PDA

View Full Version : wooden gear clocks

crkdjwlr
25th September 2008, 11:18 AM
Hi everyone;
I am new to this forum but I have a question. I do believe that there was a link posted on free plans of how to build a wooden skeleton clock. If anyone has seen this could you please direct me to it.

Thank you.

nine fingers
25th September 2008, 01:25 PM
Hi everyone;
I am new to this forum but I have a question. I do believe that there was a link posted on free plans of how to build a wooden skeleton clock. If anyone has seen this could you please direct me to it.

Thank you.

The first clock I made was from this web site , it was clock no1, it is very basic for anyone thinking of wooden gear clock making.
Brian Laws site, http://www.woodenclocks.co.uk/
After learning the fundermentals of clocks ,I designed my own works and what timber to use for the least amount of friction.
This clock is about 3 years old and keeps resonable time ,depending on humidity.
If you require more infomation please contact me.
regards Nine Fingers:2tsup:

crkdjwlr
25th September 2008, 08:42 PM
Hi Nine Fingers;
Thank you for your reply. I was given a wooden gear hour clock with a verge and foliate escapement from a customer of mine. He had either purchased it or had it given to him and he could not get it to run. I hung it on the wall in my store and it ran great. I brought it home and it does not run as well as I guess the humidity is greater at home. I have been watching it lately and marking the gear where they mesh when it stops and have gotten it to run a little better. I liked to run about 1 hour fast per day with the weights at their outmost position. I tried lowering the weight and it stops all together so I tried adding weight to the escapement part at the top of the clock and it stops as well. Not sure just what to do. I am a goldsmith by trade and do some watch and clock repairs in my store as well so I have a pretty good understanding of how they should work, with a very mechanical mind. Wooden gear clocks are new to me but I am not about to give up any time soon. I am always open to any advise and never to old or late to learn something new.
Thanks again for the reply and I will look for your reply to this.

Take care,

Hobbyhorse
26th September 2008, 06:37 AM
If you Google "wooden clock movements" you will find numerous sites with both free plans and those for sale.

Rhys:)

crkdjwlr
26th September 2008, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the info. I will give it a whirl.

Take care.