PDA

View Full Version : Veranda Posts

Kevin2003
25th March 2004, 12:15 AM
Hi all,

A relative of mine is building a new house. At the rear of the building is going to be a veranda with turned posts. He has been given the option of either Oregon or treated pine posts. Both cost around the same.

He asked me which I would use and I recommended the Oregon but the chap at the timber yard/builders yard suggested the treated pine.

I know that Oregon has a tendency to split and would need to be painted before installation but I would be very interested to know which one other’s would opt for.

Any feedback would be much appreciated and will be passed on to my relative.

Cheers,
Kevin

bitingmidge
25th March 2004, 12:56 AM
There is no contest here, take the treated pine!

Oregon is like ice-cream to termites and also has a very poor durability rating. is suitable for interior use only, and has been the subject of a number of warnings by the Queensland Building Services Authority.

The following clip was taken from the Timber Research and Development Advisory Council (TRADAC) (http://www.tradac.com.au) website and probably doesn't give you a direct answer, but at least there are a couple of leads for more information. The reference to your local timber supplier is interesting!

Hope this helps,

P

Q1. What timber do I use to build a deck or pergola?

A. The selection of timber to be used for an outdoor situation such as a deck or pergola, you must take into consideration the exposure to the natural elements. Therefore, selection of species that are durable for the application as well as being easy to work with, should be the basis of your criteria. For example;

Posts in ground should be of a Durability Class 1 species or preservative treated softwood to Hazard level 5 (H5)

Above ground posts should be of a Durability Class 2 or preservative treated softwood to a H3 level.

Other structural elements such as decking materials, joists etc. should be of a Durability Class 1 or 2, or preseravtive treated softwood to H3.

If you are selecting hardwood for decking purposes it is recommended that it be a seasonsed (usually kiln-dried) product of a durability Class 1 - 2.

For more information download technical data sheet on Decks

* For information on Durability Classes and Hazard Levels ask your local timber supplier.

ndru
25th March 2004, 09:57 AM
Second BitingMidge's comments. I once took down a 10-15 yr old pergola made of oregon. Where the termites hadn't got to it the water damage had rotted it right through. It was painted reasonably well by the previous owner.

In my 80yr old house we have fascias and barge boards made of oregon. Some are standing up OK but others are showing some serious water damage despite having a reasonable coat of paint on them.

Personally, I think ordinary oregon/douglas fir/irish pine is only good for interior applications.

Justin
25th March 2004, 06:15 PM
I reckon if you're intending to finish it in coloured paint you'd be mad not to use treated pine. If you're looking at a clear or stained finish, maybe pressure treated hardwood or cypress ?

Cheers,

Justin.

RETIRED
25th March 2004, 10:26 PM
Haven't turned oregon VP's for 20years because of quality.

Use the clear treated pine that is laminated not green.

They are made for this purpose. Turn well, paint well and last.

Our house has 42 of them and they have been there 11 yrs with no probs but they need a repaint now.

seriph1
25th March 2004, 10:41 PM
If your relo is in Melbourne then you might want to take a trip up Plateau Rd Reservoir, to R.Cornall and Son (NOT Cornalls the cabinet hardware people in Heidelberg) and choose the style and size you want direct from the makers.

They have a large range of verandah posts (and all other repro timberwork) in Laminated Treated Pine that may be ideal for his application - As others have said, I feel you too, should forget Oregon..... it just can't cut it outside these days.

Kevin2003
26th March 2004, 11:19 AM
Thanks all,

Looks like treated pine is the way to go. I will pass this on and also get him to check out R.Cornall and Son.

Didn’t even think about termites…… stupid pomme!

Cheers,
Kevin