PDA

View Full Version : Northen wood

rob laundy
28th September 2008, 06:19 PM
Hi all new to the site so be gentle keen wood worker Robs the name and have been
reading threads for a while Ambition to retire and build/restore wooden boat and go fishing Currently living in Darwin N.T. Have been building chairs tables clocks in my shed (20' container) finding very hard to find nice timber here to use.Any ideas/suggestions because all i have is Bunnings (????) or entire african mahogny trees/slabs

Ed Reiss
29th September 2008, 11:50 AM
Hi Rob...and welcome!

Building a boat (IMHO) is a very challenging and ambitious project....best of luck with that, and some pics, please, when finished.

munruben
29th September 2008, 01:48 PM
Welcome Rob Hope you fulfill your ambition.:2tsup:

Rum Pig
1st October 2008, 08:54 AM
Welcome Rob
Nice to see some more people from the top end:2tsup:

finding very hard to find nice timber here to use.Any ideas/suggestions because all i have is Bunnings (????) or entire african mahogny trees/slabs
Have you tried Nortruss some times they can get some nice stuff in:)
Are you able to mill your own timber if you could get logs from someone?
How long have you been in Darwin for?

Woodlee
1st October 2008, 11:22 AM
Welcome Rob ,
good to see more Topenders here ,good timber is always a problem up here ,I have bought some nice Jarrah from the place behind Kormilda College at Berrimah ,can't remember the name.

There is also a guy who has a saw mill on the highway out near Pinelands I think,or Yarrawonga.
I've also heard that Finlays stone works has timber on occasion , but never been there to check it out.

Kev

rob laundy
3rd October 2008, 10:10 PM
Thank guys thanks for the info and will look at those timber places and see
what i can find Only have thicknesser so cant mill large pieces
Will include pics of some early projects soon