PDA

View Full Version : Salt & Pepper Grinders

Calm
21st September 2008, 09:04 AM
This is a question of taste i guess but i am interested in others thoughts.

I intend to make some of these grinders for freinds (Yeah i know does he still have some:q) I will be making 4 sets -

Does each set need to be of the same wood? - ie can the salt be huon pine and the pepper blackwood. - light & dark timber - would Blackwood and Redgum, friut tree wood and redgum or Blackwood be a better choice. The reason i ask is the identification problem, i have seen threads here on branding, or the sets have a light and dark top thingy.

Do they work better if the timber is hard wood or is cypress, pine:oo::oo:, poplar or oregan be just as good?

What if the wood is a bit green? can the be turned and assembled when dry?

Will the same design work for all kits or are the better kits a different length?

BTW Jim i need some good quality kits, see you at the Melb WWW show.

Added poll to thread - thanks.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

weisyboy
21st September 2008, 09:37 AM
its all a matter of taste mate.

you can do sets out of teh same wood and have a direrent desihgn on them or ues the same desight and ues diferent timber

Doughboy
21st September 2008, 09:47 AM
Ummmm weisy OMG you having a shocker!

I like the thought of contrasting colours for S & P shakers butI would imagine the what ever you want to do would be fine.

Pete

Grumpy John
21st September 2008, 09:47 AM
'morning Dave
Check out this site for some information and inspiration. He has some good thoughts re selection of timber etc. http://www.peppermillsbydesign.com/index.html

Did you notice the prices he is charging :oo:?

Cheers
GJ

Mulgabill
21st September 2008, 09:52 AM
Calm! I have made both types, Salt & Pepper from the same wood and light and dark. Both types have sold readily, however, interestingly I noticed that purchasers nearly always picked up the same timber type first which were predominantly Red Gum & Black wood.:? I have also used the lighter Elm sap wood and the darker inner wood on a couple of sets.
The newer ceramic mechanisms have a P & S on the screw thingy on top (see Jim Carroll).

DJ’s Timber
21st September 2008, 10:01 AM
I'm in the same wood, design and mark the top boat :2tsup:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36879&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1189981057

Calm
21st September 2008, 11:06 AM
Thanks so far, I have added a poll to get an idea of results. Yes cliff i did the rat's ring option:D:D

Cliff Rogers
21st September 2008, 11:36 AM
:2tsup:

I've made matching ones & individual ones, the tall matching ones did look good.

Fireguard
21st September 2008, 06:47 PM
I've just decided to have a go at a couple of Salt and Pepper Mills, I havn't turned them yet but I've planning on a light and a darker wood but both "Hopefully" turned to the same design

dai sensei
22nd September 2008, 05:14 PM
Hmm many choices. The sets I have done are either light and dark set, or same timber but with S & P markings.

Ruddy
23rd September 2008, 12:17 AM
Can someone please tell me what is a Rat's Ring? I think I must have been hiding under a rock all these years. I have made a few peppermills over the years and a Rat's Ring is new to me......now I have heard of a Rat with a Gold Tooth.:U
Ruddy

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd September 2008, 02:01 AM
:think:

None of the above. I like enough similarities between the pair that it's obviously a matched pair to any casual observer, but enough differences to distinguish between which is salt and which is pepper.

I hate sprinkling my celery with freshly ground pepper! :doh:

ie. If I use different timbers, I keep the design the same. If I have minor variations between the designs I'll use the same timber.

As to your other questions, I reckon hardwoods are best for two reasons. many kits use small screws to hold the lower end of the mechanism in place. These screws have minimal "bite" and I've had a couple break out of softwoods.

Slightly green wood? Depends on how green. Because the "lid" rotates on the bottom, both want to be truly round. If you turn green and either warps during further drying, well it won't be a "nice" grinder to use.

Finally, AFAIK all the kits come in varieties of lengths. The basic type that has a knob on the cap for refilling is more or less restricted in height by the length of the mechanism shaft, but the other type (eg. Crushgrinds) allow the grinder height to be waaaay longer than the mech. shaft.

Grumpy John
23rd September 2008, 07:25 AM
Can someone please tell me what is a Rat's Ring? I think I must have been hiding under a rock all these years. I have made a few peppermills over the years and a Rat's Ring is new to me......now I have heard of a Rat with a Gold Tooth.:U
Ruddy

Rats backside, rats a$%e, doesn't matter, don't care.

Calm
23rd September 2008, 07:43 AM
Thanks everyoone. Skew that was informative on the screws i hadnt thought of that. i ordered 4 sets from Jim yesterday and will have a go at the weekend.

Ruddy i see the grin at the end of your question so i will just say Cliff doesnt participate in a poll without that option.

I also ordered some pen kits i thought would be a great gift for for the upcoming turnfest:D:D:D

Cheers all I am off to Adelaide today and then again Friday night so i guess it will be Sunday before i get to the shed again unless i get thursday - friday off.

Ooroo

Cliff Rogers
23rd September 2008, 09:58 AM
Can someone please tell me what is a Rat's Ring? ....

Rats backside, rats a$%e, doesn't matter, don't care.

...Cliff doesnt participate in a poll without that option.....

It is the "I don't care" option.
It started a long time ago when people would ask for a "Don't Care" option in a poll. Gumby put a a poll about something & he called the last option "I don't give a rat's ring"
The next time he posted a poll he didn't include it & I said "Where's the Rat's Ring option?" & it became a bit of a joke.

PS. Not everybody thinks it is funny :rolleyes: so the joke has kinda lingered longer for that reason. :D

Ruddy
23rd September 2008, 12:42 PM
:- D'oh.......Thanks Cliff.......I should have known.
Sixty seven and still learning....

Ruddy