PDA

View Full Version : Wanting help with something...

losonogo
29th September 2008, 04:47 PM
Heres my question...

Im wanting to make 10-30mm sheets 500x700 out of natural resins.
I have surfed the net extensively but there is little info on how to go about this.
What has come up repeatedly is the broad uses of shellac and copal
For those that have used these products, do you think its possible???
There are many new products availabkle ie corn based polymers etc but availability stinks! Ideally im needing to know if these are flexible or rigid almost brittle? and if they are able to withstand some force without crushing?

The project im embarking on is the use of these sheets in making coffee tables and lamps instead of using timbers. Hopefully these sheets will also contain a mixture of paperstock, organic material etc. to add to the cradle to cradle theme of the pieces

I know its random but if anyone has any info on these products before i go ahead and spend too many dollars, would be greatly appreciated

AlexS
29th September 2008, 06:55 PM
Look at using casting resin.

losonogo
2nd October 2008, 12:07 AM
Ive looked at casting resins but do not have a natural alternative that fits with the cradle to cradle theme. It needs to be completely biodegradable!

Sebastiaan56
2nd October 2008, 08:30 AM
78rpm records used to be made out of shellac, look how tough they were. Part of your problem is going to be the sustainability of your supplies. All organic resins will require tapping trees to a greater or lesser extent. Unless there is an industry with the volumes you are expecting to use that is spare.....

Maybe a phonecall to CSIRO might be more useful,