PDA

View Full Version : Next project

Claw Hama
21st September 2008, 09:26 PM
Lamp is almost finished, and on to the next one still on the same cafe/restaurant. Two Aust Red Cedar benches with natural edges stained to match other furnishings etc Bit of a shame to stain this Cedar but it has to match. This Cedar is very light "vanilla swirl" with purple, yellow, and choc swirls, very nice.

NCArcher
21st September 2008, 10:15 PM
Can you name the Cafe Restaurant Claw? Is it local?

Claw Hama
21st September 2008, 11:15 PM
Sweet Poison opening in the next week or so at Marketown shoppong centre. The owners used to have Euro Patiserie and then Union at The Junction.

NCArcher
21st September 2008, 11:25 PM
Thanks, I'll check it out next time i'm there.

ciscokid
21st September 2008, 11:46 PM
Beautiful slabs! :2tsup: I can't wait to see them when they are done.

Claw Hama
24th September 2008, 12:23 AM
Update, Because Cedar is so soft and these benches are going into a commercial environment I have put two good size tenons right through the slab. The legs will be bolted to the floor once installed in the restaurant mainly due to the narrow unstable width of this bench.

Claw Hama
5th October 2008, 11:04 PM
Both benchs have been completed now. Don't have photos of the big one completed, I will take some on location in the restaurant. Couple of shots of the small one finished in the workshop and a couple of the large one before staining with black japan, estapol and polishing. The large one is 2500 long, 1050 high and about 800 wide on the fat end. The small one is 2500 long 740 high and about 500 wide. They both have a black japan stain over the rather blonde Red Cedar then 5 sprayed coats of satin estapol and polished with 0000 steelwool and oil to give a realy smooth low lustre finish.

ss_11000
6th October 2008, 02:17 AM
That small bench looks really nice :2tsup:. and the big one looks like it will be just as good:cool:

Claw Hama
6th October 2008, 07:48 AM
Thanks Stirlo, they have both come out well which is always a releaf when they are commissions with time constraints.

mattym83
6th October 2008, 09:47 PM
what oil did you use for polishing?

Claw Hama
6th October 2008, 11:16 PM
Hi Matt, on these I used SIFA furniture oil. I have also used Turps, Danish oil etc it is just a lubricant for the steelwool or wet & dry. Turps is naturaly a lot thinner and alows a little more cutting action.
While doing these I was thinking SIFA oil with a little turps might be the go.