PDA

View Full Version : decking queries

macklin
25th March 2004, 03:33 PM
Hi.

When using the 3 4 5 method to get a right angle do you do it both corners ( ie left and right) or just one corner

When you have done the above you have to square the string lines diagonally, do you move the string line both sides to make it square or only one side ( ie assuming it is 3 mtrs on one diagonal then 3.1 on the other do you move one side 50mm then the other side 50mm) or just simply move one side the 100mm.

Are 100x100 red gum stumps OK to sink in the ground.

Thank you

Christopha
25th March 2004, 06:18 PM
3,4,5 one corner and then measure everything from there, if you start square and are then accurate with your measuring then you will finish square.
Redgum stumps in ground are OK in some areas but I would not chance it.

seriph1
25th March 2004, 10:47 PM
This is convoluted so I apologise but ......

I noted on one of the many American shows that they don't cement posts into the ground even when building fences .... they dig the hole around 20cms deeper than required then tamp in a gravel base - add the post - then fill around with more gravel, well tamped too..... this may have a lot to do with ice etc. but after seeing it, it seemed to make a lot of sense..... perhaps this approach might work for stumps as well....?

Anyway, I feel strongly that Redgum or any other timber is unsuitable for stumping..... concrete is the go as it can't rot and bugs don't eat it.

just my .002c

:)