PDA

View Full Version : Turned clock project

TTIT
25th September 2008, 11:01 PM
A friend was looking for someone to make her a clock with a photo 'attached' to it for a gift. She was after someone who does the slab/burl-slice type that they drown in resin so it ends up looking like plastic but I didn't know anyone and really don't like that style (no offence to anyone who does - just not to my taste!) so muggins offers to make her something instead :doh:. Took weeks to come up with a design but not too long to make it. I was given a choice of 3 photos but the design lent itself to use all 3 so I did.
Thought it might be a worthwhile project for some of you guys so here's how I did it, keeping in mind that there's umpteen ways to skin this cat and this was my first clock so some of the steps might seem out of sync - lots of brain-strain going on while this was evolving.:C

Pic 1. This was the final life-size design with a few (intended) dimensions on it.
Pic 2. Trued up and sanded the 'face' disc from Cotton Poplar - really bad choice as it turned out. Nice and white/pale but very woolly and difficult to get a clean surface on. 32mm thick but this depends on your movements dimensions. Note the very sophisticated 'leveling system' sitting on the ways to get the face nice and flat:U.
Pic 3. Red cedar 'frame' blank with some waste glued on - try to find waste timber similar in weight to the frame for balance. Had to fill some cracks in the Cedar with CA before I started.
Pic 4. Trued the outside and started hollowing to fit the 'face'. A couple of holes drilled in the waste make measuring easy.
Pic 5. Outside edge rounded over and hollowing done. Don't try for a tight fit with the 'face' - not necessary and might cause problems with seasonal changes.

TTIT
25th September 2008, 11:05 PM
Pic 6. Frame attached with screws from the back - drill and choose screws carefully - not much meat to grip by. I dropped some CA in each screw hole in the cedar later to strengthen the 'thread'. Attached a hefty lump of steel on the waste side to help balance for the off-centre turning and help keep the waste side of the 'face' secure. Mount a faceplate (or ring) at the clockface centre.
Pic 7. Cut a recess on the face side to suit your standard jaws.
Pic 8. Remount on the face side recess to hollow a recess in the back for your clock movement. Could have used a bit more balance weight but it was OK to about 400 r.p.m and I'm basically lazy! :shrug:
Pic 9. Reverse the clock again and mount by the clock movement recess to turn the clockface.
Pic 10. Mark and drill holes to match your plug-cutter or dowels.

TTIT
25th September 2008, 11:08 PM
Pic 11. Australian Ebony plugs glued in place. Note to self - buy better quality plug-cutters!:B
Pic 12. 1st Big mistake! :CTrimmed plugs and sanded down flush on the lathe - subsequently filling all the pores in the curly mongrel poplar with ebony dust which looks like crap and I couldn't clean it out. Note to self - SEAL FACE FIRST NEXT TIME BOOFHEAD.:~
Pic 13. Using a circle-cutter in the drill press to cut out the picture holes. You could cut these holes on the lathe or with a router but these methods would require much longer set-up times - this was the quickest and easiest way for me.
Pic 14. After rounding the front edge of the picture holes with a round-over bit in the router, I used a keyway cutter in my trimmer to cut a 2mm step for the glass to sit in.
Pic 15. Removed the waste from the frame with the bandsaw and taped a 'false centre' on the clock to work the compass from to mark out the decorations.

TTIT
25th September 2008, 11:11 PM
Pic 16. Bit of pyrography, bit of Minwax wipe-on poly and fit the clock movement - nearly there.
Pic 17. Got the daughters FIL (glazier) to cut the 2mm thick glass disks, added the photos - et voila! :U

thefixer
25th September 2008, 11:14 PM
Sensational bit of imagination beautifully executed. Awesome work.

Cheers
Shorty

Ed Reiss
25th September 2008, 11:33 PM
Excellent work TT.....you've got a winner there!!!:2tsup::2tsup:

Cheers,

Ed :D

Rookie
25th September 2008, 11:34 PM
My brain wouldn't even think that up. That's beautiful.

Cliff Rogers
25th September 2008, 11:43 PM
:2tsup:

ss_11000
26th September 2008, 12:48 AM
Awesome work Vern:clap:

bowl-basher
26th September 2008, 01:58 AM
:oo::oo::oo::oo:
Truly AWSOME
Now I know why i read this fourum
Bowl basher

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th September 2008, 02:20 AM
Yowsers! That's a very nice bit of work, Vern.

But... you don't read "Schlock Mercenary" by any chance? That bears a striking resemblance to a certain amorph's Plasma Cannon (http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20000813.html)... :D

artme
26th September 2008, 03:26 AM
:oMaate!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Tankstand
26th September 2008, 07:36 AM
Top marks Vern!:2tsup:

Great walk through from concept to finish, thanks.

Chipman
26th September 2008, 08:09 AM
Top Design and looks great:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Chipman

coffenup
26th September 2008, 08:14 AM
yes bloody marverlous work love it
regrads Michael:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

TTIT
26th September 2008, 08:47 AM
Thanks for all the comments guy's - glad you like it 'cos it means I can charge more for it:;:U
..........But... you don't read "Schlock Mercenary" by any chance? That bears a striking resemblance to a certain amorph's Plasma Cannon (http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20000813.html)... :DSprung!!!:doh: Skew - get back to the shed - that stuffs gonna bend your brain somethin' awful :o:;

OGYT
26th September 2008, 08:51 AM
Vern, ya gotta have a wanderin' mind to come up with that! Excellent. Craftsmanship, turning, imagination, the works! Looks like a winner to this old man's eyes.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
26th September 2008, 09:04 AM
Absolutely superb :2tsup::2tsup: and I don't think it matters too much where inspiration comes from.
As long as it comes (wish I'd get some sometime :doh:)

Rum Pig
26th September 2008, 09:10 AM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:WOW:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
:clap3::clap3::clap::welldone:

That is on of the nicest clocks I have seen that is all hand made, well done.

wheelinround
26th September 2008, 10:05 AM
:yourock2::yesmaster::smartass:

Excellent WIP Vern thanks

dai sensei
26th September 2008, 10:43 AM
Amazing Vern :2tsup:

You certainly have the necessary artistic skills that many of us can only dream of. Mind you, I can copy ideas pretty well :;:roll:

hughie
26th September 2008, 04:31 PM
:2tsup: Vern you've done it again. A good design well executed....apart from that

I am impressed and its timely somebody has suggested a clock for the new house.............:U

Ad de Crom
26th September 2008, 05:38 PM
Vern, you have made a wonderful clock, I'm really impressed by seeing a great design, inventivity, skills and everything.
Must be a great fun for you to develop such a wonderful clock.
Wish almost that I could grab it from the screen.
A treasure!!

Ad :2tsup:

Ruddy
26th September 2008, 07:35 PM
Very impressive work Vern. Thanks for the great detail on how you made it.
:2tsup::2tsup:

Ruddy

joe greiner
27th September 2008, 12:43 AM
That's just about the best clock design I've ever seen, just about the best description of WIP, and you learned a few things on the go. Something for all of us.

Thanks for sharing all of it, Vern.:2tsup:

Joe

Grumpy John
27th September 2008, 07:54 AM
Excellent choice of timbers (shame about the Ebony dust), excellent design, well laid out instructions. Well done Vern you should be proud.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

TTIT
27th September 2008, 01:47 PM
Flattery will get you everywhere guy's! :B:B:B

Just a thought, but do you reckon if I make another one and put photos of myself, my Dad and his Dad in it, I can call it a Grandfather clock!!! :doh:

Sorry!:;:B

Gil Jones
27th September 2008, 03:04 PM
Hi Vern, that sure is a neat, and very imaginative clock:2tsup::2tsup:
Well done!!

DJ’s Timber
27th September 2008, 04:25 PM
Excellent WIP Vern, Top Marks to you :2tsup:

wm460
29th September 2008, 05:03 PM
Great job:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

pitbull
1st October 2008, 11:22 AM
Smashing work TTIT. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Grumpy John
2nd October 2008, 02:34 PM
As I said in an earlier post, bloody fantastic job Vern. Were you able to
disguise the screw holes etc. on the back of the piece?

TTIT
3rd October 2008, 12:58 AM
As I said in an earlier post, bloody fantastic job Vern. Were you able to
disguise the screw holes etc. on the back of the piece?Didn't attempt to hide the screws John - they need to be accessible to replace the photos and will never be seen against the wall anyway :shrug: