PDA

View Full Version : Collective consciousness and mobile phones

SteveI
26th March 2004, 04:37 PM
Rule 1:
I will not get a call for half an hour and then when I do get a call, there are another three messages waiting from people who all called within 60 seconds of each other.

Rule 2:
If I check messages, there will be another person leaving a message.

Rule 3:
If I try to make a call, that is precisely the time someone will call. (the phone rings just as I hit the send button)

Rule 4:
The phone will stop ringing when my hand gets to within half an inch of the answer button.

It just all goes to show there is something to the idea of collective consciousness - ie everyone in the world thinks of the same thing at the same time..... at least when it come to my bloody phone.

In my line of work I get and make a very large number of calls and have noticed over the years a pattern in when I receive calls and they often come in groups.... so much so it just doesn't look random!..... or is it just me?

rodm
26th March 2004, 10:45 PM
Sounds like you need to store your mobile in a bucket of water for while so you can get some work done. :)
I am always amused at how a telephone call will interrupt whatever is happening including weddings and funerals - must admit I get a bit annoyed on these occasions.
I'm sure we have all seen people run to answer the phone when the same person wouldn't walk to the local shops. Perhaps this is a good thing though.
Amazing thing the old phone and it looks like in your line of business you are doomed to a life of cauliflower ear. Talking about telephone complaints do you use an earphone?

bitingmidge
26th March 2004, 11:38 PM
Steve,

No it's not just you, I suffer(ed) from the same malady.

I too had a lot of business to do on the mobile, the bill was getting out of hand.

Then I worked out how I could save 20% of my bill:- I started leaving the darned thing at home one day a week.

That worked out ok, everyone accepted the excuse and the bill went down, so I figured I could save 40% by leaving it two days a week.

Lots of people complained that they couldn't contact me until I reminded them of the obvious "we're talking now aren't we?"

All went so well, that I stopped answering the bloody thing altogether, and people stopped phoning on it, and I was suddenly $800 a month better off.

Three years later, and the phone is there for my convenience, not that of anyone else, but those rules you so succinctly set out apply none the less!

Cheers,

P