PDA

View Full Version : Wompoo pigeon

Ironwood
24th September 2008, 06:34 PM
I dont have any real pets anymore, since my dog died, and the Kookaburra's ate all my Goldfish, so I consider all the native animals that visit my home as pets.

It was sad to find a dead Wompoo outside my house, it looks like he flew into a window and killed himself (our windows and doors are tinted glass and look a bit like a mirror from the outside)

We have hundreds of palm trees (mainly Alexandras on our property), lots of pigeons, mainly Wompoo's and Torres Straight pigeons come to feed on the seeds.

I didnt want to take a photo of the dead bird, and I dont have a good pic of a live one, so I've put a link to a decent photo of one, it doesnt show its purple and yellow chest, but its a good shot all the same.

http://www.anhs.com.au/wompoo.htm

tea lady
24th September 2008, 06:57 PM
Wow! They look great. So sad to find a dead one.:C Do they make a demented sound? We have bush pigeons here. Not near the house that often thankfully. They just go ....Ooooo.....Ooooo.....Ooooo.....Ooooo.....Ooooo.....Ooooo.....Ooooo.....Ooooo.....Ooooo.....Ooooo.....Ooooo.....Ooooo.....Ooooo.....Ooooo.....Ooooo.... like forever. There was one near our camp site once in SA (where they are even MORE dementing making.) My dreams had a disco sound track.:rolleyes:

Ironwood
24th September 2008, 07:17 PM
They are a very beutiful bird, its great to see them feeding in the trees.

They make a few different sounds, the most common one they make is "whom poooooo". Which is obviously how they got their name. And other times they make gutteral noises and "wok wok" or "tok tok"

I prefer the Wompoo call to that of the Torres Straight Pigeon, which is a mournful "Wooo woooooo" sounds worse when there's a group of them

Woodlee
27th September 2008, 10:12 PM
We have a dove or pigeon around here that has acll that sounds like ,bob ork bob ork , bob ork bob ork .
When my Dad visits he reckons the bird is a re-incarnated labor party member.

We get the Torres Straight pigeon here there is a pair that come here regularly when the fruit on the Carpentaria palms are ripe .They gorge them selves on the fruit and crap a dark purple ????? and drop the seeds all over the place, when the wet comes I'm pulling up palms like weeds.
We get the pigeons by day and the flying foxes at night ,its a constant bombardment of ????? until the fruit is all gone.

They say the pigeons are good eating , I'm partial to a feed of pigeon now and then.
The palm fruit is almost ripe mmmmmmmm bbq'd squab.

The flying foxes are an aquired taste and are not for me.

Kev.