PDA

View Full Version : Claw and Ball

bigAl
26th March 2004, 11:05 PM
On the next project I was planning to make some cabriole legs but I'm thinking maybe some claw and ball feet rather than the usual ones.

Does anyone have any experience with carving these little suckers? Has anyone seen any good articles on making them?

Look forward to your feedback!

Rocker
27th March 2004, 11:52 AM
Al,

I have made a couple of Chippendale style side chairs in walnut. I originally intended to give their cabriole legs ball-and-claw feet, but I wimped out and gave them trifid feet instead. There is an article on making a Chippendale stool with ball and claw feet in Fine Woodworking #135, pages 55-61. You can order the back issue on line here

http://www.taunton.com/store/pages/backissue_fw.asp

I take my hat off to you if you succeed in making some presentable ball-and-claw feet. I warn you; they are not easy:)

Rocker

bigAl
28th March 2004, 12:50 AM
Hey Rocker,

Not easy is kind of the idea. Never done it and feel sure it'll be such a horrible exercise I'll never do them again!

I was first 'really' inspired to get serious with woodworking after reading an article on a Philedelphia Chest-on-Chest in Fine Woodworking about 8 years ago.

It's taken a long time to build up the courage for this one, but I've got the Cuban Mahogany, a plan, the time and the inclination. The only thing is the claw and ball feet...

This may turn out to be the first ever Claw and Ball Club Foot.

Thanks Rocker,

Al.

Paul O'H. Ingersoll Canad
29th March 2004, 07:37 AM
Al
This book has 2 articles on ball & claw feet. " Fine woodworking on making period furniture " It was published by Taunton press in the mid 80's . Tje ISBN is 0918804302.
I have made two pieces using there method, a pic of a repro of an 18th century Queen Anne TV table was one. this is a pic of it
http://frontpage.execulink.com/pohallor/tvtab.jpg

The other was a desk.
paul

ubeaut
29th March 2004, 09:01 AM
They really aren't all that hard if you have the right tools. All you need to do is cut off all the pieces that don't look like a ball and claw foot.

The pic shows three diferent styles that were done as demo's in our carving classes years ago. It will be much easier if you can find a class that will help you.

Cheers - Neil :D

PS The first one should take you a couple of hours the next half that time and the final two half an hour each or 6 months. Oh yes, choose a timber that's easy to carve or you will wish you had never started. Maybe something like Jelutong. It will colour up to look like almost any other timber, is available in good sizes for legs and is pretty easy to carve.

Corner leg with claws at the 4 pionts of a square.
Centre: Middle leg designed for a round table or half round hall table with claws at the 4 pionts of a square.
Right: corner leg with claws towards the front of the ball rather than on the 4 points of a square.

ubeaut
29th March 2004, 11:24 AM
I shuld probably add that there are many really nice alternatives to ball and claw legs, many of which are easier to make and look great.

bigAl
31st March 2004, 02:50 AM
Hi Neal,

Many thanks for your much considered advice. Cutting off the bits that don't look like a claw and ball foot may just be crazy enough to work and seems much simpler than my idea of gluing up wood shavings to the finished shape. Makes me feel much better about wood-chipping the Mahogany.:D

Al.

Kris.Parker1
10th April 2005, 01:17 AM
Ubeaut. They look great, how are you going to stain them? How long did they take to make?

Rocker
10th April 2005, 02:39 AM
I am starting to worry about Big Al. He has not been heard of for the past year, and he was supposed to be making my rocker, once he had finished his claw and ball feet. They must be trickier than Neil says :D

Rocker