PDA

View Full Version : Hanging a door

RicB
22nd September 2008, 11:55 PM
Any tips on how to hang a door? It seems a bit hit and miss to get the alignment of the hinges so the door isn,t to close to the seal battens and I won't even go into how bl00dy hard it is to make sure the marked holes for the hinges go right where they were marked :((

Shutterbug
23rd September 2008, 12:10 AM
I use self centreing drill bits for accurate hinge hole position. Works well for me.

https://www.woodcraft.com/images/products/16I40_230.jpg

Mike

pitbull
23rd September 2008, 05:02 AM
Go open plan, problem solved. :D

Fuzzie
23rd September 2008, 07:24 AM
It seems a bit hit and miss to get the alignment of the hinges so the door isn,t to close to the seal battens

I assume you are working on an internal door and if by seal battens you mean the door stops, they should be applied after the door is hung.

Tankstand
23rd September 2008, 07:38 AM
Google is your Friend! (http://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+hang+a+door&rls=com.microsoft:*:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGLR)Use It!:D

rrich
23rd September 2008, 03:11 PM
The only tip that I can offer is that when you cut the mortise for the hinges, leave the hinges slightly proud. (About the thickness of a piece of paper on both the door and jamb.) You will be amazed how well the door opens and closes.

Bob38S
23rd September 2008, 04:22 PM
The only tip that I can offer is that when you cut the mortise for the hinges, leave the hinges slightly proud. (About the thickness of a piece of paper on both the door and jamb.) You will be amazed how well the door opens and closes.

Excellent tip :2tsup: - beats the hell out of finding out from the school of hard knocks.

DAMHIK

Regards,
Bob

RicB
23rd September 2008, 04:58 PM
Thanks shutterbug, those drills look the goods, more tools to buy :ohyaaa:, and yes I did mean door stops, at the time I couldn't think of the proper terminology but at least you got the idea :D.

Yup, Google is our friend, should we close these forums and concentrate on Google :roll:

mic-d
23rd September 2008, 07:12 PM
Yup, Google is our friend, should we close these forums and concentrate on Google :roll:
Well it does seem to be a renovators forum question rather than here.:roll::roll:

Cheers
Michael

RicB
23rd September 2008, 09:07 PM
Well it does seem to be a renovators forum question rather than here.:roll::roll:

Cheers
Michael

My house is only 4 years old but I have added doors to a large family room so it can be darkened for the projector we use for movies. So......no, not a renovation.

Is it picky season or something?:smack:

mic-d
23rd September 2008, 09:52 PM
My house is only 4 years old but I have added doors to a large family room so it can be darkened for the projector we use for movies. So......no, not a renovation.

Is it picky season or something?:smack:
It was just a bit of friendly advice mate.

If you ask the question in the renovators forum you'll probably get a lot more response. The process for hanging a door is the same for a new house as for an old one.

So, why so agro?
:war:

Cheers
Michael

RicB
23rd September 2008, 11:10 PM
No agro here, just a bit miffed at some of the replies.

Fuzzie
26th September 2008, 10:01 AM
I found this site looking for something else.
Don't do it this (http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-hang-a-door)way :tdown: but the comments might help :U

billbeee
27th September 2008, 06:40 AM
When I get a hinge that’s recessed in a bit too much, the traditional way is to pack behind it with a bit of cardboard.
I’m a bit of a roughie, and really I shouldn’t be telling you guys this, but a quicker way, especially with the cheapo hinges we get nowadays is to place a nail punch up inside the hinge at the pin and slowly close the door on it. This distorts the hinge slightly and has the desired effect.
Now and again you squash your finger and sometimes you stuff the hinge completely up by doing it too much. But hey! Practice makes perfect.
Cheers
Bill.

munruben
27th September 2008, 09:55 AM
I tried to hang a door once, too heavy, ended up drowning it .:)