PDA

View Full Version : Kelpie cross

pugwash
27th September 2008, 01:24 PM
Just finished this painting of a Kelpie cross.
Pastel on medium grey Canson paper.
Criticism and comments welcome.

Claw Hama
27th September 2008, 02:30 PM
Pugwash it's very disapointing and and concerning that you would go to
that amount of trouble and work to do a painting in pastels and not tell us the
models name and he doesn't look cross, he looks quite happy.
Excellent work, I have done some painting over the years and tried pastels
and can appreciate the work and skill required to produce this not cross dog with
no name. 10 points mate.:U

tea lady
27th September 2008, 06:46 PM
T'riffic.:2tsup: Apart from the fact that dogs are never that clean on the white bits.:no::D

pugwash
27th September 2008, 06:59 PM
[quote=tea lady;814639]T'riffic.:2tsup: Apart from the fact that dogs are never that clean on the white bits.:no::D[/quote

This is where a painting scores over a photograph.
I cleaned her up a bit on the painting. I also left out the distracting background on the original photo and the hideous pink collar she was wearing.

billbeee
28th September 2008, 10:38 AM
Hi Pugwash,
You’re a better man than me, I can never keep stuff like that clean enough, I always finish up smudging it.
You’ve got great detail in there, especially the eyes. Lets see more.
Here’s my one and only watercolour sketch worth showing. Watercolour is another medium I struggle with. It’s off a photo of a brilliant little guard dog on a job we once did, the ba…rd never left us alone, and then one day we managed to get back after lunch and the little sod was fast asleep.
How about the rest of you guys……any more pictures of dogs?
Cheers
Bill.

pugwash
28th September 2008, 12:26 PM
Good painting Bill.
Watercolour is a medium I struggle with too, it's so unforgiving.
I paint pastels on an upright easel. That way any broken or loose bits fall straight down. It cuts down on the smudging a lot.
I love painting the eyes and usually paint them early on in the painting. If you get the eyes right your'e halfway to capturing the personality of the dog.
I agree, we ought to see more artwork displayed on this forum. I know that most woodworkers are good at art and design. Let's see 'em!

Bluegum
29th September 2008, 08:24 PM
Guys they both look great. As a non artistic person I have always admired the work of those who know their way around a canvas.