PDA

View Full Version : Diffficulty removing chuck from headstck

bryon
26th September 2008, 08:24 PM
I have a ledacraft mini lathe which does not have a spindle lock and consequently have difficulty removing the chuck after a seesion of turning. I have tried using a rubber washer which worked ok sometimes but then thought a leather washer might be better but it isn't.
So I am left to try to remove the chuck each time by placing the chuck key in its slot holding the headstock wheel as tight as I can and whacking the chuck key with a hammer which I'm fairly confident is not doing the chuck much good. Any suggestions???

RETIRED
26th September 2008, 08:37 PM
Is it possible to drill a hole in the shaft so that you can insert a bar to lock it?

Sawdust Maker
26th September 2008, 09:16 PM
Had similar problem with old lathe
can you hold spindle with spanner?
if so I clamped a piece of 1X2 approx 12 inches long in jaws and gave that a whack. worked most of the time but occasionally chuck came undone from insert :U

Ed Reiss
26th September 2008, 11:40 PM
Hi Bryon...

Am assuming that you have the MC-1018 model and that it has a hand wheel...using 's suggestion, drill a hole in the handwheel for a rod to hold the spindle.

joe greiner
27th September 2008, 01:34 AM
If there's room on the spindle hub, grind a couple flats to accommodate a spanner. This would be closer to the problem area (next to the chuck), and avoid distress on the innards of the spindle. Locate the flats so that a T-handle or tommy bar in the chuck is close to the alignment of the spanner; then squeeze the spanner and the bar together like the handles of a pliers to unscrew the chuck. If they're too far apart along the lathe axis, use two hands. Some routers are made this way instead of using a locking pin and one wrench.

Joe

Mulgabill
27th September 2008, 03:01 PM
Hey Byron!
The Ledacraft should have come with a "c" shaped tool which locks into the notches on the spindle collar. If you haven't got that use some appropriate sized metal rod to fit into the collar and a shifter on the chuck.