PDA

View Full Version : Young bloke troubles

Doughboy
23rd September 2008, 10:07 AM
My seven year old Cameron was at school yesterday, it was lunch time and he was playing tag with some friends. Good harmless fun.

He was running on the oval and was pushed by a firend (not in any way blaming him) and Cam went to the ground. Crack goes his collarbone. I get a phonecall and it is off to school then to the hospital. Four hours later he sees a Dr and it is an ugly break that takes them three hours to decide not to pin it. Only reason they did not is because he is so young and it should heal well on its own and that it did not pierce the skin, though there was an impressive lump there.

Six weeks in a sling and he has to stay immobilised for three days so it all goes back to where it should be.

Nice

Waldo
23rd September 2008, 10:41 AM
Cor, that'd hurt. :yikes:

Poor little bloke and it'd have to happen to him when the school holidays start too.

tea lady
23rd September 2008, 11:11 AM
:C Ouch!! And how do you keep a 7 year old still? My 6 year old never stops.:doh: Is it his left or right? Can he still draw? Good luck. (I won't say break a leg.:rolleyes:)

BozInOz
23rd September 2008, 11:20 AM
I've some impressible lumpy collarbones. Mountain biking seems to be a good way to do it.

From what I hear though even though it looks bad and you get this lump most people have surprising little to no effect on function. Kids also have a massive ability to remodel bone and can straighten out bones bent at 20 degrees.

Advantage of operation is you can use you arm after op and get back to work. (With some wisdom.) They would also operative, if the bone twisted under the shoulder blade pressing on vessels, nerves, lung etc.

Disadvantage of op, is that no op is risk free. It means a night in hosp, general anesthetic, risk of infection, risk of bleeding. Specifically with this op is that you have have the major arteries and nerves running to your arm just below the bone and a lung you can collapse. Just where the ortho surgeon is going to be using a air drill to screw and plate.

No good to hear you're kid's in pain. Must be distressing. But unless some rare complication occurs I'd expect that once it's healed in it'll give him very little grief.

The Bleeder
23rd September 2008, 11:29 AM
Ouch:oo:. Kids are tough though. At least now (when he gets over it) he has a story to tell. Hope all goes well for the little bloke.

Steve

joe greiner
23rd September 2008, 11:37 PM
Best wishes for a good recovery. You'll have a full plate encouraging him to endure restricted mobility. I had a broken arm at about the same age. Six weeks in plaster, and it didn't set quite right; so another 6 weeks of physio (more or less), and somewhat longer before restoration of range of motion IIRC.

I'd suggest that if possible, his "alignment" be checked occasionally to verify things don't go awry, to avoid another round of torture.

Keep smiling, Cameron; it could have been worse.

Joe

Doughboy
24th September 2008, 09:51 AM
Thanks for all the well wishes. It is his right shoulder and he is a bloody impatient patient, just like his dad!!!

Worst part about all this is his school has its end of year concert on thursday. Poor bloke said to me ' this is the worst day of my life'. We have spoken to his teacher and he thinks Cam will be able to participate in some way.

He wanted to go to school today but we wont let him till he can go toilet on his own again.

Pete

Bluegum
25th September 2008, 08:44 PM
Poor little bloke I hope he pulls up OK. Our Toddler has had a few tumbles the last few days which have left him battered and bruised but nothing broken. Hope things heal well.

Gingermick
8th October 2008, 01:35 PM
Why did it take four hours to see a doctor? What the farq was wrong with the triage nurse? And did you scream at them?
Hope the little fella is feeling better, none of mine have ever broken anything apart from crockery.

Doughboy
8th October 2008, 03:45 PM
Well apparently they see the patients in order of seriousness and according to the triage nurse his condition was not life threatening .... I asked if I threatened her life would that make it faster...... she just smiled and walked away.

He is a trooper though. Riding his push bike the next day albeit very gingerly. Poor fella is going out of his mind. Only so many books a young'n can read and he is not a big telly watcher.

Gingermick
8th October 2008, 07:41 PM
Lots of teenage car crash and drug victims? Still pretty lousy service, hospital wasn't run by NSW govmint was it?
My 6 year old went for a wizz in the middle of the night and failed to put it all away properly before zipping up quite firmly. I had to take him to the hospital, luckily they weren't too busy and he was home within an hour or so.
I still cringe thinking about that :-