PDA

View Full Version : away from home

bowl-basher
21st September 2008, 09:02 PM
:C Hi All I am sitting in a hotel in a little town in Germany called Hachenburg and reading the forum threads (almost as good as home) I have a few days next week in england around the Glouster area an was wondering if there are any fourmites or groups in that area ??? will be there from the 30th to the 8th october
look forward to hearing from you
Bowl Basher

wheelinround
22nd September 2008, 09:22 AM
Try doing search for local clubs to where your going

also try the UK forum web site www.ukworkshop.co.uk - UKW

dai sensei
22nd September 2008, 05:19 PM
Cool this logging on from abroad, I am currently in Fiji at my hotel's internet cafe.

Just spent the afternoon looking at a timber mill and getting a few small pieces to bring home :B, my case only had 4kg spare, may have to wear a few pairs of jeans and carry the extra shoes :U

Grumpy John
22nd September 2008, 05:36 PM
Just spent the afternoon looking at a timber mill and getting a few small pieces to bring home

Let us know how you get on getting through quarantine :D.

dai sensei
22nd September 2008, 05:44 PM
The pieces I got are dry and cut into 3"x3"x16", no bark, sap or bug holes and now sealed with PVA, so should be fine.

joe greiner
22nd September 2008, 10:59 PM
... may have to wear a few pairs of jeans and carry the extra shoes :U

That's a stroke of genius. Might be warm for a while, but better than losing the good bits. Another trick I've heard about, but not tried, is to carry old underwear outbound; then bin 'em before returning vs washing on the road or occupying return luggage.:D

Joe

Grumpy John
22nd September 2008, 11:11 PM
Another trick I've heard about, but not tried, is to carry old underwear outbound; then bin 'em before returning vs washing on the road or occupying return luggage.:D

Joe

Or just go commando:D

joe greiner
23rd September 2008, 12:15 AM
Or just go commando:D

But then you wouldn't have extra space in the luggage.:D

Joe

bowl-basher
23rd September 2008, 02:16 AM
brought back a couple of carvings fro fiji a few years back and had no trouble with customs just made sure i was a good boy and declared them
I have been out and about today with one of my suppliers and we have just driven back from a town called koblenz through some of the best timber I have ever seen just the bits on the side of the road is enugh to make a grown wood turner cry:C:C
but I have to far to go to stuff the suit case. might be tempted in England if i can find anything worth bringing home
Bowl-Basher

artme
23rd September 2008, 03:01 AM
Sitting in Estonia with dozens of ideas buzzing around in my head.
Will catch up with Killerbeast in a fortnight or so.
Joe has kindly offered me help to meet some woodworkers when I get to Miami.
Wrote to Claude but no reply yet.

Lööking forward to all of this.:U:U:U

dai sensei
23rd September 2008, 02:15 PM
When I went to the timber yard they didn't have any Rain Tree 3" thick, which is what I wanted. I looked around and they had some nice looking dark stuff they called Vesi in pepper grinder size, so that is what I got. They told me it was commonly used for carving and Cava bowls, so I thought great, good colour and food safe. The merchant also pulled out a book with its botanical name so I could look it up - Intsia Bijuga

Just looked it up, bl__dy Kwila :doh::~. I've got heaps at home, left-over from when I made my bed. Oh well, hopefully this stuff has some interesting grain, it certainly has mixed end and long grain on the sides.

rsser
24th September 2008, 04:07 PM
Well I'm off to the glaciers of Unzud ...

the only carbon likely to be found in the wild there is the bodies of frozen mountaineers.

Could make a macabre turning blank.

Manuka Jock
24th September 2008, 11:30 PM
Unzud ? Is that anything like Enzed

rsser
25th September 2008, 07:21 AM
Yip.

Manuka Jock
25th September 2008, 10:46 AM
ah , musta been your accent eh rsser. :D

The Glaciers and the whole of South Westland are beautiful places to be in .
I was working over in Fox , and then Franz for a few months.
The best view out the smoko shed window I have ever had :)

Just returned to Christchurch the week before last .
Still looking tor a suitable place , with workshop .
Ah well , looking thru you guys shed windows keeps me going :U

Cheers ,
Jock

Ed Reiss
25th September 2008, 12:07 PM
With all these exotic places you guys are at or are going to, I've decided to take a trip across the river to Philly in search of trees...didn't want to feel left out!

Will be on the lookout for the elusive virgin maple (one that hasn't been hacked to bits by tree trimmers clearing electric lines). The virgin maple more often than not has a hundred or so wanted posters plastered on it and usually grows in the not so best neighborhoods...so it's pretty much a matter of slash and run before the cops get you!:o

Artme...If your in Estonia, maybe you can stop next door to Riga, Latvia to say Hi.....my old stompping grounds when I was just knee high:U

Cheers,

Ed :D

artme
25th September 2008, 05:17 PM
[quote=Ed Reiss;813170Artme...If your in Estonia, maybe you can stop next door to Riga, Latvia to say Hi.....my old stompping grounds when I was just knee high:U

Cheers,

Ed :D[/quote]

Sorry Ed, Couldn't make it this time. Estonia is a beautiful place and I loved the capital, Tallinn. We stayed with our exchange student and his familyfor 5 days. Wonderful people.
Estonian Women are Gogeous. Even the ugly ones are pretty. Very,very few fat people there!!

In Stockholm at the moment where the weather is just perfect. Beautiful city but bloody expensive. Off to Norway tomorrow where I'm told it is alot more expensivestill. Thank goodness that part has been paid in advance.

bowl-basher
26th September 2008, 01:51 AM
Know what you mean Ed Germany ain't cheap but I hear whwer you are its worse I hope to catch up wit Ad De in holland But I am having trouble nailing down my appointments It is a $#@@@ shame when work gets in the way of all the good things
:doh: Just had a thought we should rename this thread " the traveling woodberries":;
regards to all
Bowl basher

artme
30th September 2008, 10:37 PM
Shoild be able to ring the dreaded Killerbeast -aka, Rasmus- tomorrow night when I get to Copenhagen. Will try to get in touch with Ad also. SWMBO would like to spend a day in the Netherlands so we'll see what happens.

rsser
3rd October 2008, 05:59 AM
ah , musta been your accent eh rsser. :D

The Glaciers and the whole of South Westland are beautiful places to be in .
I was working over in Fox , and then Franz for a few months.
The best view out the smoko shed window I have ever had :)

Just returned to Christchurch the week before last .
Still looking tor a suitable place , with workshop .
Ah well , looking thru you guys shed windows keeps me going :U

Cheers ,
Jock

Sure is spekky!

Had a day skiing the Tasman Glacier, 4 days touring in Two Thumb range and now off to Cardrona for turning the easy way. Then up to Franz.

Good luck with workshop hunting MJ.

Manuka Jock
3rd October 2008, 03:16 PM
Sure is spekky!

Had a day skiing the Tasman Glacier, 4 days touring in Two Thumb range and now off to Cardrona for turning the easy way. Then up to Franz.

Good luck with workshop hunting MJ.

Thanks rsser ,

How about the weather , has it turned on a good show for you ?

How that I'm back in Chch I notice the wind , even the lightest breeze.
Other that in a storm , both Fox and Franz were the stillest places I have ever worked .
And that is a bonus in the building game .

rsser
3rd October 2008, 05:10 PM
It's been a mixed bag MJ.

We were sposed to have 5 days in a hut on the Tasman Glacier but the forecast only promised one, maybe two fine days, and no guarantee of flying out when we had to. So we flew in, skinned up to Ledenfeld (sp?) Saddle, and skied back down the glacier. Just the one day was gobsmacking.

Then only half a day's rain in Two Thumb Range.

Now down at Wanaka but the wind forecast for Cardrona has been upgraded to gale force for tomorrow morning, darnit.

My guide in the mountains reckons it turns unstable around Sept 20; earlier, in the winter, is sposed to be a better proposition.

Anyway, I'll go up to Franz Josef on Sunday which is forecast as fine. Then loop around via Arthur's Pass to C/church to fly out Tuesday.

Yeah, still is good for ski touring too. Kick and glide into a headwind usually ends up as plod, plod, plod.

bowl-basher
4th October 2008, 01:10 AM
Hey Ed
I had a long talk to Ad on the phone but I just couldnt get the free time to see him if you catch up give him my best regards
Visited a shop here in the cotswolods by a Dennis French this guy has some of the most fantastic spalted beech the shop is all his own work and rather good
if you get the chance I strongly recomend a look
Regards to all
Bowl Basher