PDA

View Full Version : Tower cranes

KevinB
21st September 2008, 12:06 AM
I'm aware that this isn't strictly a woodwork question on one hand but it sort of is on the other.

Many of my questions have been competently answered by woodworking members who obviously have some engineering knowledge and experience.

My question is about tower cranes on building sites. When the crane driver finishes for the day, is the crane left facing into or away from the prevailing wind? And will its attitude change when the wind changes? Is the wind a danger to a stationary crane anyway?

My niece needs to know and now I'm curious myself.

KevinB

WoodJunky
21st September 2008, 12:39 AM
did a bit of a google search and found the site below. There is a lot of information on it so you may find what you want

hope it is of some help.

http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/pdf/whs/towercrane_code2006.pdf

KevinB
21st September 2008, 01:30 AM
Hi Wood Junky,

I looked up that site and in it is this piece which I think answers my question.

"Where there is no risk of the tower crane boom contacting other structures, the
crane should be left to weathervane when unattended in accordance with the
crane manufacturer’s instructions."

That's amazing. I mean when you think about it there's that thumping great crane boom weighing goodness-knows-what (and even more when you think about moments of force) being allowed to move about.

Thanks for that; it's interesting.

Regards,

Kevin.

Hickory
21st September 2008, 11:08 AM
Not a crane note but a weather vane indicator. reciently Hurrican IKE came ashore and this shouldn't bother me as it is a ton of miles away from my door but the "Perfect storm" developed where a front pushed and a low pressure collided and all of a sudden here some 1000 miles away we have 75 mph winds and all that causes. 'For me it was a dispircement of my patio & yard furniture and my TV antenna went scurrying but managed to scrape a gient scratch on SWMBO's Miata hard top and then the windshield, trunk lid, and air spoiler. Uprooted a Purple Plum which I hated and the antenna was nominated to come down in cooler weather. when I set out to clean up the mess and the thousands of Walnuts that were shed from my mature tree, I sawed into the Purple plum and to my disappointment, it is not a clear grained wood but muttled with color changes and different grain structures, what shall I do with such ugly piece of wood? :( All that strange looking grain is going to show in all shapes and configurations when I turn it. Perhaps I can paint it to hide the color changes. got any suggestions? :C

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b136/hickoryknee/P1040203.jpg

Seems a waste to burn this wood but if I can't seem to get clean grain free turnings , what shall I do? sorry for the jagged cutting as I used a 18volt elec. chainsaw and it was the max it could handle so the slicing is rather sloppy. but with its uglyness what do you expect....? Come winter, I should try to capture some fine piece even though the graincolors will be a problem :2tsup:

Is my Tongue in my Cheek?

Sorry to capture the post but it seemed like a stormy start to my plight. `A good friend's son sets high above the world in one of those cranes.... Best I want to ride is a Sand Crane and stay 3-4 feet from the ground. On a calm day they look like they are about to topple.

WoodJunky
21st September 2008, 11:48 PM
I am pleased that it was of some use to you, :2tsup:

SAISAY
22nd September 2008, 05:34 PM
I know I am weird but I rather like that timber :D
Wolffie