PDA

View Full Version : So near yet so far...

Ashes
21st September 2008, 06:42 PM
Was almost finished turning a Mallee root bowl. Very happy with the form and finish inside and out. Shed caked in red dust and tool sharpening skills improved!!

Beautiful deep red color..lots of figure..lots of natural features....POW!!!!

Can't even find some of the pieces and a nice hole in the plaster as a reminder why wearing a full face shield is a good idea. As I was turning the foot and to the side of it, I didn't get hit. I'm sure the Triton mask would have done it's job though.

Not really sure why it happened as I was being real careful on the foot. I suspect one of the natural features/cracks let go when reverse chucked..bugger!!:o:~

Oh well, time to start thinking about the next project:)

Grumpy John
21st September 2008, 06:47 PM
I feel for you Ashes. I've turned a few pieces of mallee root and my butt cheeks are always firmly clenched throughout. Shame you lost the piece as there can be some spectacular figuring in mallee root. You sure there's no chance to salvage any of it.

Cheers
GJ

Ashes
21st September 2008, 06:56 PM
Zero chance of salvaging. I'm going to use the largest piece to see how some Wipe on Poly comes up on it as I haven't used it before.

Took ages to turn it, milliseconds to destroy it:~

GC
21st September 2008, 08:15 PM
Have done that also, mine was a burl and speed related!

Split in two, with halfgoing each way in the shed.

GC

bowl-basher
21st September 2008, 08:44 PM
Is'nt that one of the thrills of wood turning :aargh:mine was a large camphor laurel bowl with a spectacluar knot the resulting hole in the fibro sheet serve as a permant reminder
Bowl basher

woodwork wally
21st September 2008, 10:20 PM
Hey john you are supposed to relax Just make sure there is carpet over the floor or you damage the ring when it tries to bite lumps outa the concrete floor . But isnt it funny we nwever have a camera handy or dont think to use it when these things happen Brian How fast were you turning that berl ? may have been 2 Cheers for noww WW.Wal

joe greiner
21st September 2008, 11:10 PM
Glad you weren't injured, Ashes. It's always good to stand out of the "line of fire." I try to keep some of my fubars nearby as a reminder of what not to do.

Joe

Ashes
21st September 2008, 11:25 PM
It was going pretty fast. Didn't have a problem with it in the spigot but I'm guessing I should have slowed it down on the jaws.

Definately a case of the more you turn the more you learn:-

Ed Reiss
22nd September 2008, 12:08 PM
Bummer!

Don't despair though....happens to the best of us.

Just glad you didn't get hurt.

Cheers,

Ed :D