PDA

View Full Version : Fire Piston

Alan Scrivner
23rd September 2008, 11:58 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has turned a fire piston. I've seen a few on some commercial sites, but thought it might be fun to turn one myself. If you've made one, can you share the dimensions? I'm mostly curious about the rod and bore.

Thanks,
Alan

Claw Hama
24th September 2008, 12:32 AM
Ok, I give up Al, what is a fire piston?

joe greiner
24th September 2008, 01:23 AM
I didn't give up; although I probably should have.:rolleyes:

Google is our friend. Enter [fire piston] in the search field. For closer to the original question, use [woodturning "fire piston"].

A fine start for your first thread, Alan.:2tsup:

Joe

Claw Hama
24th September 2008, 07:14 AM
It was late last night Joe give me a break. Al, very cool little device, yes the old burn your fingers on the end of the bloody hot bike pump trick. Didn't realise we 800deg there though, The ones on ebay have aluminium tube with the two turned knobs and and oring to keep a good seal. A little experimentation and I think you could come up with a good design. Good luck mate.

hughie
24th September 2008, 08:52 AM
Alan,

What a good idea. :2tsup: as Joe mentioned excellent topic for a kick starter.

Dont forget to post some pics.

heres a link for anybody like myself who has not seen one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_piston

OGYT
24th September 2008, 09:18 AM
Thanks Alan, for a good thread. I never heard of these things before now. Have to put this on my to do list, also. Thanks again, and welcome to the forum.

Alan Scrivner
24th September 2008, 11:43 AM
I've got a busy work week, but I think I'll give it a go this weekend or next. I have to admit I don't need one, but it just seemed like a pretty neat conversation piece to have laying around and a nice way to show off some nice figured wood.

Alan

Stryker223
24th September 2008, 01:15 PM
Here's a web page with instructions and pictures for making a pretty simple wooden fire piston that you could turn on a lathe and easily dress up if you wanted to.
http://www.onagocag.com/piston.html

Sawdust Maker
24th September 2008, 10:48 PM
amazing stuff
must make one to show off and use to light the barbi - I can never find the matches anyway.

great question Alan and welcome to the forum :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
25th September 2008, 02:48 AM
Hi Alan...and welcome!

Fire piston, huh? Don't want to give firebugs any new ideas!!!:doh::rolleyes:

Cheers,

Ed :D