PDA

View Full Version : Black walnut desk

ciscokid
19th September 2008, 09:43 PM
Title says it all. It's a desk for my library I made from large black walnut live edge slabs. The top has been bookmatched from a piece out of the crotch of the tree. It measures three feet wide on one end and four feet wide on the other and is seven feet long. The back and legs are three inches thick. The top is about an inch and a half. Oil and varnish finish.

Terrible photos. It is sitting in an unfinished part of my basement where I finished it. My shed being too small and too dusty for finishing work. It will have to be dissassembled and the pieces carried up two flights of stairs as soon as I get the room painted.

RufflyRustic
19th September 2008, 09:55 PM
oh WowOhWowOh YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:2tsup:

Now that is gorgeous! Yeah, terrible photos:doh:, you'll just have to take more as those are not enough and I'm sure there's much, much more there to drool over:wink::U

Claw Hama
19th September 2008, 10:09 PM
Yeah, very nice Cisco, thats what we're talking about. 3" Black Walnut, what I would give for a slab of that. And yes more photos, maybe some close ups of those butterflys.

Peter36
21st September 2008, 06:07 PM
Thats mind blowing Cisco . The butterflys look great . Are they for decoration or do they also join the pieces .:2tsup::2tsup:Must weigh a ton :oo:

Peter

ciscokid
21st September 2008, 11:41 PM
Thank you all for the kind comments. I started painting the room where it will eventually reside yesterday so I hope for better pictures in about a week.

The butterflys down the center bookmatch seam are decorative. That seam is reinforced with biscuits so the butterflys are superfluous. The other butterflys, on the other hand, are actually functional. Large black walnut slabs like these are prone to having cracks. Particularly when they are crotch slabs, as these are. The butterflys are placed across the cracks to prevent them from growing any larger. Hopefully, that is. Anyway, that's the theory and I'm sticking to it.

This is my first attempt at slab furniture and I looked at many finished pieces before starting. The butterflys across the cracks seem to be a recurring theme so I simply copied them. SOme have asked why I didn't use a darker timber to make them less visible. I am of the opinion that, if they are going to be there at all, make them out of a dressy timber and let them stand out.

This beast is bloody heavy. It will have to be taken completely apart to get it up the two flights of stairs. I will have to bribe my neighbor with beer to get some help with this one. :U "Hey, Kevin, what are you doing this afternoon? I've got something to show you." :roll:

RufflyRustic
22nd September 2008, 09:29 AM
I reckon that would work - the bribe that is :D

Good luck with the move.

cheers
Wendy

Scally
22nd September 2008, 10:41 AM
That is a great looking desk.

Normally I don't like the look of butterflies but yours work well.
I think you made the right decision to use contrasting timber.

How have you joined the stretcher to the ends?

Can it be completely disassembled for moving?

BobR
22nd September 2008, 10:42 AM
That is one beautiful desk. Any trouble resawing the timber for the book match.

ciscokid
22nd September 2008, 11:23 AM
It can be completely disassembled for moving (thank goodness). Each piece weighs a good bit. And I had no difficulty whatsoever resawing for the bookmatch. The place I bought it from did it for me. :B For a small charge of course.:;

artme
23rd September 2008, 02:54 AM
:o:o:o Drooool, dribble, slobber!!!

Brilliant!!! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: