PDA

View Full Version : Cliff has 4 lathes

jefferson
21st September 2008, 09:27 PM
A couple of threads back, Cliff mentioned that he had four lathes.

Now, as a new turner, I am thinking that I might be missing out. Also, as a tool addict, I'm thinking there might be some merit in such a collection.

But 4?

I've got a big one, and a small one. In fact, the Delta midi is on loan and I haven't missed it one bit. Yep, talk me into some more chisels and chucks, but not another lathe methinks.

Again, am I missing something?

Or is Cliff just collecting? If so, I am smiling a little.

of course has three I think, one a monster. But not four.

Of course, I have my eyes on the smallest Vicmarc for.... maybe some pens. So guys, please talk me into it. Just don't tell the wife just yet.

Jeff

timberbits
21st September 2008, 09:37 PM
Might I guess before Cliff responds.

1. he got for Christmas from either the wife or kids, and its a useless GMC.
2. he got from a garage sale and is awaiting restoration.
3. he got given from a friend moving interstate and the motor is not working.
4th one he uses every day. The other 3 a just using up space in the garage.

Well maybe not. I know its the case for me with cordless drills.

1st one is a useless cordelss GMC drill which holds enough charge for 2 screws, given to me by my wife for Christmas.
2nd one is an old makita with a damaged chuck, looking for another similar drill to cannibalize for the chuck.
3rd one is a drill from my brother. Motor sparks like crazy I think it need a new connector.
4th and 5th ones are the 2 makita that I use everyday. One with a countersink attachment the other with screwdriver attachment.

Nothing wrong with having too much machinery if you have the space.

Harry72
21st September 2008, 10:08 PM
1. Normal lathe
2. Midi lathe
3. bowl lathe(4' swing)
4. The Vicmarc

Am I close Cliffy?

funkychicken
21st September 2008, 10:15 PM
Hmm I can think of a use for 4 lathes :think: :D

Calm
21st September 2008, 10:19 PM
1. Normal lathe
2. Midi lathe
3. Bowl lathe(4' swing)
4. The vicmarc you mean this is not a normal lathe:oo::oo::oo::?:?

am i close cliffy?
:d:d

Harry72
21st September 2008, 10:28 PM
Yep... Vic=http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:Mj9CngTvufvMtM:http://images.teamsugar.com/files/users/7/71733/29_2007/rollsroyce.jpg

BobL
21st September 2008, 10:39 PM
I can think of several uses for several or more of exact or similar lathes. Call me lazy but I dislike changing chucks or anything on lathes especially when one has to make a set or several of the same item. Turning heaven for me would be to set up a set of lathes which would enable me to complete a job that didn't require anything to be moved or changed on either the head or tailstock. The other thing is I always have several turning projects on the go and am forever taking something off, changing the chuck etc. It would be nice to just leave them in a lather until they are finished.

Cliff Rogers
21st September 2008, 10:54 PM
H was close.

Jet Mini (now only goes away to turning weekend at Proserpine once a year)
I'd use it more if it was variable speed.

Vicmarc VL300 EVS SB (I use this one the most)

Monster bowl with a 4' swing, I took it to pieces to move it Saturday.
It is going to get a new motor, a WEG 3Hp EVS set up that I picked up Friday arvo. :2tsup:

The last one is actually a combination tool, a ShopSmith Mk V.
Although it is the longest bed lathe that I own, I haven't used it as a lathe for almost 10 years now, it is set up as a saw bench.

At one stage I had 5 lathes, I sold 2 of them when I bought the Jet Mini.

NCArcher
21st September 2008, 11:29 PM
You can never have too many tools.
He who dies with the most tools, wins. :D

RETIRED
21st September 2008, 11:56 PM
of course has three I think, one a monster. But not four. Actually Jeff I have 8. There some out the back that you didn't see.

jefferson
22nd September 2008, 12:29 AM
Eight lathes, ? My apologies.

But why didn't you show me them all when I was down at Tooradin? Perhaps - at least I am suspecting - you are keeping some secrets from me (and possibly others).

Yes, I know you showed me some great turning secrets when I last visited. So many that I forgot most. But the one I really like is grinding the parting tool so it cuts like a razor, so clean on end grain. Oops, forgot the pies at the bakery, fantastic. Oops, plus the great steaks on your bbq.

But again, I ask the question, how many lathes do you need? I'm almost ready to re-configure my shed (air filter installed in the ceiling today, so very close to finality) and must decide soon on spacing etc.

I must have:

- a close and handy set-up for my grinders
- a similar handy tool rack
- dust extraction!

But that little Vicmarc is calling me.....

But more chucks, more power points....

Please help me and my wallet to say NO.

As for you Cliff, I think I don't want to meet you. You would only turn me into an out-and-out turning junky with more tools and equipment (and hopefully skill) than most can bear.

Seriously, I do like to know what everyone has got or not. Walking into someone's shed to me is heaven. Just seeing how things are set up, what's where etc.

Another very close inspection on 's shed coming up, maybe via DJs if we can connect. And then I get to see these O(r)land tools that Ern has made up.

Interesting times ahead.

Jeff

ubeaut
22nd September 2008, 12:33 AM
So what's the big problem here. I had 16 lathes at one stage years ago. :oo: Got rid of most of them 12 odd years ago when we closed down our school of woodcrafts. Still have 2 at factory, 2 treadlies on loan to a tool museums, 1 on loan, just gave my old 6ft Conover to a friend and also have a little one that belongs with an almost antique Hobbies Ltd saw, buzzer, lathe, combo from the late 40's, early 50's.

The only one I use is a short bed Nova with one of Carrolls variable speed motors, which is used for demo's at Working With Wood Shows etc.

Cheers - Neil :rolleyes:

Ed Reiss
22nd September 2008, 06:44 AM
8 lathes? 16 lathes??

OK...you guys are in serious need of some sessions at TEBA (Turning Equipment Buyers Anonymous):doh:....serious, serious,serious!!!!!

:lmfao:

Cheers,

Ed :D

ubeaut
22nd September 2008, 08:00 AM
What's even worse. I had to borrow 6 for a turning weekend once. Had 21 lathes all working at once. :o Now that was serious, serious, serious,serious!!!!! :2tsup:

Was at a Downunder Turnaround, weekend before last and there were 64 lathes on a basketball court all turning at once. Again serious, serious,serious!!!!!

Cheers :U

Cliff Rogers
22nd September 2008, 08:45 AM
Should we start counting chucks next? :D

Then we'll go on to talk about the size of the electric mains connection to the shed. :p

Then the timber collections. :doh:

Hickory
22nd September 2008, 09:00 AM
Doesn't everyone? :2tsup: I've got a small Spindle Lathe, A bigger spindle lathe a Bowl lathe and a Mini lathe. (none of which is of great quality) :(( Gee I wish I had another one. :oo: or a bigger one that is more versitle and eliminate a couple of these guys.

Jim Carroll
22nd September 2008, 09:28 AM
Should we start counting chucks next? :D

:doh:

Cliff you got me thinking , just had a count and there is 15 on the shelfs. Hate changing jaws and with 2 different threads to worry about hate changing inserts.

only got 3 lathes but there is another one on the wish list. Hope to have for christmas I think santa knows I have been a very good boy.

Hickory
22nd September 2008, 09:57 AM
Cliff you got me thinking , just had a count and there is 15 on the shelfs. Hate changing jaws and with 2 different threads to worry about hate changing inserts.

only got 3 lathes but there is another one on the wish list. Hope to have for christmas I think santa knows I have been a very good boy.

Whoa!! 15 chucks, Lets clearify... some call a faceplate a chuck, are you. If that is so then I have about a dozen or so depending on if you count the ones I made. But I am well too cheap to spend the kind of money it takes to collect that many moveable jaw chucks. Well lets see :rolleyes: There are two mini chucks (3 jaw) 4 jaw independant, 4 jaw talon, 3 jaw (converted machinists chuck) Home made bowl chuck , Oh my Gawd :doh: If I look about I see there are a considerable collection. But Chisels and knives, EEK! :o I think last count was near 45 but I did give a few away a while back, to a fresh new turner to learn using. Seems every time I go to a garage sale , I see lathe tools, no lathe just tools....
Is it not a rule somewhere that we amass as much as we can :; Sort of like fishing rods, I once built a fine rod rack and could display all my favorites and then SWMBO saw the array on the garage wall and started in on my having way more than I can fish with at once., so I built a rod rack to fit inunder the cover of my truck so half are out of sight, Of course that doesn't include the ones in the boat or down on the Houseboat. And then the tackle box or should I say, Boxes... OK, but the other day I ran out of hooks and had to borrow. :B Is it no wonder I have not the time to satisfy all my needs? Just inventory the necessary tools and equipment is a full time task. And reading all the catalogs, earmarking the pages and the magazines and those projects, and the kids requests.

Two Bandsaws, two scroll saws, two table saws, two joiners (Only one planer) hand tools and a host of gadgits and "Stuff" Miter saw as well as RAS plus the number of sanders and circular saws (3) drill motors 5 battery and 6 wired.... jig saws and recipicating saws... the list goes on and on. Don't even start with the clamps and Chisels and saws and other handtools. Yet I never have the right tool and every job requires another (Oops I forgot the routers mini small larger plunge trimmer and "General purpose" and bits..... :U I got it :2tsup: I need more as every project identifies yet, another addition to the family. Like Pocket knives, how can you ever have enough.

timberbits
22nd September 2008, 10:02 AM

15 Chucks! Should I just give up turning before I get addicted? I got 2 at the moment and noticed how much lighter my wallet is.

ubeaut
22nd September 2008, 10:02 AM
Bugger, forgot the old flat belt drive lathe that turned the plinth for the first Melbourne Cup in 1830 head and tail-stock, etc at factory needs new be.

Chucks, used to be 2 face-plates, 2 screw chucks, 1 cup chuck and a heap of customwood for each of the 16 lathes plus 16 scroll and a number of other weird and wonderful 2, 3 & 4 jaw chucks, multi chucks and........Only got about 12 left.

Turning Tools.... Lost count years ago have given away or sold well over 300 during the last 10 years. Probably have about 60 or so left.

No idea why I still have all this haven't used most of it for ever. I guess it's just in case.

Pathetic isn't it. :no: :B

RETIRED
22nd September 2008, 10:20 AM
You do realise that we are really really starting to depress Jeff?:cool:

If I knew then what I know now, I would have my big lathe and have it hydraulically driven as was intended, a Wadkin with a 10" bed for verandah posts and table legs, a Technatool, Wadkin or Woodfast 30" bed for chair legs and a DVR for the odd face plate work.

BUT: remember I do this for a living as does Jim. If I was doing it for a hobby, you have enough Jeff.:D

Cliff Rogers
22nd September 2008, 10:41 AM
I also hate changing jaws, I have at least 10 scroll chucks, (7 of them can be swapped between lathes), probly 7 or 8 face plates including a vacuum face plate, a couple of cup chucks & I have been collecting the parts to build more vacuum chucks.

Now that I have shark jaws in a couple of sizes for a couple of my chuck brands & a big set (485mm) of bowl jaws, I hardly ever use my face plates & I don't use the cup chucks at all any more.

It is still a hobby for me at this stage, all of the associated bits & pieces could almost be called a collection except that they are not behind glass in mint condition, they are in the shed where I can use them.

BobL
22nd September 2008, 01:14 PM
Just about anything done by WW lathe user/collectors can be equally matched or bettered by other tool/machine collectors, eg hand plane user/collectors, or even chainsaw collectors!

Jim Carroll
22nd September 2008, 01:39 PM
nup all 15 chucks, have not counted faceplates or faceplate rings.

tea lady
22nd September 2008, 01:53 PM
Can this thread please be put in the orange room so my hubby can't read it?:doh: Other wise he'll make me stop right now.:C:D

chrisb691
22nd September 2008, 01:57 PM
Where's the 'rat's ring' option. :D

Cliff Rogers
22nd September 2008, 02:55 PM
Do you collect them? :unsure:

I guess it would be better/cheaper/safer that collecting wives. :rolleyes:

Gra
22nd September 2008, 03:17 PM

See ISDA (http://www.isda.org/)

funkychicken
22nd September 2008, 03:21 PM
Hmm..I have one lathe and one chuck.....

ubeaut
22nd September 2008, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by chrisb691 http://mt0.images.woodworkforums.com/woodworkforums/images/button2/viewpost.gif (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=811467#post811467)
Where's the 'rat's ring' option.
I have a number of the late Vin Smith's, fantastic, ring gouges, does that count?

One was actually made specially for me by Vin as a present. It's the only one in the world. Works better than an others end grain tool I've ever come across.

Cheers :U

DavidG
22nd September 2008, 03:42 PM
Hmm..I have one lathe and one chuck.....
Lets not start on chuck / jaw counts.:U

rsser
22nd September 2008, 06:10 PM
What about how many hollowing tools you have?

heh heh

Jim Carroll
22nd September 2008, 06:31 PM
What about how many hollowing tools you have?

heh heh

Do we really have to go there.

rsser
22nd September 2008, 06:45 PM
Nah.

Tho the thread looks like a p*ssing contest, so I wanna show what I can do ;-}

Calm
22nd September 2008, 07:12 PM
Nah.

When you own a "STUBBY" :fingerscrossed::frustrated:why would you need numbers?? that beats 5 on its own.:2tsup::2tsup::D

Cheers

bigfish
22nd September 2008, 07:34 PM
OK, guys.

I reckon I've got the biggest collection of tools STILL IN THEIR BOXES!

One of these days I'll get round to them, but for now I'm having too much fun with my new lathe - M305 (thanks, JIM!)

Cheers,
Alan

tea lady
22nd September 2008, 07:43 PM
Do you collect them? :unsure:

I guess it would be better/cheaper/safer that collecting wives. :rolleyes:
or lathes.:D

Cliff Rogers
22nd September 2008, 09:58 PM
Nah.

Yup, I think we may be p*ss'n poor old jefferson off. :-

Now, those hollowing tools, are we counting just the bought ones or the home made ones as well? :D :D :D

Toasty
22nd September 2008, 11:30 PM
This thread is quite helpful actually.

I guess I technically have two lathes if I count my original Durdon that is out at the in-laws place since I got the DVR. Despite the DVR I now don't feel so bad lusting after a decent midi lathe and keeping a spot free in my distant future for a VL300 or a Stubby.

Reading about Jim I now no longer feel guilt getting my second scroll chuck specifically for pen turning because I am too lazy to change the jaws. I also no longer feel bad lusting after a big VM chuck down the track, it would be permantly fitted with some big jaws for when I have taken a brave pill.

artme
23rd September 2008, 03:11 AM
OK Cliff, Ill bite on the timbers.
120 plus species.
Would be more if I can figure a way to get them in from Europe, Bazil and the States.:D:D:D

Calm
23rd September 2008, 07:49 AM
You can never have too many tools.
He who dies with the most tools, wins. :D

I guess with only one lathe 2 chucks (4 sets of jaws) , only 2 superflute gouges, 2 others, 2 skew chisels, one bowlsaver/corer and no hollowing tools i will never win.

Any chance i might get the wooden spoon prize?:D:D:D

Cheers

Honorary Bloke
23rd September 2008, 08:34 AM

Cheers

Yeah, but you'll have to turn it yerself. :p

Cliff Rogers
23rd September 2008, 10:00 AM
OK Cliff, Ill bite on the timbers.
120 plus species.
Would be more if I can figure a way to get them in from Europe, Bazil and the States.:D:D:D

I doubt that I have that many differnt species, it is more the 'geography' of my hoard that is the notable point.
I have some in a shed in Cairns, some in a shed in Tully, some in 2 sheds here & now I have a container that I have started filling as well. :-

Harry72
23rd September 2008, 03:02 PM
I'll have a nice little( :D ) shed soon too fill with timber as well, the shed I have now is choked up something cruel!

Stuart
23rd September 2008, 03:09 PM
So if you mounted one lathe in the next, with a short one mounted at 90 degrees, would that make an instant sphere?

dhurrang
23rd September 2008, 03:50 PM
I doubt that I have that many differnt species, it is more the 'geography' of my hoard that is the notable point.
I have some in a shed in Cairns, some in a shed in Tully, some in 2 sheds here & now I have a container that I have started filling as well. :-

hehehehe ya funny bugga. Is the Tully shed watertight? Wettest town in Australia I believe. Are you trying to introduce spalting? Does having diverse storage locations provide any benefits?

ps. great thread. giggled all the way through. 1 lathe n 1 chuck for me. I may compete in the p*ssing contest if we go farm machinery or holdens.

jefferson
23rd September 2008, 04:49 PM
All this talk about hordes of timber has got me thinking.

For all those "choked" up with supplies, I am happy to store some for you now that my shed has been extended. (It's now 25m by 9m and filling fast. Believe me, it's some shed).

What say I charge an annual rental for storage of say 10% by volume. Increase that to 20% if the timber is ordinary. Must be good turning timber too! I've already got 2 cubes of redgum, mostly boards up to 200 x 45mm, but am short on material for the odd platter or bowl.

And yes, I will travel to collect! To Vic/ACT and NSW, so you're safe Cliff.

It also appears certain that I am unable to compete with some of the lathe / accessory collections out there. Silly me for starting the thread!

OK, maybe I'd finish in 88th position. But I will persist in matching some of those ahead of me. For a while anyway, as the wife is starting to ask questions.

Some of the better-heeled turners should publish a list of "must-haves", non-essentials etc so learning turners know what they are up for. It sure would have been handy for me - I might just have stuck with building tables and cabinets.

Over to you.

Jeff

tea lady
23rd September 2008, 05:24 PM
What say I charge an annual rental for storage of say 10% by volume. Increase that to 20% if the timber is ordinary.

Jeff
So does that mean after 10 years its yours?:?:roll: (Five if its ordinary?:p)

RETIRED
23rd September 2008, 06:25 PM
Some of the better-heeled turners should publish a list of "must-haves", non-essentials etc so learning turners know what they are up for. It sure would have been handy for me - I might just have stuck with building tables and cabinets.

Over to you.

JeffThe problem is that everyone wants to do something different.

I knew a Tasmanian turner once that for 35 years only used a home built lathe with a washing machine motor. His tools were a 1/2" skew and a 3/8" spindle gouge. He produced knife and spoon handles. He put 2 kids through to uni and paid for his house doing nothing else.

In the early days of my turning career I did legs for a lot of the furniture makers and used nothing but a 1" skew, 1/8th parting tool and a 3/8" spindle gouge. All these were done in a 3metre by 2 metre garden shed on a Technatool 1000 after using a home built wooden bed lathe for years.
As time progressed other jobs necessitated getter more and bigger machines, tools, lathes, chucks and a bigger shed. But I only bought when I needed them.

I am going to get flamed for this probably but if most people learnt to use the basic tools correctly you do not need that many for most jobs.

rsser
23rd September 2008, 06:32 PM
Well all I've got is one lathe and 3 chucks.

Hence the poor attempt to move the p*ssing ground to hollowing tools.

Which as Cliff suggested is an ambiguous term. (And how do you measure 'p*ssing'? ... nah, let's not go there).

My def: a tool for deep hollowing, and/or for end grain (for goblets, lidded boxes, pencil jars). So gouges and wide scrapers are out.

Let the stream begin!

4 x Oland
1 x 3/8" square 87 degree scraper for pencil jars
1 x Munro
1 x baby Munro
2 x Proforme shafts/heads
3 x John Jordan

rsser
23rd September 2008, 06:51 PM
Yes, 's point is a good one.

For nearly all of my faceplate work I can get away with a 3/8" superflute bowl gouge, a flat scraper, a dovetail scraper and a parting tool.

That said, I like the elegance of a good turning tool and like playing around with them.

At the same time, a new turning tool brings an overhead of learning which in time x dollar per hour terms exceeds the cost of the tool by a long margin and that reminds me of the RSPCA warning that a pet is for life, not just for Xmas, so buy wisely.

jefferson
23rd September 2008, 09:50 PM
Well all I've got is one lathe and 3 chucks.

Hence the poor attempt to move the p*ssing ground to hollowing tools.

Which as Cliff suggested is an ambiguous term. (And how do you measure 'p*ssing'? ... nah, let's not go there).

My def: a tool for deep hollowing, and/or for end grain (for goblets, lidded boxes, pencil jars). So gouges and wide scrapers are out.

Let the stream begin!

4 x Oland
1 x 3/8" square 87 degree scraper for pencil jars
1 x Munro
1 x baby Munro
2 x Proforme shafts/heads
3 x John Jordan

Well. Ern, you might have explained what a Munro and a John Jordan is!!

Or do I see some more purchases on the horizon?
Jeff

tea lady
23rd September 2008, 11:31 PM
Well. Ern, you might have explained what a Munro and a John Jordan is!!

Or do I see some more purchases on the horizon?
Jeff

No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! :no::rolleyes: Go back 3, to 's post. If you don't know what it is, and have servived so far you don't need it. Think of them Munros and Jordans as steam irons. No on really needs one.:D

Grumpy John
24th September 2008, 08:13 AM
I am going to get flamed for this probably but if most people learnt to use the basic tools correctly you do not need that many for most jobs.

Excellent point , but those Ci1 roughers are good aren't they :p.

hughie
24th September 2008, 08:57 AM
[I am going to get flamed for this probably but if most people learnt to use the basic tools correctly you do not need that many for most jobs.

[/QUOTE]

Nah! your right we tend to look for the easy way out. Thats why they invented apprenticships to make sure the knowledge was passed and commercially vaiable

Cliff Rogers
24th September 2008, 09:50 AM
.... Is the Tully shed watertight? Wettest town in Australia I believe. Are you trying to introduce spalting? Does having diverse storage locations provide any benefits?....

The roof doesn't leak on the shed in Tully, the one in Cairns has started leaking.

The only time I attempted introducing spalting I had a couple of spare logs of Kauri Pine that I put 3 cuts about 3" deep along the full length at roughly 120° to each other & then left them in our tropical plant shade house during the wet season.
It did spalt but not as good as the stuff you see in the magazines.
The main reason it is stored in so many places is that the sheds were free/empty & I have too much to fit in just one.

Ed Reiss
24th September 2008, 12:40 PM
The roof doesn't leak on the shed in Tully, the one in Cairns has started leaking.

The only time I attempted introducing spalting I had a couple of spare logs of Kauri Pine that I put 3 cuts about 3" deep along the full length at roughly 120° to each other & then left them in our tropical plant shade house during the wet season.
It did spalt but not as good as the stuff you see in the magazines.
The main reason it is stored in so many places is that the sheds were free/empty & I have too much to fit in just one.

Probably could have used more hot air in the shed!:roll:

Cliff Rogers
24th September 2008, 02:12 PM
Probably could have used more hot air in the shed!:roll:

:?

I said " .... then left them in our tropical plant shade house during the wet season"

It isn't a shed, it is a large frame covered in shade cloth with gravel on the floor & it is full of tropical plants.

During the wet season it is about 33°C (91.4°F) & 99.999% RH.... even galvanized steel goes mouldy. :D

rsser
24th September 2008, 02:28 PM
That prob explains all the chucks too.

Johncs
25th September 2008, 12:26 AM

Cheers
:no:

Ed Reiss
25th September 2008, 02:38 AM
:?

I said " .... then left them in our tropical plant shade house during the wet season"

It isn't a shed, it is a large frame covered in shade cloth with gravel on the floor & it is full of tropical plants.

During the wet season it is about 33°C (91.4°F) & 99.999% RH.... even galvanized steel goes mouldy. :D

Oh yea...missed that part!:B