PDA

View Full Version : Bedhead completed

bobbyfmax
28th September 2008, 01:38 PM
I know its simple but it is my first real woodworking project in 30 years. I am rather proud of it. Tasmanian oak, external ply (first routing on top and rebates for ply -feel good) Wife thinks I'm cool.
bob

BobR
28th September 2008, 01:50 PM
Nice work. If wife thinks it's cool, then your on a winner.

Al B
28th September 2008, 01:54 PM
Hey Bob
You have done a great job, No wonder your wife thinks your cool. Well done :2tsup:

spokeshave
28th September 2008, 02:45 PM
Great to see you're back into the woodworking caper Bob.

Job well done.:2tsup:

Steven.

prozac
28th September 2008, 06:24 PM
Nice looking work Bob. You gonna post some more pics when you do the other end?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th September 2008, 06:29 PM
Nice, clean lines. No wonder SWMBO likes it... and she's the one whose opinion matters. :D

bobbyfmax
28th September 2008, 08:11 PM
no Prozac just just the headboard (if you note there are 2 screwholes in the bottom rail that attach to the wall.) the bed is an ensemble so I don't need or want the baseboard - too hard to make the bed.........apparently
thanx Bob

Bazza12345
30th September 2008, 12:23 PM
Hi Bob

Can you kindly tell me how you finished the ply and Oak-- stains , etc

Thanks for any info

Barry

bobbyfmax
30th September 2008, 12:53 PM
Hi Bazza
I used golden oak stain as a base then overcoated with baltic pine stain (both Wattle - oak spirit base - pine oil base) for the finish coats I bedded in with 3 coats of shellac then polished with shellac using a rubber to get the gloss level then rubbed with 0000 steel wool and gillies wax.
hope this is what you wanted (ps only took over 2 days to finish - not a long process.)

yours Bob

munruben
30th September 2008, 05:15 PM
Nice work Bob, clean straight design that works really well.:2tsup:

Bazza12345
30th September 2008, 05:23 PM
Thanks for that info Bob - I am building furniture into a motorhome - pine ply with Tas Oak trim . You used the Wattyl oil based stain for the ply and the Wattyl spirit based stain for the OAK ( if I read you right) - I will just use Satin poly over those.

Barry

bobbyfmax
30th September 2008, 06:24 PM
No Baz :no:first I stained with the spirit based golden oak the 12 hours later wiped over with oil based baltic pine. This highlights oak through the baltic pine. Mind you it looks more golden oak than pine but tj\his was the effect I wanted.

Yes a poly would be more durable than shellac in a motorhome have you considered minwax wipe on poly? Good stuff.

Bazza12345
30th September 2008, 06:52 PM
WOOPS - how did you find the spirit stain took to the ply? What was the face veneer of the ply?

Can't say I have heard of "Minwax" - where is it available?

As you can see, I am a real amateur at these things - fitting out a motorhome requires firstly- good solid construction, then it has to all "work" - and finally has to look "pretty enough" :) . As the commercial manufacturers realise, if it looks real pretty enough, the punters largely ignore the first 2 things . My wife won't though!! She will want pretty - plus the previous two.

Barry

bobbyfmax
30th September 2008, 07:13 PM
yes the stain took well. I dont know what the face veneer was (only exterior construction ply but very white,)
If you are concerned try it on the reverse side (that's what I did it also gave me the feel of how much to apply and if it needed diluting - it didn't but then I was more confident in applying it to the face side. In fact I then applied it to an offcut on the face side to make sure it was ok. the oil stain was only to get a bit of contrast and highlight the grain which it did.
You can get minwax wipe on poly at bunnings but a lot of forumites make their own and their recipes abound on this site. I'm pretty sure Wongo has a recipe if you send him a pm he will assist I am sure.
Thanx Bob
PS send pics of your van when in the process of building and on completion. Good luck.

Bazza12345
30th September 2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks for that - was in Bunnings today!!:(

Barry