PDA

View Full Version : Presses and adhesive

mattbwilkes
23rd September 2008, 11:43 PM
Hi, I've been practising marquetry for some years now.So far I have been fixing the veneer onto the substrate with contact adhesive as I do not have access to any form of press. I've heard of these vacuum presses but don;t know if they are any good. I have used a traditional screw-down press before and would really like to get my hands on one but am unable to locate one anywhere. Does anybody know of a better adhesive I can use without the use of a press. If anyone out there could pass on any information regarding these matters I would be very grateful.

Penpal
27th September 2008, 12:03 AM
I have a grandson same name. I recently bought such a wonderfull press, are you able to make one, it seems a piece of cake involving a threaded rod acme thread etc, if you like I can photograph mine for ideas. Send me a pm I can give you my particulars such as E Mail address. Also I picked up a dead simple unit even easier to construct.

Peter:2tsup:

chrisb691
27th September 2008, 10:46 AM
Hi, I've been practising marquetry for some years now.So far I have been fixing the veneer onto the substrate with contact adhesive as I do not have access to any form of press. I've heard of these vacuum presses but don;t know if they are any good. I have used a traditional screw-down press before and would really like to get my hands on one but am unable to locate one anywhere. Does anybody know of a better adhesive I can use without the use of a press. If anyone out there could pass on any information regarding these matters I would be very grateful.
Hi Mattb,

A simple press is very easy to make, this (http://www.redbridgemarquetrygroup.org/design_of_a_marquetry_press.htm) is the type I use.

As far as gluing goes, I use PVA glue. The water in it has the effect of swelling the veneer somwhat, and can greatly assist in closing up those annoying gaps.

chris_77
1st October 2008, 09:40 AM
Hi mattb,

I do not use press for vennering,in my work just use my hands and venner hammer.check my album if you want to see some peaces of my wennering work.

cheers

Wild Dingo
4th October 2008, 10:55 PM
Some brilliant work there Chris!! :2tsup:

Okay press... since I started marquetry of which Ive only done very limited amount... I simply lay one board of 1/2in ply slightly larger than the item Im doing then glue the substrata veneer to the Underside of the peice and lay that down onto the board then glue the veneer for the picture or door onto the top of the peice then lay another board of 1/2in ply over that...

mmm okay back up Shane... lay the peices of timber (similar to the linked one) on the bench THEN the board of 1/2in ply...

Okay onwards from the first paragraph... I then lay peices of timber to match the location of the peices of timber on the underside then use D clamps to cramp it together... I lay small peices of timber under the CENTRE of each peice of topside timber to exert pressure... if needed around the edges I use spring loaded clamps by the dozen to pressure that down.

Bit of a pain in the bum I guess but its worked every time so far... Ive got "special" peices of timber for the clamps that Ive cut notches into the ends to allow the clamps to be slid under when its all ready

OKAY!!... now what Ive recently done... I went and bought that rocket veneer press thingy from carbatex... havent used it yet... but will use it shortly

Im also planning on getting one of the larger ones (8x4 ply sheet size) but seems I have to order it from the US so thats still in the "maybe" basket.

Glue? Titebond green bottle job and water it down works a treat!

Cheers
Shane

PS... I am going to make up one of them threaded rod setups too! That looks a bloody ripper! :2tsup:

mattbwilkes
10th October 2008, 06:48 AM
Hi Mattb,

A simple press is very easy to make, this (http://www.redbridgemarquetrygroup.org/design_of_a_marquetry_press.htm) is the type I use.

As far as gluing goes, I use PVA glue. The water in it has the effect of swelling the veneer somwhat, and can greatly assist in closing up those annoying gaps.
Hi Chrisb691
Thanks for pics of your press.Think I will give it a go - gotta make a big one though to fit my work,Thanks again.

mattbwilkes
10th October 2008, 06:53 AM
Hi mattb,

I do not use press for vennering,in my work just use my hands and venner hammer.check my album if you want to see some peaces of my wennering work.

cheers
Cheers chris_77
Some nice work there.I realy like the bookmatching,keep it up.

Johncs
14th October 2008, 11:41 PM
Hi Mattb,

It should be possible to halve the number of bolts and hence the time doing them up.

At the top and bottom side of each pair of crossmembers, use a pair of short rods to bridge between the pair, and use a bolt to squeeze them together. It might not be possible to apply as much pressure, but I'd think it ample.

You could also cut dadoes or use dowels to guide things into place.