PDA

View Full Version : Gooday, I'm new here.

oak
19th September 2008, 08:55 PM
Hi all im only 14 and i have only started using the lathe this year but so far i have done 2 Pine bowls/cups and 4 Honeysuckle bowls around 6 to 7 cm diameter (the pine and Honeysuckle).
Just incase you havn't heard of Hunysuckle it is a hardwood that has a nice reddish pink look to it when oiled after turning

plz send me an email at [email protected]

This is only at school but i would like to know a little more about lathes and wood to use and other related things.

Regards Oak

Ed Reiss
20th September 2008, 01:11 PM
Hi GV...
another possibility would be to check around for a used Nova 1500 (Teknatool). That is the lathe I've used since the mid-ninties. It is relativetly heavy duty and will swing 16"'s.

Whatever you wind up with...good luck!

Cheers,

Ed :D

Ed Reiss
20th September 2008, 01:17 PM
Hi all im only 14 and i have only started using the lathe this year but so far i have done 2 Pine bowls/cups and 4 Honeysuckle bowls around 6 to 7 cm diameter (the pine and Honeysuckle).
Just incase you havn't heard of Hunysuckle it is a hardwood that has a nice reddish pink look to it when oiled after turning

plz send me an email at [email protected]

This is only at school but i would like to know a little more about lathes and wood to use and other related things.

Regards Oak

Hi Oak...and welcome!
You've come to the the best damn forum around...you should be able to get a wealth of info from here. Check if there is a turners club in your area...a good way to learn from others directly. If you can afford it, get a couple of videos on turning, for example Richard Raffan's "Turning Wood" and Del Stubb's "Bowl Turning".

Good Luck!

Cheers,

Ed :D

funkychicken
20th September 2008, 03:36 PM
In see I'm no longer the youngest forumite:p

You made a good choice coming to this forum. :2tsup:

Ad de Crom
20th September 2008, 06:04 PM
Hi Oak, welcome to the club.
14 years and turning, that's a promise for the future.
Anyway you are now on the right place, this is the best excisting forum.
There are a lot of lathes, take a search for manufactures of lathes on the internet.
I build my own lathe, also that's a possibility.
It's just a matter of how much monye you have to spend for a lathe, there are also good second hands lathe to buy, also a option to consider.

Have fun.

Ad :)

weisyboy
20th September 2008, 09:13 PM
good on ya mate. i started when i was 13 and never looked back.

i second the opinion on teh nova 1500 it is a briliant machine. and solid as anything. when used outboard i can do up to 1.3m diamiter but that is only light wod as im sure id break sompthing if i mounted a ironbark hunk on there.

you will find all the info you need and some you didnt on here.:2tsup:

OGYT
21st September 2008, 11:02 AM
Welcome, Youngun'!! Good to know another young one is getting into the turning vortex. It's the most fun an old man can have, so it should be good for a young man!! :)
You'll find a wealth of info on this forum... and some good blokes, too. If you get a chance, make a trip to one of these turn-a-thons. They announce'em on this forum. Wish I lived in Oz. :D

wheelinround
22nd September 2008, 09:06 AM
Hi Oak as FC says your now our youngest member and it gives life to this forum to know younger people are joining in turning.

Copping Tassie eh the Museum has a section with lots of old lathe and tools loved it when there it also has some turned works if I remember.

Living on the edge of those beaut forests you'll have a good source of timber.

Oh we like photo's of works Oak so go on show them off.

Ray

oak
22nd September 2008, 06:41 PM
hey if u can get me a shaft thats straight then i have my mums old lathe to use at home.

If u can then that would be graet and there are no woodturning clubs in the area

REGARDS OAK:roll:

Mrs Woodpecker
22nd September 2008, 07:33 PM
Welcome to a great club Oak. How I wish I had been able to start turning at your age.
I started at the wrong end of my life but I love it. You will get heaps of help from the forumites.
Good Luck,
Shirley

wheelinround
23rd September 2008, 09:17 AM
Oak the lathe you mentioned whats wrong with the shaft :rolleyes: not straight.

What make is it type etc how about some picks of the problem :2tsup:

you never know your luck in the wide world of wood.