PDA

View Full Version : T shaped draw knife

Kencold
19th September 2008, 01:12 PM
Hello people,
I have an old T shaped draw knife ,, It has double removable blades , the handles are at different positions , one end it runs straight with the blades and the other end crosses like a T, Stamped in the middle of the blade is the words "Horn steel". it; looks like there is somthing in front of the word horn , like a letter of some kind but I cant make it out . It also has the number 2 stamped on one end , I was just wondering what this type of draw knife would be used for , also on the screws that hold the blades in are some type of stamps or designs some are square and some are moon shaped , and one more stamp on the blade , looks like the shape of a tick bug , the kinds that get on dogs , any one who could give me a little info about this draw knife , I would really appeciate it ,thanks , :2tsup:

jmk89
19th September 2008, 01:30 PM
sounds like something a carriage maker might use. But how about a picture - most of us are much better identifying a picture..

cawoodworker
19th July 2009, 08:22 AM
Ken,
The draw knife sounds like it is one called a Pummel knife. Chair makers, especially Windsor chairs, would use it on the front edge of th seat when sloping it down so your legs don't go to sleep from sitting. The streight end of the knife would be held over the seat so you could angle the knife down while shaping the blank and not have the handle hitting which it would if 90 degrees to the blade. Michel Dunbar shows one in his book about Windsor chairs. His books can be found on his web " Windsor Institute" Hope this helps