PDA

View Full Version : small goblets

oldiephred
26th September 2008, 10:21 AM
Don't have it quite right yet but still working on it. Am trying to get the intersects a "woven" pattern such that they appear to go over and then under in a weave pattern but some go "over" or "under" in the wrong pattern. After reading that, if it ain't confusing nonsence then nothing is:B:doh:
Anyway they are fun to make and in case anyone doesn't know, they are called celtic knots, and if someone has a suggestion --- much appreciated.

wheelinround
26th September 2008, 10:35 AM
to get the appearance of over and under like a weave or Celtic knot a pause has to be created so a gap has to be inserted between the cross overs with the other running through
http://www.mycelticcrossstitch.com/celtic%20knot%20cross%20stitch.jpg

hughie
26th September 2008, 04:38 PM
Ho Ho Ray I gotta see that segmented one.

OldiePhred if your post was confusing what about describing Rays pic......:U

Anyway darn good job so far look foward to your progress pics. :2tsup:

Ad de Crom
26th September 2008, 05:26 PM
Oldiephred, I like it that way, nonsense, I don't think.
To get a woven pattern you have to do something more, maybe that would be nonsense.
Anyway it looks great.

Ad :)

Sawdust Maker
26th September 2008, 09:35 PM
Given that the celtic knots are made by slicing the timber and gluing in the contrasting piece I can't see how you could accomplish what you want.
Maybe if you only did half a contrasting insert at a time. Did that make sense? probably knot :no:
This tutorial (http://www.thepenshop.net/celtic.pdf)describes the celtic knot for a pen. If you followed this idea on all four sides (ie 1,2,3,4) then started at side no 3 and cut through halfway then did 2 then 1. Would that work? or do I have the order back to front? you would have to be very precise with your cuts and with matching the contrasting timber grain

the only other thing I can think of is turning oversize then cutting grooves and laminating the contrasting timber into the grooves to get the effect you desire. Knot sure that is a clear description either. :~

woodwork wally
26th September 2008, 09:49 PM
Knot sure if you come on that knot by accident you knotty sawdust maker you
sometimes it works and???? cheers wally

Sawdust Maker
26th September 2008, 10:09 PM
:doh:

this is one of those occasions where the english language just doesn't work!
I could try and draw what I mean but that would be possibly worse

Or I could try it over the next couple of weekends and see what comes of it

SWMBO has decreed gardening this weekend (tame the jungle) after gardening we'll see

PS am actually trying to be helpful for a change

Grumpy John
26th September 2008, 10:10 PM
Don't know if this helps.

This is not my work. Check out this thread. http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=16781&highlight=rolling+pin

joe greiner
27th September 2008, 01:09 AM
I've been "working" on an improved process for better alignment reliability, but haven't reduced it to jigs and prototypes yet. Part of the "development" has been drawing ink lines on salvaged cardboard tubes from paper towels or toilet paper. The same procedure could be useful for simulating cutting sequences, with full cuts and half cuts. Probably less lost motion and less wasted timber this way. I'd suggest using many different colours of ink, and a tabulated record, to keep things orderly, and to identify the optimum result, if there is one.

Joe

oldiephred
27th September 2008, 09:29 AM
I sincerely appreciate all of the input, even if I don't understand some of it:no:.
The "tutorial" looks like an unecassarily difficult way to accomplish what he wants but if it works for him------.
I'm not sure it is possible to get exactly what I want and I'm sure you can appreciate that after spending a lot of time thinking about it, it is nice to see that someone did not say "oh here is exactly how to do it". That is reason to use some language that you probably are not used to:B.
I really like the assistance you fellows (oops, we must be politically correct-- persons) provide with all requests. I'm going to do some of those rolling pins which look straight forward enough.

artme
30th September 2008, 10:31 PM
Phred,
Look up the International Penturners Association site _ Penturners.org.
They have very good tutorials on Celtic Knots.