PDA

View Full Version : I finally mastered the bowl gouge

thefixer
25th September 2008, 11:05 PM
After 2 years of trial and error and lots of grabs and the occasional naughty word:oo:, I finally got the tecnique right in bowl hollowing with the bowl gouge. I knew all along that I was doing something very wrong but being the stubborn b*****d that I am, I persisted and tonight it paid off. The feeling of elation :Dthat I felt as those long curly shavings went flying out of the bowl one after the other was nothing short of extacy. Until now I have always been apprehensive about bowl hollowing because I knew there was gunna be a lot of pain and a lot of sanding to do. But once I got it worked out it was awesome to see the sides and especially the bottom of a bowl with a smooth shine straight off the tool. I am so elated that I just had to share it with all you blokes. I now have about 2 cubic metres of curlies around my lathe coz I couldn't stop hollowing out lumps wood.:D

Cheers
Shorty
<!-- attachments -->

thefixer
25th September 2008, 11:11 PM
Oh. by the way, it was very dry hardwood, not green. That would be cheating.

Cliff Rogers
25th September 2008, 11:17 PM
It reminds me of that line from the song by the Charlie Daniels Band "The Devil Went Down to Georgia"

tea lady
25th September 2008, 11:19 PM
So they are the curlies.:? So where's the bowl(s)?:rolleyes:

'tis fun isn't it.:D

TTIT
25th September 2008, 11:22 PM
............ I am so elated that I just had to share it with all you blokes. I now have about 2 cubic metres of curlies around my lathe coz I couldn't stop hollowing out lumps wood.:D
Cheers
Shorty
<!-- attachments -->I reckon it's how women feel about chocolate :; Onya Shorty :2tsup:

thefixer
25th September 2008, 11:23 PM
It reminds me of that line from the song by the Charlie Daniels Band "The Devil Went Down to Georgia"

I just sung that song in my head (I know it word for word) and well, you've lost me :oo:

Cliff Rogers
25th September 2008, 11:23 PM
... I finally got the tecnique right in bowl hollowing with the bowl gouge....<!-- attachments -->

..... and it made a evil hiss.... :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
25th September 2008, 11:24 PM
Way to go Shorty...persistence always pays off!!:2tsup:

Cheers,

Ed :D

thefixer
25th September 2008, 11:28 PM
So they are the curlies.:? So where's the bowl(s)?:rolleyes:

'tis fun isn't it.:D

No bowls, just a pile hollow lumps of wood:D destined for the fire. Firewood with smooth shiny insides:p

thefixer
25th September 2008, 11:30 PM

Yeah, "It's a beautiful noise" isn't it.
Next artist and title Cliff.:wink:

tea lady
25th September 2008, 11:34 PM
No bowls, just a pile hollow lumps of wood:D destined for the fire. Firewood with smooth shiny insides:p
So! Out with 'em man!!!!:D

Cliff Rogers
25th September 2008, 11:40 PM
Yeah, "It's a beautiful noise" isn't it.
Next artist and title Cliff.:wink:

Neil Diamond Beautiful Noise

RETIRED
25th September 2008, 11:49 PM
You are welcome here http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=78808

thefixer
25th September 2008, 11:53 PM
So! Out with 'em man!!!!:D

OK, if you insist. But the photo quality from my phone camrea does them no justice at all.
From the left. Pencil pine: I couldn't believe I could get such a finish on pine straight off the chisel. Plum tree: this one just went swish off the tool, sounded almost musical. Unidentified: this one was the best to hollow out. Came off the tool very shiny. Cedar: I never thought I could hollow such a large piece in such a short time with such little effort.

thefixer
26th September 2008, 12:27 AM
You are welcome here http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=78808

How can I pass up such a kind offer:wink: I'll have to check with my son coz he is dying to see your big lathe as am I. I will post a preference day later.
Thanks

Cheers
Shorty

tea lady
26th September 2008, 11:15 PM
Well done.:2tsup: The cedar one has a great form. :cool:

See you at the "turn-on.":2tsup:

artme
27th September 2008, 12:12 AM
Great stuph!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Eat your heart out Goldie Locks.:D:D

bookend
2nd October 2008, 03:46 AM

So what does that make everyone who has commented or "joined in" to make it sound "something like this"?:D