PDA

View Full Version : Who's growing what tree's

matildasmate
27th September 2008, 02:08 PM
Hi all I grow mainly Wa Karri tree's , some Sydney blue gum and a mixed bag of roughly 128 species of native shrubs and gums , out of all the trees I have growing , the Wa Karri is growing the best and the Mahogany , what its real name is no idea , also the Mountain ash is growing well , the rest are also growing reasonably well , but no where near the size of the others and unlike the Karri's which I planted close together and have thrived , it would appear that many of the other species need to be planted much further apart , to get any where near the growth of the Karri , Ash and Mahogany. My area of Australia is the bottom of South Austalia . I am interested in knowing what other members are growing and what sort of growth , also would like to here from someone growing cypress . Cheers MM

derekh
27th September 2008, 08:52 PM
MM,

I have 300acres (120ha) private native forest of predominantly White Cypress (Callitris glaucophylla) and Bull-oak (Allocasuarina lehmannii). Most of it is regrowth and desperately needs a Silviculture regime applied to it. I know what to do, I just don't have the time. My place was harvest about 40years ago so my best Cypress is in the 250-300mm dbh.

I've just bought my Alaskan Small Log Mill and can't wait to see what it can do (thanks to Weisyboy for the demo and lesson). A more permanent sawmill would be desireable in the future, a Logosol type setup.

cheers
Derek

matildasmate
4th October 2008, 01:05 AM
MM,

I have 300acres (120ha) private native forest of predominantly White Cypress (Callitris glaucophylla) and Bull-oak (Allocasuarina lehmannii). Most of it is regrowth and desperately needs a Silviculture regime applied to it. I know what to do, I just don't have the time. My place was harvest about 40years ago so my best Cypress is in the 250-300mm dbh.

I've just bought my Alaskan Small Log Mill and can't wait to see what it can do (thanks to Weisyboy for the demo and lesson). A more permanent sawmill would be desireable in the future, a Logosol type setup.

cheers
Derek
Hi Derek good to here from ya mate , thought I better make some time to do a bit of dribling . 300 acres , you poor bastard , it must be terrible haveing so much scrub , to pic out what tree to cut down next :U:U:U , sounds like fun mate . I dont recomend a logosol type mill mate , I have a logosol type mill , I wouldnt bother again , I would build a procut mill , only I would have the rails at ground level and a remote throttle , less bending , less lifting also , just roll the logs on and go for it . Cheers MM

derekh
5th October 2008, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the suggestion for ProCut. I've just checked out their website and it looks like a great mill. I have four BILs who are handy with a welder, and I'm sure at least one of them owes me a favour :). Would you suggest buying the plans or design my own?

cheers
Derek

matildasmate
5th October 2008, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the suggestion for ProCut. I've just checked out their website and it looks like a great mill. I have four BILs who are handy with a welder, and I'm sure at least one of them owes me a favour :). Would you suggest buying the plans or design my own?

cheers
Derek
Depends how handy you are with a drawing program or how well you can do it on paper , I designed my own with autosketch , but have not finished them and not likely to either , I am not likely to build another mill , to many other things to do . If you can afford to , I would just buy them and get on with building the mill . Cheers MM

derekh
5th October 2008, 11:43 PM
Here's a couple of pics from the weekend.

Ibanez
5th October 2008, 11:57 PM

cheers
Derek

Derek I'm about to build a procut but it is difficult to source the hardware here in Cairns and have commenced designing my own, keep in touch

SRB

derekh
27th October 2008, 04:41 PM
SRB,

I went to Consolidated Bearing Company (http://www.conbear.com/) over the weekend to get prices for the Pillow Blocks ($36 ea), Sprockets ($35 ea) and chain. I also contacted this company (http://www.castorsandindustrial.com.au/index.html) for the V-wheels ($18 ea). The rest I can get at either 'B' or my local steel supplier.

I'm just working on my welding technique before I commit any further. I already have the 16mm rod and couplers.

cheers
Derek

matildasmate
27th October 2008, 11:01 PM
SRB,

I went to Consolidated Bearing Company (http://www.conbear.com/) over the weekend to get prices for the Pillow Blocks ($36 ea), Sprockets ($35 ea) and chain. I also contacted this company (http://www.castorsandindustrial.com.au/index.html) for the V-wheels ($18 ea). The rest I can get at either 'B' or my local steel supplier.

I'm just working on my welding technique before I commit any further. I already have the 16mm rod and couplers.

cheers
Derek
Sounds great Derek , sounds like your well on your way to builing your mill , you might like to start a new thread in the milling section , I am sure the guys in the milling section would like to see your mill progress . I will have to check thoughs sites out to . Cheers MM