting a big dual axel caravan in. Then a big tow vehicle is required. F250 is not uncommon, but the smaller ones can be pulled by a ute with a good engine. Hope this helps.

wheelinround
19th September 2008, 08:58 AM
Shane horse floats come a lot cheaper often with living quaters then in the back there is room for tools.

Its just the smell thats the problem

Christopha
19th September 2008, 09:15 AM
Jeez Shane! When did you win the friggin' lottery mate???

Wild Dingo
20th September 2008, 12:13 AM
Jeez Shane! When did you win the friggin' lottery mate???

:D :D yeah right!! I wish eh :q

Nah Im just looking at options... Once the house is in my name then I WILL be selling it... just cant abide the memories drive home come to the driveway and look for her car in the carport never there... open the front door thinking shes there never is... wake in the middle of the night and the beds empty that sort of thing so Im selling it... And due to that Im thinking its about time to look at what options I have or will have comes down to 4 I reckon

1) Buy a live aboard boat
2) Buy another house
3) Rent a house
4) Buy a mobile home

And so Im going through the motions of whats what with each of them... what I want and what I dont want how I want to live and how I dont want to live

I spoke with Jo the other week and she made perfect sence... in that I should start to put myself first as she has and start to work out what it is that I want that makes me happy in life.

So in regards to the above 4 options
1) mmm yes a boat would be good... but well Im not ready for that lifestyle yet and theres the nippers to think of so it would need to be a large boat which would mean a larger cost to purchase first then maintain etc

2) I dont want another morgage for awhile... weve bought 3 houses in 25 years each progressively worse than the last... till finally this one... and it almost killed us both literally... so I have no interest or intent of buying another for awhile... I also dont like the lifestyle of suburbia never knowing your neighbors never chatting with people no friends that shyte Im over it.

3) Rent... I may well rent for 6 months just to settle things and get myself focused without the burden of debt... but its a hell of a waste of money in my book at 320 a week average around here thats 10K with services for 6 months!! geez I can think of a hell of a lot of other things Id rather spend that sort of money on than paying someone elses morgage... and on top of that Im paying 300 a week on the damned morgage so why go from this to that?? doesnt make any logical sence or financial but it would mean debt free

4) Mobile home... The more I consider it the more sence it makes at least for the short to medium term... maybe not a 5th wheeler that was just something that has taken my interest a bit of late... Id rather a bus coach or something of that nature so I can drag the 4x4 behind me... but it offers me a lifestyle that based on previous experience I really did enjoy meet new people every day always a friendly face nearby rents not bad especially if your self contained :; when in a park have access to swimming pool tennis court etc included in the costs... if it gets that youve had a gut full pack up and up stakes to the next one.

Ive also spoken to the supervisor at work and as they dont have but need an onsite caretaker at the compounds here and in Busselton then it would increase my paypacket by an extra mans wages each week... rent free access to generator power water and near enough to town AND bonus of an added wage!!

Thing with it is I should clear enough from the sale to buy one and have investment in fixed term so Id be totally independant and debt free for the first time in a bloody long time... and that appeals!! :2tsup: so thinking is at present to sell invest half buy a mobile home then in a year or whatevers time take the invested money and put a deposit on another house... if thats what I want then... I have another couple of years being based here for the nippers but then I wouldnt mind taking to the road and hell at my age I reckon Im due a bit of luxury eh?... and no I dont think you have to pay half a mil for a palace on wheels there are some bloody fine luxury out there for 100K and under... taking the time and considering what exactly you want and your budget are the most important things I reckon. (note THEN one must of course make bloody sure the things the ducks knuts BEFORE you shell out for it!!)

I really havent decided yet as Im still in the throws of trying to figure it all out... and it will no doubt take at least 6 months to sell the place anyway... but way I see it I may as well start considering the options?

Cheers!!
Shane

Ohhh and the tools?... well something else Ive been considering is to downsize minimize and economize so I will spend a bit of time considering WHAT tools EXACTLY I NEED... get rid of the ones I dont or are too big and buy just those ones I do need and are able to be setup and carried with me... on that score Im drawing up some design sketches for Yonnee to perve at and then let me know if it can be done or tell me .to GET A FLAMIN GRIP!! :roll: :U

arose62
20th September 2008, 06:36 PM
Re point 2) "never knowing your neighbours".

My first house was in a cul-de-sac, and it had a pretty good community spirit, - at Christmas we'd all stick a few bbq's in the street and have a neighbourhood get-together.

We've just moved to a house in a cul-de-sac. SWMBO was a bit reluctant (not sure why) but it's also got a good community feel to it. The kids all run from house to house, the neighbours watch out for each other, check house alarms, note suspect number plates, put out forgotten bins, have a few drinks in someone's driveway every week or two.

So, the point is, in my experience, a cul-de-sac is the best bet if you want to get to know your neighbours in today's rat race.

Cheers,
Andrew

malb
21st September 2008, 04:04 PM
For my two bobs worth, I would suggest trying to avoid a middle stage if you can.

If you do something as a transition it will cost. Whatever you do as the transistion, you will struggle to get the money back when you progress to the real solution, while the cost of the real solution will keep escalating while you are in the transition stage.

Based on that, I would suggest hanging on to what you have while you work out where you want to be in say four years time, then organise an orderly changeover at the appropriate time. I know you say that it will hurt emotionally, but until you have a life plan sorted out, most other options will hurt emotionally and financially.

By hanging on to the house, it will appreciate at a similar or greater rate than whatever you eventually get to replace it. Sell it and put money into a caravan mobile etc, you will loose if you change your mind and sell down the track, and keeping the balance in an investment account will yeild growth of about half what the house has, and then the tax department will want 30% of the growth as well.

As an final option consider renting the house out and renting something cheaper for yourself or buying an older van that has a low depreciation base from the rent, and use the rest to support the mortgage on the house. Then when you decide which way to go, offload and move on.

Nuf said, time for me to pull my head back in.

DavidG
21st September 2008, 04:12 PM
Buy a house..
A boat is like poring money into a hole in the water.
A van, no matter the size is a depreciation cost of large order.
Rent is dead money. Why pay off some one else's house.

Also consider a block of land with a shed, if the land will appreciate in value.

BazzaDLB
21st September 2008, 04:17 PM
Hi Shane,

I have a fiver but do not live in it permanently.
It is Australian built (Adelaide), now around 12 years old and 30 foot long. I tow it with an Iveco 50C17 Tray back and find it to be a good tug.
As far as towing is concerned I find it more stable than a caravan as the weight is over the back axle and not pivoting behind it. It is also a breeze to reverse and can be turned in a very tight circle.
I have 'nearly' finished refurbishing mine and hopefully will be on the road again around the end of November.
Is the length a big issue?? Not really when you think that part of it is above the tug, there is no drawbar and they are a easy to maneuver. We do find that it keeps us out of the big caravan parks but I'm not keen on hearing my 'neighbor's bedroom habits anyway. The smaller van parks tend to allow a bit more freedom regarding where you park.
It has all the mod cons and we easily call it home for months on end, but there are only two of us.

Hope you find what you want and enjoy it!!!

Wild Dingo
22nd September 2008, 01:04 AM
Cheers!!

Great responses :2tsup:

I hear what your saying about transitional changes mal, but this wont be a transitional change but a life and lifestyle change.

Present thinking is that I will rent a house for a time 6 months or so over in Australind sell this place... yes I know it will appreciate considerably over time but Im done with it... seriously when my children and grandies wont visit or come here for any reason its time I wasnt here and thats what has happened in the last few months

I should get a fair return on the sale which will see me right for a fair while to come as my needs are minimal and with work it would be unnessary to access the money put aside into fixed term... no it wont increase as a house would even this dump but it will give me the life I want.

Thank you for your advice mate seriously good food for thought and I will consider it as I go along. :2tsup:

Bazza mate thanks for that!! I was hoping someone would have one and know a bit about them.

Interesting that some parks have problems with them... hadnt heard that before mind you I havent seen one in a park yet!! To tell the truth I have only ever seen one!... and that was in a yard and I was driving past so never actually wandered inside one to see what theyre like mmmm must do that eh!

I will do so before committing myself to a definant course of action. :2tsup:

Present thinking is to sell rent fly to Melb or Sydney buy a coach/bus and drive it back and do the remodel here while renting... got swag will sleep!! then move into a caravan park till the dust settles and the young fella is of age to decide his course in life.

Im done with living this life and lifestyle and need to change and do what I want and need to do and I cant do that with the burden of debt and morgage over my head. So I will take as long as it takes to sell it to consider my options and route.

Cheers
Shane

Christopha
22nd September 2008, 08:42 AM
Shane, mate, you can't afford to run a friggin bus mate! The flamin' things cost an armanaleg to run, register, insure etc etc... think "manageable" mate, physically and financially!

David L
22nd September 2008, 06:58 PM
5ers have a lot of advantages with towing and maneuverability the main draw back as I see it is that you loose the storage capacity in the back of the tow vehicle. :(
By the way you can buy them for less than 100k especially second hand.
A motor home you need a run around vehicle as well.:(
The advantage of a caravan and you can buy a good one for 15-30K, is that you can carry your tools/ gear in the back of your tow vehicle and have the same space / comfort of a motor home at far less expense and up keep.:D It is also easy to move if you decide to travel or chase a job else where.
Forget the boat.... money in the ocean and too limiting.:no:
Buying a block of land is not a bad idea. If it is in a rural area you may be able to park the van on it if you want to stay in the area for a while. And not have to pay tax on the interest from your investments.

Just my 2 bobs worth.

Wild Dingo
25th September 2008, 12:32 AM
Cheers David

Mate... Im not sure at this stage which way to go with the mobile home/caravan/whatever Im still cogitating... it will a) take a month or more for the court thing to happen and b) probably another 6 months to sell the house so Ive got plenty of time.

Thing is Im thinking after years of scrimping and settling for second best for so long I reckon I deserve some luxury and comfort... so Ive got a budget that I will be sticking to for the vehicle whatever I finally decide on... and for investment which should be ample as a deposit on another house if I decide to go that way again or may even purchase a nice block somewhere without debt... thats the thing I really NEED to have a break from... debt.

Im planning on selling then renting for 6 months and take a few weeks to find the one I want then go there and pick it up and bring it home... if its a caravan I will probably just buy one local and be done (ahem unless it comes WITH a vehicle then Id go get it!) but anything else will entail a flight east as our prices here like with boats are bloody higher than over there... more choice competition I guess

But several criteria are non negotionable at this stage.
1) It MUST be luxury and comfortable
2) It MUST be fully self contained.
3) It MUST have queen bed AND 2 bunks

Budget Ive set is 50K all up... of course this can be lower but thats about the limit (although if its a matter of 10K for brilliant comfort well that will be doable)

Ive also revised the bus/coach thing... no I dont need one so thats been taken out of the equasion... however something like a Hino Rainbow I think theyre called? is not nor is a late model Coaster or Nissan... As long as its GOOD and with everything I need and want.

Im still iffy about caravans simply because I dont and never have liked them much for some reason... I much prefer something that I can tow the 4x4 with that has luxury accomadations (and of course drivers seating!!) and the home in the back.

I did notice there were 2 that I really would have bought in the most recent issue of Caravan and Mobile home trader had this been all sorted a few months back... An Allegro Class A in NSW and a Monaco Crown Royal here in Perth both sorta maxed and then some the budget but if youve seen them or the mag then thats the thing I want and really if I have to go there then so be it... it would still enable the investment and some travel but Id probably have to remain at work for a few months to boost the old accounts a bit but well it would be worth it.

Im aware that I dont NEED such a vehicle... that I could do without all the luxury and comfort and do rather well... but why shouldnt I spoil myself just a bit after all this time? Im not trying to impress anyone or skyte just thinking of myself and putting myself first as she reckoned I should and she is... and I think well buggar it why not go all out? If I must live alone then damn it I WILL be comfortable with a modicom of luxury!

Anyway Im rambling again so better buggar off to bed before work in the am

Cheers
Shane

RETIRED
25th September 2008, 07:35 AM
Define luxury pleae WD.

Christopha
25th September 2008, 07:49 PM
Define luxury pleae WD.

I think anything with a dunny and a big fridge would do the bugger ;)

wheelinround
25th September 2008, 11:17 PM
:oo: Shane please dont get a Rainbow:no: you'll be sorry I can assure you. Although pleasant to drive passengers around in like little Japs or Thai's in the city driving them up mounatins isn't fun. Bigger people like Fijian's, Tongan's or Mori's or towing a trailer full of luggage they wont pull the skin of a rice pudding.
They may look great http://www.carriggmotorhomes.com.au/index-5.html
They have the same motor as the Toyota 27 seater Execative long wheelbase but it handles the hauling better and not so squeaze.

EDIT 2238 hrs The main difference is Hino Rainbow is 4 cylinder while Coaster is 6 cylinder

Maybe a Midi might suit you more

Good shoppig spot http://www.cmca.net.au/pages/marketplace/index.php

Wild Dingo
26th September 2008, 02:16 AM
Define luxury pleae WD.

aaahhh I knew there would be one to ask that mysterious question :;

mmmm how does one define "luxury" and or "comfort"?

I guess comfort is defined by ones particular tastes... Ive been comfortable for years my tastes are reasonably simple (note see Chris's post :q ) however "luxury" is a bit more out there to define but I as usual will endeavor to try

Luxury to me means arm chair comfort fine materials smooth ride everything one could need in one spot without the need for stress or hassle, luxury to me is total comfort no matter if driving (think padded comfortable arm chair ride) sitting having a meal walking barefeet on thick carpet sleeping on deep pillowed mattress views from the bed not being scrunched in anyway. ie: not cheep crap

Thats the short of it I guess...

Cheers
Shane

RETIRED
26th September 2008, 07:50 PM
aaahhh I knew there would be one to ask that mysterious question :;

mmmm how does one define "luxury" and or "comfort"?

I guess comfort is defined by ones particular tastes... Ive been comfortable for years my tastes are reasonably simple (note see Chris's post :q ) however "luxury" is a bit more out there to define but I as usual will endeavor to try

Luxury to me means arm chair comfort fine materials smooth ride everything one could need in one spot without the need for stress or hassle, luxury to me is total comfort no matter if driving (think padded comfortable arm chair ride) sitting having a meal walking barefeet on thick carpet sleeping on deep pillowed mattress views from the bed not being scrunched in anyway. ie: not cheep crap

Thats the short of it I guess...

Cheers
ShaneIn that case you will need a comfortable tow vehicle for driving comfort.

In the 5th wheeler or any motorhome or caravan carpet is the pits except in the bedroom. Vinyl every where else because no matter how careful you are you always manage to traipse in dirt and unlike a house it is hard work to clean carpet.

Bed is generally not a problem unless you buy a smallish vehicle. Most 5th wheelers at minimum have a normal double bed and if wide enough a queen size. Matress is your choice but fit it on a good base not the standard caravan sort.

Wild Dingo
26th September 2008, 09:22 PM
mate I love yer man!! You can always be assured of a simple straight forward and clear answer with you around :U :2tsup:

Yeah I was thinking about that carpet idea today as I clambered in and out of the truck leaving a couple of kilos of sand grit dirt and crap all over the floor... mmm not a good idea eh? duhhhh derwent :doh:

Woodlee
27th September 2008, 03:55 AM
Define luxury pleae WD.

Shoe box in middla road ,sheer lookshery .

Sorry couldn't help myself

Kev.

Wild Dingo
28th September 2008, 12:43 PM
:q You'll keep yer wombat!

Okay so I wandered around a few caravan sales yards yesty before and after me trip to Kirup... of the hundred or so caravans we looked at there was only 1 that even came close to what I want and need in a mobile home arrangement... the others were either too small had no dunny or shower no bunks for the nippers or the flamin bed was made for a midget! I mean Im a shortwheel based fella but god those double beds were SMALL!!! as for cupboard storage space none had what Id call anywhere near enough.

So seems to me a caravan would be out unless I get a bloody monster which would mean a truck to tow the thing... or I want to live extremely frugal and with extremely limited things... and no tools whatever... this is to say nothing about the nippers needs like a ruddy bed... most didnt have an oven and only a bar fridge without a freezer! STUPID!! DUMB AND REDICULOUS for the price of the things!!

So okay Ive done the caravan thing... no show on that front... be good for a week maybe but longer than that and Id go stark raving bonkers in a rush... not a good look Im thinking

So must find the nearest 5th wheeler place and go have a gander at some of them... just to get a feel of the things room space whats in them etc... then I guess its gonna be back to the actual mobile home looking for one for me idea

Cheers
Shane

mmmm on reflection a truck may not be such a bad idea after all... tipper say 12 ton job could bung the 4x4 in the bucket on the back hitch up the caravan and off I go... mmm but where would I put the bobcat? I mean IF I ever buy a small tipper I would HAVE to buy a bobcat!!... plenty of work then by gar... but then where to put the 4x4??? cant tow it behind the caravan now can I?... mmm of course I could just bung the bobcat into the truck hitch the caravan get to wherever Im going fly back pick up car and drive to the caravan... mmmm bit xy with the price of all that fuel and flying... mmm food for thought :;

wheelinround
29th September 2008, 09:41 AM
Hey you finished that other one yet slacko :no: so whats the problem lost intterest or come to a sudden stop ya stuffed it :?

Now a couple of solutions

A Prime mover and trailer used to haul cars etc like this http://www.asm-autos.co.uk/images/6-car_transporter_large2.jpg

see plenty room for 4x4, boat & bobcat all on the top deck enclose the bottom deck at the front part and you can have a traveling workshop as you can see motor home is towed behind :D

Wild Dingo
5th October 2008, 10:12 PM
:2tsup: Sometimes Ray you get the brightest ideas!! :;

Ive pretty much decided I think... bus it is... Oh and Chris? The license isnt an issue old son got that use it all the time at work... now the thing with that is ahem I dont know electrics or auto electrics from a hole in me noggin!!... I reckon I can handle the remodel of the interior but the electrics would strangle a chook!!... ahem and Im pretty well color blind so... I am now considering a wee trip east to visit a couple of buses for a looksee... so what I will need is someone first in NSW who is...

1) A fellow woodnut thats also cognisant and fully aware of diesel motors gearboxes and such of the sort buses use...

2) A fellow woodnut with a clue as to how to wire the thing for a) battery power 240 power and solar panels

Im presently drawing up some plans for a car trailer including workshop for Yonnee to have a gander at and let me know what bits and bobs Id need to buy in before HE begins! :;

And drawing up the internals Id like along with the bin layouts... ie: 1 front bin for the laundry setup one complete side to side bin setup for some of the tools and travelling wood storage (sliding shelves and sliding with raiser stands for the tools ie 14in bandsaw and small table saw etc) Im thinking I will somehow or other work out water both fresh and grey/black tanks somewhere (ahem another woodnut with knowledge?)

Intent is to make it a HOME and totally self sufficent ergo any issues with any caravan park and its down to the nearest truck bay I go! But mostly where I intend going I dont intend to have to be reliant for power water etc for a good period of time....

I think a budget of around 30 - 40K for the bus should get me a decent one (Jeff Nance seems to have some good ones around that price... this without actually seeing them of course!) and about the same (or slightly less) for the fitout as I will use much of what I already have or build what I want different and therefore wont need to buy any of the furnishings etc

Any ideas thoughts suggestions will be greatfully accepted!!

Cheers
Shane

PS... Ray the campers being finished and given to Tiffany once this is complete for her and her families use... sort of a "thank you flea" for the help shes given me over the last 8 months :2tsup: Im intending on using and enjoying it over the summer with the nippers camping out etc... if the damned weather would change and clear up for longer than a few damned hours Id get it done!! :~

PSS... the types of buses Im presently looking at are the Dennings Tourmaster and Mercedes Benz if that helps for the diesel fitters? easy way is to go to RVpoint.com.au and chase buses look for any of the 1988 onward buses.

Wild Dingo
5th October 2008, 10:25 PM
Oh... and when I do buy it (hoping for early next year) I will probably spend a few months over that way to get the work done ie trailer and electrics setup etc I havent decided if I will drive it back to complete it or just stay over there and do it... either way I will be able to stick around for as long as it takes.

Have swag can crash anywhere until its done :2tsup: Or just leave it where the works being done and zip over to SA and cause Chris as much pain an suffering (read hangovers :U :; ) as we can fit in! Then scuttle back once done and move to wherever the next job is to be done... scuttle meself up to Wendy and cause her reputation massive damage give Neil a few headaches and pain (read hangovers again) then Yonnee should be done with the trailer (ahem if he deems its a goer of course and we agree on a price for his expertize!) shuttle down there fix him up and wander back to Chris give him a final headache and buggar of across the null and bore to see the nippers!!

If I get bored (doubtful) I can always catch a cheep flight west and see the nippers for a bit then fly back to annoy Chris again... or whoever else would like to share a headache or two!! :2tsup:

I reckon I could maybe keep the costs down by leaving of on the headaches for a week or two and helping out with what needs be done... if thats alright with those conserned of course! Some bods dont like some nob hanging around while they do their thing. :roll:

But Im pretty much set on this course now and feel bloody good about it to!! :2tsup:

I was initially thinking of buying one already done up but reckon I should do it to what I want and be comfy from the get go... can find a nice big lump of some drop dead gorgeous timber and turn the dunny if he so desires! Love a lump of fine turned timber for a dunny I would :U :2tsup:

Cheers
Shane

Wild Dingo
5th October 2008, 10:39 PM
Re point 2) "never knowing your neighbours".

My first house was in a cul-de-sac, and it had a pretty good community spirit, - at Christmas we'd all stick a few bbq's in the street and have a neighbourhood get-together.

We've just moved to a house in a cul-de-sac. SWMBO was a bit reluctant (not sure why) but it's also got a good community feel to it. The kids all run from house to house, the neighbours watch out for each other, check house alarms, note suspect number plates, put out forgotten bins, have a few drinks in someone's driveway every week or two.

So, the point is, in my experience, a cul-de-sac is the best bet if you want to get to know your neighbours in today's rat race.

Cheers,
Andrew

Totally agree mate... when we lived in Carnarvon before we moved out to Ingadda Mission to live we lived in a nice house in a cul de sac in town within the first few days had visits from the old couple over the road with a warm welcome and by weeks end almost the entire cul de sac had come over for coffee bringing cakes and such with them... that was then and that was up there down here it doesnt work like that no one gives a flying rats buttcrack about their neighbors from my experience.

I guess really Im pretty jaded with society in general and the house lifestyle...

Well I sorta made it on the edge of the baby boomer era so why not join the grey brigade and take to the road and do the kids SKI money? :;

Wild Dingo
5th October 2008, 10:50 PM
Shane, mate, you can't afford to run a friggin bus mate! The flamin' things cost an armanaleg to run, register, insure etc etc... think "manageable" mate, physically and financially!

Define "manageable" mate :;

aaahh buggared if I know!! Not much thats truely "manageable" one way or the other... a house? unmanagable when breathing the air in the place suffocates you... another house? unmanagable when your trapped into a mortgage for years on end... rent a house? unmanagable to pay someone elses mortgage when this place is cheeper to buy than any place around here is to rent... a caravan? unmanageable TOO FRIGGIN SMALL for starters and where the blazes do I put me damned tools???... a block of land? good idea but with the price of land here being unmanageable it would be way WAY out in the backblocks of Leonora!!... yes everything has its unmanageable side... really it comes down to what a person WANTS to make manageable thats the reality of it all.

live in a caravan and put everything in storage? possibility I guess but to get a caravan of the length comfort and "luxury" I WANT would cost about what Im thinking of paying for a mobile home!! AND Id have to replace the 4x4 for a bigger one to haul the thing! Then the costs skyrocket...

Ive got time I guess and Im not rushing a thing all I KNOW for sure is I need out of here... thats going to happen... what Im trying to do is work out what to do where to go from here in my life!

Cheers
Shane the confused

wheelinround
6th October 2008, 10:19 AM
Sometimes Ray you get the brightest ideas!!
Well I try :B shame one of my bosses didn't listen 20 years ago e would now be building and selling Motorhomes.........then he was a daft idiot still is.

Ive pretty much decided I think... bus it is... Oh and Chris? The license isnt an issue old son got that use it all the time at work... now the thing with that is ahem I dont know electrics or auto electrics from a hole in me noggin!!... I reckon I can handle the remodel of the interior but the electrics would strangle a chook!!... ahem and Im pretty well color blind so... I am now considering a wee trip east to visit a couple of buses for a looksee... so what I will need is someone first in NSW who is...
Yeh right you & NSW

1) A fellow woodnut thats also cognisant and fully aware of diesel motors gearboxes and such of the sort buses use... :whistling2: In the words of Shultz " I Know Nothing"

2) A fellow woodnut with a clue as to how to wire the thing for a) battery power 240 power and solar panels Inverters (http://www.ferret.com.au/c/Projecta/24-240-Volt-inverters-provide-user-comfort-for-commercial-fleets-and-boats-n673121) is whats used Ding 24v to 240 for on the road and a wiring switch for 240 straight from van park. A generator would be needed to run tools, a diesel one which can be connected to main tank. Solar power is :2tsup: idea except it needs to be in a safe place on he roof or where ever over haning tree's :no: low bridges etc.

Im presently drawing up some plans for a car trailer including workshop for Yonnee to have a gander at and let me know what bits and bobs Id need to buy in before HE begins! :;

And drawing up the internals Id like along with the bin layouts... ie: 1 front bin for the laundry setup one complete side to side bin setup for some of the tools and travelling wood storage (sliding shelves and sliding with raiser stands for the tools ie 14in bandsaw and small table saw etc) Im thinking I will somehow or other work out water both fresh and grey/black tanks somewhere (ahem another woodnut with knowledge?)

Bin sizes vary between body builders and chassis types

Intent is to make it a HOME and totally self sufficent ergo any issues with any caravan park and its down to the nearest truck bay I go! But mostly where I intend going I dont intend to have to be reliant for power water etc for a good period of time....

I think a budget of around 30 - 40K for the bus should get me a decent one (Jeff Nance seems to have some good ones around that price... this without actually seeing them of course!) and about the same (or slightly less) for the fitout as I will use much of what I already have or build what I want different and therefore wont need to buy any of the furnishings etc :doh: :roll: Talk about name dropping :U

Any ideas thoughts suggestions will be greatfully accepted!!

Cheers
Shane

PS... Ray the campers being finished and given to Tiffany once this is complete for her and her families use... sort of a "thank you flea" for the help shes given me over the last 8 months :2tsup: Im intending on using and enjoying it over the summer with the nippers camping out etc... if the damned weather would change and clear up for longer than a few damned hours Id get it done!! :~

PSS... the types of buses Im presently looking at are the Dennings Tourmaster and Mercedes Benz if that helps for the diesel fitters? easy way is to go to RVpoint.com.au and chase buses look for any of the 1988 onward buses.

Ok Christopher is partly right $$ to run Dennings & Tourmasters normally come with GM motor's, you think the old F150 guzzled fuel :roll:........but they also built bodies with Mercedes, Volvo, Cummins, MAN, Scania gee even UD. MAN, Scania, Merc & Iced Vovo's better fuel economy and some with Auto trans. Just depends on how often you want to repair or be on the side of the road fixing it.

If you do come over let me know so I can look out for a gnome :U

Wild Dingo
8th October 2008, 12:18 AM
Ok Christopher is partly right $$ to run Dennings & Tourmasters normally come with GM motor's, you think the old F150 guzzled fuel :roll:........but they also built bodies with Mercedes, Volvo, Cummins, MAN, Scania gee even UD. MAN, Scania, Merc & Iced Vovo's better fuel economy and some with Auto trans.

Just depends on how often you want to repair or be on the side of the road fixing it.

If you do come over let me know so I can look out for a gnome :U

MATE!!! Im hoping NOT to be doing that!!!

Yes fuel costs are a thing that has to be worked out and fixed into the budget... REALIZING that it IS a friggin great BUS with a flamin humungus body AND motor to feed pull haul move fuel was always a known large expense... as are any repairs... NOTE TO THE DOPEY WOMBAT put a good slice into an account called "Bus fixup costs" and dont touch more into account called "Bus movement costs" and dont touch... top up as required

Auto would be good but Ive not had any luck so far finding one... So fuel economy wise Merc is about the better?

1) A fellow woodnut thats also cognisant and fully aware of diesel motors gearboxes and such of the sort buses use... In the words of Shultz " I Know Nothing"

Does this mean YOU actually know SOMETHING??? :U about these things? :2tsup:

As for me and NSW "yeh right"... mate Im prepared to even go to NSW for what I want if it means getting it RIGHT first time!! :2tsup:

Cheers
Shane

wheelinround
8th October 2008, 06:57 PM
MATE!!! Im hoping NOT to be doing that!!!

Yes fuel costs are a thing that has to be worked out and fixed into the budget... REALIZING that it IS a friggin great BUS with a flamin humungus body AND motor to feed pull haul move fuel was always a known large expense... as are any repairs... NOTE TO THE DOPEY WOMBAT put a good slice into an account called "Bus fixup costs" and dont touch more into account called "Bus movement costs" and dont touch... top up as required

Auto would be good but Ive not had any luck so far finding one... So fuel economy wise Merc is about the better?
:2tsup: Ding Merc's Man's etc could cut the fuel cost by 25% compared to GM running gear les hassles for repair unless your a GM mechanic or know a good mate who is.

Does this mean YOU actually know SOMETHING??? :U about these things? :2tsup:
Maybe :;

As for me and NSW "yeh right"... mate Im prepared to even go to NSW for what I want if it means getting it RIGHT first time!! :2tsup:

Cheers
Shane

Shane Jeff Nance and I did our apprenticeship together then he drove coaches for an opposition mob but we always got on well together.

Pm coming