PDA

View Full Version : Gloat Post, Hypertherm Plasma for $113

Rossluck
27th September 2008, 11:31 AM
The other day I "won" a Hypertherm Powermax 20 plasma cutter on Ebay for $113. It was listed as maybe having a fault and needing a repair. It was the sort of risk I enjoy, so I had a go at it and got it. After a few enjoyable hours of zeroing in on it's problem, I discovered that it wasn't getting enough air pressure. Once I adjusted the air up to 120 psi, it suddenly kicked into life.

I guess this means that either the regulator is malfunctioning in some way (could be the gauge), or the micron filter is blocked up. Either way it's running now.

I know 20 amps is small, but I only want it for small stuff. It'll cut up to 10 mm apparently. Sorry about the gloat, but I had to tell someone.

ElDubya
27th September 2008, 03:40 PM
You can gloat all you like. I dont live far away from you and I need some plasma cutting done soon :)

mac 1
10th October 2008, 06:10 PM
Rossluck
Well done, l like poeple that are willing to take a risk on a peice of equipment and fix it up l do it all the time, thats why my workshop has some really cool equipment mainly woodworking equip. but just starting out on metal tools now just picked up a transach tradesman 200 amp welder and repair it.
Got any pics of the plasmacutter would be a handy peice of gear but never seen a small one. Could be next on the list.
cheers Mac 1

Woodlee
26th October 2008, 12:25 PM
The other day I "won" a Hypertherm Powermax 20 plasma cutter on Ebay for $113. It was listed as maybe having a fault and needing a repair. It was the sort of risk I enjoy, so I had a go at it and got it. After a few enjoyable hours of zeroing in on it's problem, I discovered that it wasn't getting enough air pressure. Once I adjusted the air up to 120 psi, it suddenly kicked into life.

I guess this means that either the regulator is malfunctioning in some way (could be the gauge), or the micron filter is blocked up. Either way it's running now.

I know 20 amps is small, but I only want it for small stuff. It'll cut up to 10 mm apparently. Sorry about the gloat, but I had to tell someone.

Excellent pick up there .
I was invited to a bit of trade show put on by a local business about a week ago .
They had some very nice mig welders and tigs .But the item that impressed me was the Hypotherm Powermax plasma cutter .They had the Powermax 30 on display ,I had a play with it and if I had the 3,500.00 buckaroos spare I would have bought it.
Very impressive machine.

Kev.

Rossluck
26th October 2008, 02:52 PM
Thanks Fellas. The funny thing is that I was wrong about the air pressure problem. Being new to plasma cutters I studied the cutting tip and nozzle and concluded that it was in good nick. When I ramped the air up and the plasma kicked into life, it only did so because I had created enough air volume to initiate plasma through the very open and worn out holes in the tip. I went and bought new tips and so on ($110 for five sets; almost as much as the machine!), and was shocked to see how tiny the little pin-hole that the air pushes through are.

Now it all works beautifully. I'll post a pic when I can.