PDA

View Full Version : Computer question

PsychoPig7
20th September 2008, 04:23 PM
Just a question re: what size/capacity computer is needed to operate a cnc using three nema 23 steppers 425oz?
I have an older Dell laptop with a parrallel port - specs are Intel premium 4 processor with 2gb ram.
This runs mach3 and d2nc (in virtual - without being hooked up to the steppers) but wondering if it would be strong enough in practice/
Cheers
noel:U

Ch4iS
20th September 2008, 04:33 PM
Just a question re: what size/capacity computer is needed to operate a cnc using three nema 23 steppers 425oz?
I have an older Dell laptop with a parrallel port - specs are Intel premium 4 processor with 2gb ram.
This runs mach3 and d2nc (in virtual - without being hooked up to the steppers) but wondering if it would be strong enough in practice/
Cheers
noel:U

Shouldnt be a problem I was running my motors with a P4 2.4, 512mb.

PsychoPig7
20th September 2008, 04:36 PM
Thanks Blue-ray - will try it and see.
have you had any experience with d2nc? - they have a special on a packege with mach3 for $189 all up.

Ch4iS
20th September 2008, 04:41 PM
Thanks Blue-ray - will try it and see.
have you had any experience with d2nc? - they have a special on a packege with mach3 for $189 all up.

na was just testing them out before I pulled it apart for painting, did the odd square test but it didnt have a problem running. Still building my first machine but I know that PC is more than adequate. Also a video card helps over onboard its said for mach 3 to use a non-onboard vid computer but some users here said it works fine.

crocky
20th September 2008, 06:11 PM
The dell will be pretty good, that what I use :) but a desktop!!

arose62
20th September 2008, 06:24 PM
Way out of my depth here, just starting to read about CNC, but I have seen a few posts where folks have had problems with using laptops rather than desktops.

I seems to be due to laptops using 3v for some output signals, rather than the 5v which desktops use (probably a power saving decision). There were discussions about using resistors to "pull the output high", but I just glossed over it.

I *think* I saw the posts on CNCZone, but not sure.
Hopefully I've recalled enough for you to google, and decide for yourself, OR, get advice from someone who is actually using a laptop.:D

Cheers,
Andrew

P.S. Looking at the "tenets" of this forum, maybe I shouldn't post this, as I don't actually "use CNC machines"

arose62
20th September 2008, 06:27 PM
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=53254

is what I had seen. Hope it's useful.

Cheers,
Andrew

rodm
20th September 2008, 06:47 PM
This is supposed to overcome the 3 volt problem with laptops - I have not tried it so only offering it as a suggestion..
http://cgi.ebay.com/CNC-PRINTER-PORT-PROTECTOR-for-STEPPER-MOTOR-DRIVERS_W0QQitemZ260287815738QQihZ016QQcategoryZ71394QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

An alternative is a smoothstepper which is a USB interface to the computer but more expensive.

Andrew as far as I know all views and opinions are welcome here. I like to see different or even similar views being posted and discussed as it opens the mind.

PsychoPig7
21st September 2008, 07:49 PM
Rod = have you had any experience with the SmoothStepper?
i have read some posts on cnczone which tend to suggest that it is still a bit 'buggy'.
Any input would be appreciated.
Cheers
Noel

rodm
21st September 2008, 07:56 PM
No I haven't but are soon to get one and try it out. Greolt is using one and it seems to be working OK.