PDA

View Full Version : New to Clock making

QbnDusty
23rd September 2008, 09:30 PM
Hi Clock makers.
About to start on my first clock, a Grandmother, plan 918 from HB Clock Plans.
Trouble is I am finding it difficult to work out how much timber I need from the provided materials list. I can obtain 200X25mm in American White Oak and at over $22 a meter do not want to buy too much.
If anyone has made a clock from this plan or similar, would appreciate a heads up on how much timber was used.
Regards.

Chipman
25th September 2008, 12:12 AM
Welcome to the addictive craft of clock making:2tsup::2tsup:

HB plans are good...I have made one of their grandfather clocks.

What you will find is you will need MORE timber than what is actually in the clock. Some will have faults in it (twist, bow etc) and you wont be able to use it. (I usually cut these pieces up for the shorter lengths where you can cut the bows out) In the end, I had very little wasted wood, I used it to make small insert style clocks.

I would suggest, you get a piece of paper and draw some scale drawings of your planks and then see how you can place the scaled bits of clock components on them. Don't forget to allow about 3mm for the saw cut and about 5mm to plane off in the dressing of your timber.

Good luck with it all,

Chipman:)

Hobbyhorse
25th September 2008, 06:28 AM
Good luck with the clock building.
I too have built using the HB plans and it all turned out well. For the quantities I made a fairly general calculation based on 2 metres high by the circumference of the clock and had very little left over at the end. I did use veed, tounge and groove for the back board and for the plywood panels in the front and sides in the bottom section. I was able to get 200 x 27 rough sawn European oak which seemed to be fairly economical in cutting.

Rhys:)

QbnDusty
6th October 2008, 08:23 PM
Thanks for replying fellas,waited a while in case there were more.
Using graph paper would give a more accurate requirement but life is too short to do it for the 50 odd pieces so I will do the circumference estimate and add an extra plank for good measure. Many thanks.