PDA

View Full Version : DONE Ryobi One 18V Cordless Hammer Drill

Sparhawk
29th September 2008, 12:22 PM
I thought I would post this as there are not many reviews on this, and a lot of entry level handymen will by using these in the future due to BigB.

I received a Ryobi One 18V Cordless Hammer Drill as an early birthday present (both the batteries on by 24V GMC unit were dead).

This was the middle range in their offerings, there was a stand alone drill unit (no batteries or charger pack), the Hammer Drill pack with 2 batteries and charger (10mm chuck) for around $140, and a 13mm impact drill pack (2 batteries and charger) for around $200.

The project I needed it for was laying some flooring in the roof after installing an attic ladder last weekend.

The unit has a good feed and weight, a bit slimmer than by old cordless. The keyless chuck is easy to uses, and I didn't have bits coming loose like what happened regulaly on the GMC unit.

The unit has a 2 speed switch on top, with a 24 speed torque collar. The first problem was that the hammer setting is a collar just in front of the torque collar, and a coupple of times I switched into hammer mode by mistake (the first time took me a couple of drill holes to figure out what was wrong).

The trigger is pressure sensative, and took a while for me to get used to (I'm used to only lightly appling pressure to make release quicker). The reverse switch is easily used left or right handed, but it is very easisly knocked. Luckly is has a centre stop position so I didn't run it in the wrong directo too many times.

I can't comment on the batteries much yet, but I used it most of the morning on one charge.

tmac272
29th October 2008, 05:20 PM
Just purchased one of these myself - Will provide a review and model # details once I have had a chance to give it a run.

sailingamerican
1st November 2008, 11:51 PM
Ryobi is a good home owners line. They are well built but the batteries and torque are not there. The price is right for the homeowner. For comercial use they do not hold up and the batteries will drive you nuts charging the m all the time. I keep a Ryobi on my boat. You get what you pay for.

tmac272
18th November 2008, 04:16 PM
I have found the batteries last quite well with the Drill for jobs around the house - Must confess I have not really put the drill through any serious heavy work.

On the other hand, I also have the Ryobi 18V One Router (laminate trimmer) - Great for small edge work but under any loading the battery lasts only a couple of minutes and it really struggles with the load.

They have both served their purpose well for what I bought them for - but that said, I can see how they would really struggle in a commercial environment.

BEKKY
19th November 2008, 03:09 PM
Had a 12v Ryobi drill for about 18 months and find the batteries useless. They go flat sitting on the shelf after about a week. It then takes overnight to charge them. Too bad if you need to do something in a hurry.
I now have an 18v Black & Dekker drill 1 hour charge 2 batteries, more convenient.
I also have an 18v garden blower & whipper snipper, 4 batteries all up & all interchangeable.

tmac272
19th November 2008, 03:49 PM
Anyone had a go wi with the 18V Lithium batteries that are now available for the Ryobi One series?

jatt
19th November 2008, 09:20 PM
father bought into the Ryobi 18 V system. Purchased an angle grinder & 2 batteries.

Same issue as tmac272 bought up. Batteries dont last very long and bogs down very easily.

By the time he purchased the tool & batteries he was down close to $200.

Put it this way, once I convinced myself of how useful a cordless grinder is (We cut a few pieces of 10 mm rod on many site jobs) I bought a grinder to match the batteries on my drills. Yeah Li Ion is a goer, although I cant vouch for the Ryobi variant because my stuff is a different brand (Hitachi).

Braz
20th November 2008, 11:27 AM
G'day, I'm a relativley new member and this is my first post. I bought a 18V Ryobi Industrial Hammer drill about 8 years ago and I would have to say it has never faultered even though I have given it a pretty good workout at times. I do agree that it is easy to knock the forward/reverse switch and mine is quite a heavy unit as well compared to some of the newer drills available but it has served me well. However the NiCad batteries are next to useless now and need to be replaced but before they started to decline I could use the drill solidly for a full day on the two batteries.

MatMann
29th December 2008, 12:16 AM
just ran into ryobi's 18v li-ion batteries and charger at the green box

can be used with all one+ series machines
$150 per battery atm

bpj1968
7th January 2009, 08:57 AM
LI Ion Charger was another $80 $230 upfront without the tool

MatMann
7th January 2009, 10:56 PM
and at $299 for the basic kit

sailingamerican
9th February 2009, 04:11 PM
I thought I would post this as there are not many reviews on this, and a lot of entry level handymen will by using these in the future due to BigB.

I received a Ryobi One 18V Cordless Hammer Drill as an early birthday present (both the batteries on by 24V GMC unit were dead).

This was the middle range in their offerings, there was a stand alone drill unit (no batteries or charger pack), the Hammer Drill pack with 2 batteries and charger (10mm chuck) for around $140, and a 13mm impact drill pack (2 batteries and charger) for around $200.

The project I needed it for was laying some flooring in the roof after installing an attic ladder last weekend.

The unit has a good feed and weight, a bit slimmer than by old cordless. The keyless chuck is easy to uses, and I didn't have bits coming loose like what happened regulaly on the GMC unit.

The unit has a 2 speed switch on top, with a 24 speed torque collar. The first problem was that the hammer setting is a collar just in front of the torque collar, and a coupple of times I switched into hammer mode by mistake (the first time took me a couple of drill holes to figure out what was wrong).

The trigger is pressure sensative, and took a while for me to get used to (I'm used to only lightly appling pressure to make release quicker). The reverse switch is easily used left or right handed, but it is very easisly knocked. Luckly is has a centre stop position so I didn't run it in the wrong directo too many times.

I can't comment on the batteries much yet, but I used it most of the morning on one charge.

Ryobi here in the states is considered a home owner tool. I keep one on my boat because they are cheap and I do not need a lot of torque or battery time. You can get an 18V here for around $69. I have not hadproblems with mine. I let my son use it when we built the new fence and used a few thousand screws. The drill did not hold up like other brands I own. Then again good ones run $250 and up here. For around the house and a little home workshop it should do fine. Ryobi makes a tool that will last at a cheap price.

Sparhawk
2nd March 2009, 09:23 AM
Dropped it off the roof on Saturday (while installing a couple of Whirlybirds), didn't skip a beat.

handyrn
9th March 2009, 04:22 AM
I have the 18volt set that I have used for the past 5 years. The batteries have held up well and I use it a lot. I have just purchased the new Li-ion battery and it is really good. Recharges in an hour and lasts longer. I have used the drill, the 5" saw endlessly and been quite abusive with dropping it and the like. I also have a newer Bosch 10 volt which is a very nice tool, and will drive 300 screws on one charge. However, the Ryobi has served me well and continues to work really well. Ihave found I need to be careful when adjusting the torque so that I don't break screws or drill too fast through something. It drills and screws into hardwood with no issue. The 5" saw is also really nice due to its sixe and portability.

Waznme
25th April 2009, 10:31 PM
G'Day

Batteries must be getting cheaper Look here http://www.global-batteries.com.au/index.php/cPath/5_100?gclid=CIOW44P2i5oCFcQtpAodn115FQ

I am looking to get a new drill and like the idea of getting a couple of Li-Ion batteries and being able to get many different toys which use those same batteries.

Nobody on tis thread seems to be dead set against the RYOBI so I think that is the way I will go.

Waz